News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

superbird value

Started by boss429kiwi, March 10, 2013, 08:50:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boss429kiwi

Yes, it is the question everyone hates to ask and answer.

The reason why I am asking this, is because I am trying to determine if its best to restore my Bird or sell and buy an equilivant optioned "concours" restored Bird.

Its a, 6 pack, 4 speed, buckets, console Bird in tor red. It is a good original driver with one nasty 80's? paint job, but looks great from 20ft (inside doors, hood, boot, original paint and decals etc).
Re-built engine by Ray Barton 2001
All numbers matching.

Value now?
Value purchasing the same "concours" restored?

Your thoughts

NEW ZEALAND (aka Paradise)
1973 De Tomaso Pantera GTS widebody
1970 Superbird, 6pack, 4 speed, Tor-Red, Buckets, restored by Julius
1970 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed, calypso Coral, white shaker
1970 Boss 429 KK2457, Concours, Calypso Coral (SOLD)
1957 Chevy truck, big rear window, ocean green, STOCK!.....nice!

rob-dirt

WINGIN IT

Quote from: boss429kiwi on March 10, 2013, 08:50:40 PM

.. if its best to restore my Bird or sell and buy an equilivant optioned "concours" restored Bird.

When you "restore" yours, do you mean to a concourse level?
If that's the case then I would imagine you would have more money in it then it's worth
( previous purchase price plus cost of concourse resto) .

If you just need paint and detailing then I think it would make sense to keep it depending how attached you are to the car, and  the level of detailing you want.

Else I would sell it and buy a concourse car if that's what you really want.
:Twocents:

boss429kiwi

OK, let me put it this way  :shruggy:

What is value of a concours restored Superbird, 6 pack, 4 speed, tor red, highly optioned etc
I am guessing $150K to $160US  :shruggy:

note: I am in New Zealand, so besides Ebay and a couple of auction sites, its very differcult to gauge what is happening over there. This info will help me with my next move, as I have a very keen Australian buyer interested in my car.

Thanks
Gary

440mop

Hi Gary,
I think that you should restore the car you have got; You can control the pace and quality of the restoration, you will know exactly what has been done to the car. It will always be a gamble buying another car and the added cost of transportation and insurance and once it has landed our G.S.T. plus compliancing costs will make it an expensive endeavour, unless that is you are getting a VERY good price for the 'Bird.
John
440 4spd Daytona - Sold
Auckland New Zealand

boss429kiwi

Hi John, thanks for your suggestion, which is the angle I think I will take.

I am just weighting up my options, with a keen buyer in hand.
One option is a restored HEMI Superbird that has been offered to me etc, but its an auto, bench seat  :eek2:
My personal taste, is I would rather have a 6 pack with all the trimmings! etc

I have a very keen buyer who just happens to WANT (must be) a 6pack, 4 speed, buckets, superbird in tor red, and it is obviously a buyers market, so weighting up my options.

Gary

pettybird

What's it cost to import another one with shipping and duties?  That's something we don't have to deal with at all.  You also won't have to pay taxes on the one you already own.  Seems like that would add a decent amount to whatever you'd have to pay for the next car. 

WINGIN IT

Quote from: boss429kiwi on March 12, 2013, 05:06:55 PM
OK, let me put it this way  :shruggy:

What is value of a concours restored Superbird, 6 pack, 4 speed, tor red, highly optioned etc
I am guessing $150K to $160US  :shruggy:

I'd agree with your range for a concourse bird, but I'm sure others have other opinions.

So if you want a concourse car, does that mean you want a trailer queen and not drive it? Just asking what your motivation is.

68X426

Quote from: boss429kiwi on March 12, 2013, 06:44:01 PM

I have a very keen buyer who just happens to WANT (must be) a 6pack, 4 speed, buckets, superbird in tor red

A Bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

I had to say it. We all say it here in the States. Do you Kiwis say it?

Seriously, consider that you have a buyer now, so it is truly "a Bird in the hand ...."

