News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

383 engine oil

Started by 68chargerboy, February 16, 2006, 08:19:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68chargerboy

what kind of oil should i use in my stock 383.  5w-20 10w-30?  thanks.

Plumcrazy

10w-40 would be my choice.

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

sext7366

wow really guys...I've always used straight 30 weight, and ive got my engine in to a rebuild shop right now and thats what the guy reccomends on any older engines.  Course I live in Oklahoma where summer temps get up past 100.

Chryco Psycho

after approx 5000 miles you can switch to 5-50 synthetic,  just don`t do ti before that to let the rings seat in properly

deputycrawford

My 383 will be close after this sumer. Will 5W-50 synthetic make that much of a difference? I mean power or engine life.
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

Chryco Psycho

Yes , it has far better resistance to heat & breaking down of the oil  it also will free up a little HP , I use synthetic in the diff & tranny too

deputycrawford

I will keep that in mind. I may only have 3000 miles on the motor but I have around 30 passes at the track. I will think about it at my spring oil change.
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

Ghoste

I've been using 10w-30 in my car but I may try switching to synthetic this year myself.  It's expensive but I waste money on much less needed items for the car so I might as well do something useful.

BigBlockSam

my motor in my charger has about 50000 miles. can i switch to synthetic?  I've been told that i can't. that the motor would develop leaks. is that true. Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Chryco Psycho

possibly but not nessisarily , it doesn`t hurt to retighten a lot of the places fro potential leaks like oil pan , valve covers, intakes etc anyway

Ghoste

Why would it develop leaks switching to it later on?

BigBlockSam

i think i'll just keep using the oil i'm using. i don;t need any new problems. thanks Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

Chryco Psycho

there are a few reasons why this can happen , if the synthetic cleans better it can remove carbon deposits & if the seal is hardened it may not seal as well on the cleaner surface

Ghoste

It's fair to say then, that a higher mileage engine could develop these leaks even if it had the synthetic from day one?

BigBlockSam