News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Remote Oil Filter Kit

Started by mikeydf14, February 22, 2013, 06:49:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeydf14

I was putting on the grille, valance and other front parts on my 68 yesterday at the resto shop when the body guy came over and saw the location of the oil filter on my 383. Yes it is a royal pain in the butt to change it and not get oil all over the K-frame, etc. He mentioned that I should consider a remote oil filter mount where I can relocate the filter in a more accessible place and not have as big a mess changing oil.  He said Summit has them and I looked and they are about $60 for the kit. Any thoughts on that and does anyone have any experience with one?

Cooter

I dunno, maybe these have come along way since 1990 when I last used one, but the hoses in mine didn't seem to hold up to the extreme heat of engine oil too well right at the fittings. Little "yellow" plastic seals or something liked to melt.

Made just as much of a mess using a remote set up IMO. I simply use a piece of plastic/cardboard/etc. to direct the hot oil OFF the K-member and find the stock location of the oil filter is just fine. Maybe it's just me? :shruggy:
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

mikeydf14

Actually Cooter I was thinking the same thing about using something to direct the oil away from the K Frame. All this resto work has to be protected somehow. I would assume that technology has improved the oil line construction but I am still not sure!  Thanks....................

Dino

Let all the oil run over the k member and once you're done go out for a drive, it's the best undercoating you'll ever find.   :icon_smile_big:

Piece of cardboard to guide it in the pan works just fine, no need for all that 'as seen on tv' crap.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

resq302

I just got one of those thin / sheet flexible teflon cutting boards.  Contours to the desired shape nicely and cleans off for reuse even easier.   :2thumbs:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

John_Kunkel

The remote filter adapters and mounts are usually threaded 1/2"-NPT so you can use AN fittings and aircraft quality hoses if you prefer.

There are advantages, other than cleanliness, to mounting the filter remote.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.