News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

'68 Charger 318 4-speed on Craigslist?

Started by bill440rt, March 12, 2013, 09:51:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bill440rt

Spotted this scanning the local ads this morning. Strange combo, if it's original.
Anyone know the production numbers on this??
Looks like it was originally maroon or perhaps bronze.

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/3675868007.html
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

mopar0166

Nice find, i never heard of a small block 4 speed car.. might be cool if it were orignal.  Not for that price though

projectanimal

Nice find Bill!  Thought you were going to play spot the dog with the first picture!!  LOL :smilielol:   It's under the driver side wheel!!! 
northwest CT

bill440rt

Quote from: projectanimal on March 12, 2013, 10:18:00 AM
Nice find Bill!  Thought you were going to play spot the dog with the first picture!!  LOL :smilielol:   It's under the driver side wheel!!!  

And two more coming around the passenger front! LOL (Actually, is that brown one a cat??   :scratchchin:   :smilielol:  )

I do agree the price seems a little inflated, unless the production numbers are miniscule. Appears to be a solid car, though.

** Post update: I'm doubting if it's original. The floor around the shifter boot is boogered up. Looks like a hump grafted in with sheetmetal screws or rivets.  :eek2:
More than likely an auto converted to a 4-spd.
According to my books a 4-spd manual was N/A with a 318, & a 3-spd manual WAS column shift.
Just another unicorn...  
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

bakerhillpins

I was under the impression that the only std trans option on a 68 Charger small block was a 3 on the tree.
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

Charger-Bodie

My guess is that it was a 3 on the tree originally and someone swapped it out for a 4 speed. Take a look at the awesome floor hump.  :Twocents:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

bill440rt

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on March 12, 2013, 10:37:08 AM
My guess is that it was a 3 on the tree originally and someone swapped it out for a 4 speed. Take a look at the awesome floor hump.  :Twocents:

Yep, saw that too. Just updated my post Brian, while these other posts were coming up.   :2thumbs:

GOTWING

projectanimal

Quote from: bill440rt on March 12, 2013, 10:33:26 AM
Quote from: projectanimal on March 12, 2013, 10:18:00 AM
Nice find Bill!  Thought you were going to play spot the dog with the first picture!!  LOL :smilielol:   It's under the driver side wheel!!!  

And two more coming around the passenger front! LOL (Actually, is that brown one a cat??   :scratchchin:   :smilielol:  )

I do agree the price seems a little inflated, unless the production numbers are miniscule. Appears to be a solid car, though.

I wasn't sure of that was a cat, but I saw the others running around and assumed it was the little dog!!  :shruggy:
Seems like a good starter project for the right price... :popcrn:
northwest CT

lukedukem

1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

1BAD68

word of the day - "rathered" as in "might trade if i see something i want but cash is rathered"

I really didn't think that was a word but according to urban dictionary...

"Getting lied to, but finding out about it. Comes from the fact that Dan Rather lied to America, but got caught.
I can't believe that she Dan Rathered me!"

A383Wing

VegasCharger

Quote from: 1BAD68 on March 12, 2013, 12:53:22 PM
word of the day - "rathered" as in "might trade if i see something i want but cash is rathered"

I really didn't think that was a word but according to urban dictionary...

"Getting lied to, but finding out about it. Comes from the fact that Dan Rather lied to America, but got caught.
I can't believe that she Dan Rathered me!"

Now that's helluv funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :smilielol:

Chad L. Magee

Quote from: bakerhillpins on March 12, 2013, 10:33:46 AM
I was under the impression that the only std trans option on a 68 Charger small block was a 3 on the tree.

You are correct.  Same deal with /6 Chargers of that year.  There were aprox. 40-50 or so of the 1968 318 Chargers with the three on the tree manual transmission made.  Maybe 10 or so are left in any condition.  The production number is a best guess, as the actual production numbers for these were lost to time.  I used to have a yellow/gold one....
Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......

HOTROD

He is lieing his Ass off !! Wonder were he dug that up ??
What the Hell-Dumass !

F8-4life

Oh man LOL, cash is "rathered" stuck out to me to!