News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

if i put a turbo on a stock 400?

Started by Wicked72, March 05, 2013, 07:49:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wicked72

Ive got a stock 400 and nothing forged. But i was thinking about throwing a turbo from something on it maybe run 5 lbs with a blow thru carb maybe run some water/meth inj to keep det down some. I figure 8.2:1 comp its ment to be!! But im wondering how long i could get away with it?
M-Massively O-Over P-Powered A-And R-Respected

Cooter

How long can you get away with smoking before you catch Cancer...

A stock, cast piston, low comp, cast crank, 2bolt main, stock block, 400 will live for a little while, but the thing to remember here is, while you "plan" on "only" running 5 Lbs of boost, that will go out the window VERY quick once you get a dose of boost. I've found this to be the case with Nitrous.

A little dab will do ya until that gets old. then, it's 10 Lbs, then 15 Lbs, then 25 Lbs. until, BOOM!
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

JB400

I believe with the cost of doing a correct turbo setup , you'd have enough in it to do a rebuild that will get the performance you're looking for.

AKcharger

Scaregrabber

I wouldn't worry at 10 lbs boost with a stock crank and pistons. How is the ring and valve seal now though?

Sheldon

metalstorm440

Thru what heads?,cam lift/dur?I am sure water/meth inj would help a lot with IAT and fuel/timing limits.

Cooter

Just take it easy with the amount of timing and boost you are running.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Brutalowner

In the 70's A company called RV Turbo Inc. in Houston TX. sold a kit for the RB in motorhomes. It was a draw thru style, designed to use the OE T.Q. carb. It used a Rayjay turbo & water injection. Modifications to the TQ were pretty simple. IIRC, it made about 7-10lbs. They stated in the owners manual that it would add 15-20% power and torque. I knew several guys with 30"+ motorhomes that would really get down the road with this setup. Don't remember any issues but it was a long time ago...
69 Charger
68 Coronet R/T 440/727
57 300C 392 H word
76 W250 Crew 5.9Magnum 5spd
76 RC 440 4spd

areibel

If you can do some of the fabricatqing I think it's possible, and would be cool as Hell!
Check out Allpar, there are a couple articles ther on slant six turbo conversions.  A 400 would probably be best with two smaller ones, along with the necessary fresh air intake(s) and plumbing to the plenum box (if you're going to do a blow through system, the easiest).  Basically the outputs from the turbos go into a pressurized box that surrounds the carb that's sealed.  Back in the 80's ther was a guy that put out a newsletter about turbo'ing the Leaning Tower of Power, and a lot of what he covered would work on a V8. 
Like Cooter said, you can't go nuts with the boost but if you want to do some experimenting it would be a good start.  I can't remember all the details, I believe ther were some mods required for the carb besides rejetting.  I think you had to do something to the floats so they wouldn't saturate or collapse, and then re adjust the float height but I'd have to dig out the articles (if I can find them).  I think they were using the stock turbo that came on the 2.2 cars on the Slant Six, and two of them should do on a 400- you're not looking at trying to get huge boost numbers.  If you rebuilt later and wanted duals, you could go with two of the GM Buic 3.8 turbos to get going.
Start Googling, and have fun!

Wicked72

As far as the specs of motor i have no idea. while its in the car for now im running a dual plane intake with a 600cfm carb, ill switch to my single plane when boosted. when i removed the old intake it was very clean, i was told it only had abt 23k miles on it and it looks to be true. I could care less as long as I can get it to run I payed $300 for the complete carb to pan plus 727 so im not worried plus i have another 400 bare block thats going to be built for boost. i just wanna have a big block will a little more then 200hp till the final motor is built. it will give me time to play with the carb and get some stuff setup. I want to setup a rear mounted turbo so i can keep my headers since i plan on supercharging the car. I need to look for a good size for the turbo that fits the engine size somewhat well. and hopefully find a good blow thru i would use for the future build. So in all yeah I just wanna have fun!!!!

cdr

Quote from: Brutalowner on March 06, 2013, 09:39:05 AM
In the 70's A company called RV Turbo Inc. in Houston TX. sold a kit for the RB in motorhomes. It was a draw thru style, designed to use the OE T.Q. carb. It used a Rayjay turbo & water injection. Modifications to the TQ were pretty simple. IIRC, it made about 7-10lbs. They stated in the owners manual that it would add 15-20% power and torque. I knew several guys with 30"+ motorhomes that would really get down the road with this setup. Don't remember any issues but it was a long time ago...

if i remember the guys name was Kenneth,he bought parts from me to do the conversions,he never had any engine problems that i knew of.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Wicked72

so i just picked up a stage 1 snow performance kit, i found a guy on craigslist that has two turbos off a 454 for $500 but i feel like they are over sized. im going with a rear mount setup so the turbine housing should be a little smaller. no  idea what trim they are but they use 3 inch down pipes and the turbine housings are .96 ar, i would think something in the 80s would be better if i went with twins. however i may just use a single turbo which will be alot cheaper but have a bit more lag. im not looking to spend a ton of money on this setup but im not going to buy junk either. im going to calculate the size turbo i need soon, using junkyardturbo.com for the equations.  anyone have an idea how a stock 727 tq converter will act and handle a turbo?

68CoronetRT

A friend of mine has a STOCK.... yes STOCK 318 in his 68 Charger(Never rebuilt). Decided it would be a good idea to run Eddy heads and twin turbos and a custom fuel management. So a bunch of money in a custom aluminum intake and piping etc... he had his twin turbo 318. Put down 518 to the wheels and has been driving it for 3 years now with no signs of wear.

But like stated before. You start out small and then you get the bug and want more. I was the same way with my 22re turbo build. Started out having a whatever attitude, it was better than stock. Then I wanted the power.

Infact we are tossing the idea around for a mid compression 440 with 1 large turbo.... But I doubt that will ever take off since I want a high compression pump gas 440 that sounds pissed off.

Cooter

Quote from: 68CoronetRT on March 17, 2013, 12:13:45 PM
A friend of mine has a STOCK.... yes STOCK 318 in his 68 Charger(Never rebuilt). Decided it would be a good idea to run Eddy heads and twin turbos and a custom fuel management. So a bunch of money in a custom aluminum intake and piping etc... he had his twin turbo 318. Put down 518 to the wheels and has been driving it for 3 years now with no signs of wear.

But like stated before. You start out small and then you get the bug and want more. I was the same way with my 22re turbo build. Started out having a whatever attitude, it was better than stock. Then I wanted the power.

:2thumbs:
T-minus....10........9.........8.....

Wicked72

I think I may go with a paxton setup instead. they are reasonably priced 8psi wheel on it. just need to get a blow thru. ive seen setups with the boost hose under the carb, how does that even work? i would imagine the pressure would blow out the carb and are they even a special carb?

FLG

Its all in the tune, tune tune tune tune...did i mention, tune?

I have a 330whp 87 BMW running 14 lbs (working on 20 and over 400whp just had fuel pump issues), this is a straight 6 2.7L motor, stock internals, stock everything, just arp head studs and new bearings/rings/rockers...ect

A 400 will be fine at 5 lbs, but as others stated...boost is addictive.

Wicked72

I know about the boost addiction. My 99 f350 is running a conservative 50psi  ;) And yeah the tune means eveything, I have a stage 1 snow performance setup so that will help keep the det down. gotta get the funds together for the carb and super charger. Im not in any hurry just working on getting the car on the road is my number 1. if i happen to run across a good deal on something ill snatch it up.