News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Tint the windows or not?

Started by johnnycharger, December 25, 2015, 11:32:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnycharger

Hi guys
I have been on the fence with this for a while....
Who has aftermarket tint on their charger?  Do you like it or regret it?
Pics?

Mytur Binsdirti

I can't get into ghetto tint. Personally, I like factory tinted glass. It looks classy.

J.Bond

Yup Hate ghetto tint,  have asked in the past, if any tint manufacturers make a lighter green tint closer to the original. I kind of gave up asking tint companies that question, because, they usually think, I'm off my rocker!!!!! have not inquired for several years at this point, however, I would imagine there is a market for a lighter tint.  :Twocents:

garner7555

I took out my factory tinted glass and bought new clear glass so that I could put dark tint on it.  I will put 5% on the sides and probably 40-50% on the whole windshield.  Unfortunately my car is totally dismantled and I can't offer you any pictures.   Maybe in a couple years.   :shruggy:     I definitely will be putting dark tint on my car.   :2thumbs:    :coolgleamA:
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

Ghoste

I'm a fan of the factory tint also but thats just a personal opinion.

tan top

nother vote for the Factory tint only  :yesnod: 
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

69 OUR/TEA

JR

I worked at a tint shop for 6 years, so I maybe biased, but:

Depends on the car to me.

If its an original car, 15 inch wheels/redline tires, stock ride height, etc, it looks better with no tint.

If its modified, or a darker color, I like charcoal tint. Plus it has the functionality of keeping the cabin cooler if you drive with the windows up and A/C on.

My 70 has 35% tint on the door glass, and 15% on the rest, I love it. Not going back. Plus, it helps the two tone effect. Top half of car is black, bottom half is bright yellow.

//
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

c00nhunterjoe

I think general lees look good with dark tint

TruckDriver

Quote from: JR on December 26, 2015, 09:44:37 AM

If its an original car, 15 inch wheels/redline tires, stock ride height, etc, it looks better with no tint.

If its modified, or a darker color, I like charcoal tint. Plus it has the functionality of keeping the cabin cooler if you drive with the windows up and A/C on.

My 70 has 35% tint on the door glass, and 15% on the rest, I love it. Not going back. Plus, it helps the two tone effect. Top half of car is black, bottom half is bright yellow.
//

I totally agree with you. Cars that are pretty much stock, look best without it (or factory tint). And I mean ANY classic car. But, It depends on the car, the color of it as to relation of light or dark tint used, and a person's personal taste. Personally, if the car is modified, then it looks good with a light tint, 35% or lighter. A light colored car looks better with a lighter tint. I got 35% on my Buick which is silver,  and I got 20% on my Ram front doors, which is dark green. But it also matches the factory tint on the rear windows.

BTW, LOVE your car JR.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

JR

Thanks TruckDriver, appreciate it! :cheers:
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

myk

Irrelevant for me, since I usually drive with all of the windows down anyway.  I tore the AC system out years ago...

John_Kunkel

Since the OP is based in Kalifornia, be aware of the rules regarding window tint. Cops love to write up too-dark window tint on windshields and driver's side glass (70%).
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Mopar Nut

Prefer the factory tint here too.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

A383Wing

I had a shop tint all the windows in the Daytona before we went to Talladega...kept the inside way cooler

polywideblock

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

Mopar Nut

In Virginia 30 yrs ago, I had to have my cars inspected every six months, dark tint would not pass. I rolled down my windows before going, passed every time.  :icon_smile_big:
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Quote from: Mopar Nut on December 26, 2015, 10:27:11 PM
In Virginia 30 yrs ago, I had to have my cars inspected every six months, dark tint would not pass. I rolled down my windows before going, passed every time.  :icon_smile_big:

25 years ago, VA went to annual inspections, then soon after, took "tint" off the inspector's list of tasks to "reject" or pass  :Twocents:

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

I have tint on all my cars except the chargers. State law indicates I MUST have a pass. side mirror to tint the fronts, and I don't, so I can't.  :Twocents:

But on all else, it's there, and dark, but legal, with a waiver.

johnnycharger

Hi All
Thanks for all of the responses. I have tinted windows on my daily and love it. If I did the charger it would only be the back three windows because of California law. My windows are all down about 95% of the time. Being as it is flat black now... I think it would add to the looks.
I had never given thought about relating it to rim size. I think that is pretty dang smart. I may wait until I upgrade my 15" slots to 17" wheels....

johnnycharger

Quote from: JR on December 26, 2015, 09:44:37 AM

//

Great way to look at it! Nice Charger!!!

johnnycharger

Quote from: A383Wing on December 26, 2015, 03:26:56 PM
I had a shop tint all the windows in the Daytona before we went to Talladega...kept the inside way cooler

That looks awesome!

Lennard

I'm going to have my windows tinted when I'm putting it back together.

MoparMotel

I do... Black on black 68' and have all windows 5% except windshield
1968 Dodge Charger

thrillbilly

Agreed, original looking cars no, modified, the darker the better.  Does suck at night though.
"She ain't revved till the rods are thrown"  DBT