News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Fast and furious 6 Daytona

Started by chargerman69, January 29, 2013, 09:45:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GL#10

Daytona looks great in the movie  be interesting to see how many they actually built .

1974dodgecharger

3.5 survived last I heard out of 6?

dreamcatcher

The movie was lame for sure. Don't know what people see in it. I have always liked car movies and that is why we went. But the stunts are now of days beyond imagination and that just ruins it. I will stick with the older ones like American Graffiti and the like. And the wing car was a disappointment as well.  :Twocents: 
1970 Superbird Tribute 440 auto
1968 Charger 426 6 pack auto
1971 Chevelle SS Tribute 350 4 speed
1970 Mustang 351 C 4 speed
1969 GTO 400 Ram air III 4 speed
1972 Charger (soon 5.7 hemi auto)
1973 Charger 440 auto (U code)
If you've never been scared (even a little) then you've never gone as fast as you could have!

Mike DC

:Twocents:                  

Complaining that F&F isn't realistic is like complaining that a '69 R/T gets bad gas mileage.  That's not the point.  

These recent several F&F movies have been very good at what they were trying to be.  

Ghoste

hotrod98

Times have changed. Nowadays, a movie like American Graffiti would go straight to DVD.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

JB400

Quote from: hotrod98 on June 09, 2013, 11:37:07 PM
Times have changed. Nowadays, a movie like American Graffiti would go straight to DVD.
I'm gonna correct you.  A movie like American Graffiti wouldn't make past a written script.

2Gunz

Heres some pics I took..........

2Gunz

DC_1

I found it interesting that at the end of F&F5 when they panned to the last scene after the safe hiest they showed Torreto (Vin Diesel) new car and it was a Challenger but it was a Wide Body. The opening scene of F&F 6 shows the presumed race that was to occur and he is driving the Challenger but its not a Wide Body.

edit: or maybe they are wide body in the new movie but some of the scenes sure don't look like it.

Ghoste

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on June 09, 2013, 11:51:34 PM
Quote from: hotrod98 on June 09, 2013, 11:37:07 PM
I'm gonna correct you.  A movie like American Graffiti wouldn't make past a written script.

I don't know, if they can make an Oscar nominee about a kid in a boat with a tiger surely there's still room for coming of age stories.

Mike DC

There is plenty of room for coming-of-age stories.  But kids don't grow up in the mid-20th century car culture anymore.  More modern kids don't want a car at all than want a hot rod like the ones in "Graffitti."

Daytona Guy

I loved the movie. The car looks great. I believe without question they only made one Daytona. With CGI they never wrecked the car even when they show it being wrecked.

Dane

Mike DC

Oh, they had several copies of the red Daytona, no question.  I think they built 5 or 6 this time.

One spare stunt car = $15-35k

Delaying the filming schedule for one single hour to fix a car = at least $100,000

Even if they had never planned to put a scratch on the car, they would have built 10 of them if it would have gotten the filming done 10 days faster.  

JB400

Here's almost everything you want to know, or didn't want to know, about these cars

http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicles/hrxp_130500_dodge_charger_daytona_fast___furious_6/

I'm not much for the power plant.  It's alright for a GM product, but not for Mopar

Ghoste

Which is still one of my pet peeves about the Mopars in F&F.

hotrod98

My version of the F&F Daytona will have be Mopar powered. No Chebby motors allowed.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

Baldwinvette77

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on June 11, 2013, 01:29:13 AM

Oh, they had several copies of the red Daytona, no question.  I think they built 5 or 6 this time.

One spare stunt car = $15-35k

Delaying the filming schedule for one single hour to fix a car = at least $100,000

Even if they had never planned to put a scratch on the car, they would have built 10 of them if it would have gotten the filming done 10 days faster.  
theres 1 crash in the movie, yet 4 were totaled, so yeah, shit happens, wonder where the behind the scenes footage is  :popcrn:

held1823

the hot rod magazine article at the link above states there were seven cars built. they were not going to see the filming schedule delayed for any  mechanical issue.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

Ghoste

And yet they still used GM powerplants. :D

Mike DC

I don't see the big deal.    

McCarthy has said more than once that the GM motors are purely a concession for filming practicalities.  It's just no fun getting replacement parts for a Mopar engine at 3 a.m. on a foreign continent.

Ghoste

The GM stuff is no easier to get on a foreign continent.  In any case the big deal for me personally is that I just prefer Mopar drivetrains.

JB400

It's just a money thing.  Chevy has always been cheaper and you can get parts at almost any parts store.  Mopars on the other hand, unless it's a speedshop, everything has to be ordered and is priced higher than the other brands.  If Mopar made a spark plug, it'd cost more than the AC Delcos. :brickwall:

Ghoste

Yeah, this is one of those ones though where it comes down to opinion and my opinion is that I just prefer by a huge margin the Mopar engines.

Speedfreak

Quote from: Daytona Guy on January 30, 2013, 05:34:28 PM
Bird wing and nose - I like it. It is what Hollywood does - always. It will promote the Daytona look. More people will see a Daytona now as a F&F car instead of Joe Dirt - Thank goodness. The back end is interesting - like how they make the new cars. Look at the 80-99 "Saab" rear window - they may have used it.

Dane

This is so true.  Had my car parked the other day at the park , and this kid,  less than 10 yo, was walking with his father, he stopped and said, this is the car we saw in the movies and just stood there looking at it.  His father took out his cell and took pictures of it.  Kid has already seen the movies and I haven't found the time to yet.