News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What Camshaft would you get to match Engle K56/58 Grind

Started by ScatPacker, February 16, 2013, 10:34:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScatPacker

Hello all

i noticed a lot of great posts with camshaft recommendations are a few years old.

What currently is the best equivalent to Engle K56/58 Grind for a 440? 1 or 3 bolt cam not an issue

The K56 matches my current build. Engle has changed there catalog i was thinking of calling them on Monday but i have a feeling a custom grind will be pricey.
The Lunati Voodoo Camshafts 60303 is very close. there are some recommending using 112 LSA if using HP Factory exhaust. I like the way they look will a 110 LSA
really be an issue.

Thanks for a reply

Bill

firefighter3931

A custom cam isn't that much more expensive than an off the shelf grind....maybe $25-$30 or so so you might as well get what you want in terms of split pattern and lobe seperation. Yes the 112* is a better choice for a manifold type exhaust but a 110* will also work....just won't scavenge as well as the wider lobed grind.  :Twocents:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

ScatPacker

Thanks for the reply Ron

I will give them a call. I was not real familiar with the term scavenge and have been doing a lot of reading about it. There is really a lot that goes into a cam selection as far as your engine internals and how you plan on driving and what to expect as far as low end or high end performance. The cam profile in relation to CR matchup, valve springs and rocker set up and drivetrain.

Reading different articles I was able to determine that overlap causes a scavenging effect when the rpm increases but that's when the engine comes alive. The sound of like the Thumper cam that we all like, but a vacuum nightmare power brakes etc.. You could end up with a dog no low end torque unless you have high rear end ring gears and a big stall converter to get up your rpm's quicker, than the scavenger does its thing to increase cylinder pressure for max rpm. Something like that

I still don't get the whole thing but now it's becoming logical to me. I'm going to be a basket case when it's time to degree the cam I finally choose, but I want to do it right the 1st time. The cam in my motor was a Comp 280H grind. The lifters had circle marks and a few with indented lines straight across. I measured the lobes and they were all over the map with a bent pushrod to boot. 4 pushrods were a different type but were perfect and looked better quality.  The short time on this site I have learned a ton.

Bill

randy73

Quote from: ScatPacker on February 16, 2013, 10:34:29 PM
Hello all

i noticed a lot of great posts with camshaft recommendations are a few years old.

What currently is the best equivalent to Engle K56/58 Grind for a 440? 1 or 3 bolt cam not an issue

The K56 matches my current build. Engle has changed there catalog i was thinking of calling them on Monday but i have a feeling a custom grind will be pricey.
The Lunati Voodoo Camshafts 60303 is very close. there are some recommending using 112 LSA if using HP Factory exhaust. I like the way they look will a 110 LSA
really be an issue.

Thanks for a reply

Bill

You give so litttle info about your build, I would not even speculate which is the best. I have always found that find someone who knows your engine , to be the best decider. Having built and modified GM.s, Mopar's and others, that I am not knowledgable enough to say and you sound the same. I would say find a mopar BB person and ask them, because I am not sure you know what you want out of the engine.

But remember, you have to build the tranny and rearend to match, I have seen WAY to many people build a great engine and it was a poor performer, because nothing matched performance wise.

ScatPacker

Quote from: randy73 on February 17, 2013, 09:54:55 PM
Quote from: ScatPacker on February 16, 2013, 10:34:29 PM
Hello all

really be an issue.

Thanks for a reply

Bill

You give so litttle info about your build, I would not even speculate which is the best. I have always found that find someone who knows your engine , to be the best decider. Having built and modified GM.s, Mopar's and others, that I am not knowledgable enough to say and you sound the same. I would say find a mopar BB person and ask them, because I am not sure you know what you want out of the engine.

But remember, you have to build the tranny and rearend to match, I have seen WAY to many people build a great engine and it was a poor performer, because nothing matched performance wise.

Being new to the site i did not want to be a pain and include a huge list of what if's. I figure I'll save it for later  ;)  After reading an older post of an engine build here and based on tranny and rear in the vehicle and the person wanting a mild setup with some six pack internals everyone was touting the Engle Cam. My specs were almost identical and was looking for match to the Engle cam and work from there. It's hard finding Mopar BB Machine Shops close bye. So i read alot. A tech once told me at the Dodge dealership i worked at if you don't pick up the book (Service Manual) and read and figure out for youself you will never learn a thing.

Trust me there is a local machine shop that is going to freshen up the block and install the rotating assy not me. Gotta make sure i ask the machine shop the right questions so i know I'm getting the right answers. Just another old timer Moparholic who wants to do most of the work himself. I also  :angel: a lot.

PS A 440 six pack is on the bucket list can't afford a Hemi

Thanks for the reply and advice

Bill