News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Milling divider on intake

Started by Chippa, March 01, 2013, 07:35:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chippa

Ok guys heres another one for the well versed.....

I'm currently saving up for a new stainless 2.5-3.0 inch exhaust system to replace the old crappy 2 1/4 system that has no X or H pipe and some crappy Midas mufflers.

While i'm waiting to save up some pennies i have trying to read up on some cheap mods to help my 440 out a little more...

Sooo my motor has the older Edelbrock performer 440 dual intake manifold ( i know its not the best) and 750 vac Holley and i was thinking about getting the die grinder out and milling down the Divider and/or putting in a 4 hole tapered spacer...

Tell me your thoughts guys.....

440 (78)
906 heads (cleaned up with hardened valve seats)
10.5:1 pistons
Hooker headers 1 7/8
Mild cam (not sure of specs running 8-9Hg in gear)
727 with with shift kit and std converter (i think)
3.23 gears

This is just me wanting to play around with things until i can afford a better setup overall and making the most of what i have for the time being....

Cheers Chippa

mauve66

the current eddy rpm air gap manifold has like a partial divider, look for a pic on their site and make your own
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

Chippa

Yeah already had a look but trying to work out how far down i should go,should i just go with an open spacer instead if i have the room, and if i do hog out some of the divider will it require me to jet up etc on the Holley ????

Kern Dog

Milling the center divider in a dual plane intake will result in a loss of torque with little to no gains in the top end.

JB400

I'd use the spacer, but that's just me.  If you want to any significant work to your intake with a die grinder, I'd do some port matching. :2thumbs:

Chryco Psycho

Save your pennies for any other intake , even a stock intake works better

Chippa

Yes that is the better alternative for sure Chryco.....Are they really that shitty??...i guess after posting the pics in another thread a while back of my plugs it does indicate less than desirable fuel distribution..was just a thought as i'm not afraid to experiment  :2thumbs:

In the next couple of months i will hopefully get my new 2.5-3.0 inch exhaust system (retaining the Hooker Headers for now) to replace the crappy 2 1/4 that has probably been on the car for 20 yrs as the piggy bank was running a bit dry when i had finished semi restoring the car and that really needs doing first...then if i have enough funds left over After that my wish list will be as follows...

New Dual plane intake and possibly new Carb
Ali Heads
Cam
replace Orange ECU or just buy a backup one

At least once i pull the 906 heads i can sus out some specifics in relation to piston/deck height etc

Chippa  :cheers:

Chryco Psycho

Yes those intakes are that bad !!
Anything is an improvement you shoulo dbe able to find a used intake for $100 or so
Look at the Rev-N-Ator ECU

Chippa

Sent a email to Laura in regards to rev-n-ator and got a reply, i have tried to trawl thru as many threads as i can to learn more about this unit

I have had no probs with the orange box ecu but if this unit will help give a better spark etc then thats good  :2thumbs: i still dont know what the down sides are to a std orange ecu so i'll start looking at that...most of my time is spent in cruise mode but it will be nice to know if i stand on it the ignition system will be up to the task...

I like the idea of just plug and play...i was looking at the streetfire ecu before you mentioned this one

Cheers  :cheers:

68r/t

Quote from: Chippa on May 14, 2013, 09:03:10 PM
Sent a email to Laura in regards to rev-n-ator and got a reply, i have tried to trawl thru as many threads as i can to learn more about this unit

I have had no probs with the orange box ecu but if this unit will help give a better spark etc then thats good  :2thumbs: i still dont know what the down sides are to a std orange ecu so i'll start looking at that...most of my time is spent in cruise mode but it will be nice to know if i stand on it the ignition system will be up to the task...

I like the idea of just plug and play...i was looking at the streetfire ecu before you mentioned this one

Cheers  :cheers:
I installed the revnator box not long ago,as my fbo box failed after 3000 miles, the revnator box is great, can definitely feel more throttle response and mid- upper range power over the orange box and the rev limiter is a bonus.  I still keep a spare orange box in the car just in case a box fails.
I would buy another without hesitation.  

Chippa

Cheers for that 68 R/T.......from memory i think your North of the River yes?? Your car is beautifully done so if you have put one on your ride then its good enough for me  :2thumbs:

68r/t

Quote from: Chippa on May 16, 2013, 12:38:07 AM
Cheers for that 68 R/T.......from memory i think your North of the River yes?? Your car is beautifully done so if you have put one on your ride then its good enough for me  :2thumbs:
Yes I'm north, joondalup way, I also went with there recommended msd blaster coil,there  great people to deal with and a 3 year warranty to boot.