So consider the value of selling right now, as is.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

rainbow4jd

Well, I am doing a Concours level because frankly the car is too valueable for me to drive - and I really love "driver cars".   When its finished - it will go to the trailer.   I then may choose to do a clone for just fun, or a resto mod "one of one".

I am also of the opinion that top line restorations are where the market is headed.   They only made 1935 and 503 and eventually the average cars will be the exception.  So the quicker you get to Concours the more the car will bring.

From an ROI standpoint - its a question of what return will I get for each dollar of restoration?   I am figuring 3 to 1 for Concours.   $50,000 in restoration returns $150,000 in sale.  For something less than Concours I am figuring 2 to 1.  i.e $20K returns $40K in value.

remta1

Quote from: pettybird on March 13, 2013, 08:44:03 AM
What's it cost to import another one with shipping and duties?  That's something we don't have to deal with at all.  You also won't have to pay taxes on the one you already own.  Seems like that would add a decent amount to whatever you'd have to pay for the next car.  

total cost of car $usd ???
+shipping from Los Angeles $2000 usd
additional costs if car elswhere to get it to Los Angeles port
+insurance 1 to 2 % value of the car purchase price
+cost to "de-van " the $usd $1400 approx if the car checks out ok , if they find any rust they can" flag" it at the border control check and the car cant be driven until a repair cert is done so
all the costs are converted to new Zealand dollars ( and we loose on the exchange rate when it is being converted
then the total costs are all added up and must be paid, and then they charge you 15% tax on top of all that
+cost of rust repair ????
+cost of repair cert usd $500
then all of the above costs apart from the repair cert and the compliance cost ( all the interior is pulled out and every nut bolt and screw checked , if they find something they dont like you must replace it ( so if the car is not up to scratch it can end up to be very expensive )
+if the above costs are low it is usually approx usd $1500
+ 12 months registration usd $400

Mopar Nut

Quote from: 440mop on March 12, 2013, 06:06:24 PM
Hi Gary,
I think that you should restore the car you have got; You can control the pace and quality of the restoration, you will know exactly what has been done to the car. It will always be a gamble buying another car and the added cost of transportation and insurance and once it has landed our G.S.T. plus compliancing costs will make it an expensive endeavour, unless that is you are getting a VERY good price for the 'Bird.
John
:iagree:
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

boss429kiwi

Hi

I am we'll aware of importing costs to NZ, as i have imported many times, but we are forgetting the sale price of the current Bird, its outstanding. It outways any import costs. I have much experience buying and sell "high" end cars and I know a genuine buyer when I see one.

Anyhow, the buyer is flying to view the bird next weekend, so I am needing to make a decision this weekend.
I have given this much thought and I have decided to keep my superbird and restore to concours in the near future.
1. The hemi option would be nice, but has poor other options.
2. Not knowing the restored birds history.

The division decider, as someone emailed me
3. "Try finding a concours 6 pack, 4 speed, buckets bird in a desirable color, with good history"
As I guess this is why the Australian buyer is so interested in mine? I'm not saying they are not out there, but buying a good one could be problematic.

Anyhow thanks for your input.

Gary

Aero426

Gary, I think you have made a wise decision.   You have a near top of the heap equipped car as it is. 

remta1

Quote from: boss429kiwi on March 16, 2013, 03:02:50 PM
Hi

I am we'll aware of importing costs to NZ, as i have imported many times, but we are forgetting the sale price of the current Bird, its outstanding. It outways any import costs. I have much experience buying and sell "high" end cars and I know a genuine buyer when I see one.

umm..... sort of put this in for Pettybirds question , hope you didnt take my answer wrong :cheers:

440mop

Gary,
I'm glad that you have decided to restore the "bird, it does deserve it ...... and we can never have too many aero cars over here!
John
440 4spd Daytona - Sold
Auckland New Zealand

Mopar Nut

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

SBBob

Superbird Bob - 426 Hemi, 4 Speed, 3.54 Track Pack