News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Alt upgrade

Started by chargd72, February 08, 2013, 11:57:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chargd72

Weird.  As much as I looked and looked for a 78 amp alt on the advance auto site (and many others) I couldn't find one.  I checked again today and bam, one popped up.  Check out the specs.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_remanufactured-alternator-driveworks_5030013-p?searchTerm=alternator#fragment-2

Hope that's an accurate rating.

'72 Charger SE 4bbl 318                          '76 Power Wagon 400 W200                                 2011 (attempt at a) Charger

Cooter

For what it's worth, I got one of these on the Dart with the battery in the trunk. I ran Cables off a tractor trailer. BIG SH*T. With BOTH electric fans on, Lights, and no heater, I "Only" have around 13 Volts at the battery. Maybe you have better luck with it.

Looking into a Gm style with 160 AMPs. right now for an upgrade.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

chargd72

Thanks cooter, I won't be running any big draw items. Only an aftermarket stereo. I'll give it a shot but if I don't see anything better than what's currently on there, than I might look into your solution. I just don't want my Chevy buddy to spot any GM parts on my car.

'72 Charger SE 4bbl 318                          '76 Power Wagon 400 W200                                 2011 (attempt at a) Charger

chargd72

Hey Nacho,
I put in the 78 amp alt and did your parallel wiring system.  I used 10g red and black.  Which size fusible link would you suggest?

Nacho-RT74

if you still have the original, 16g is more than enough... two 16s makes one 14 or 12 ( can't recall )

if you will be living with just the "parallel" wiring ( which in that case won't be a parallel anymore LOL ), 14 is good. Is what factory made using the wiring on big alts. These never got the wiring on bulkhead, just the ones you are running. I call it parallel just because we don't need to remove the existant ones if they are still in good conditions.

You'll notice will never have to worry anymore about a big flickering on ammeter ( still can get some, but pretty much normal ), so the fuse links won't be anymore getting high loads. But need to keep safety about so MUST blown when a short happens.  A big fuse link, will take LONG TIME to blown, thats time getting damages everywhere before fuse link blows.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

chargd72