News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Dumb question

Started by marshallfry01, January 10, 2013, 11:11:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marshallfry01

Is a 496 stroker made from a 440 or a 383? On 440 source it says the 496 is a stroker kit for the 383. I thought it was a stroker for the 440? Anyways I was just curious. Thanks in advance for the answers!!
1969 Charger 383/auto
1969 Charger R/T 440/auto (waiting to be restored)
1972 Chevelle SS clone 383 sbc
1959 Chevy Apache short bed stepside
1968 Charger (glorified parts car)
Yes, I know I have too many cars. My wife reminds me daily.

XH29N0G

Others can answer this with more authority than me, but the way I understand it is there are several different borexstroke combinations that will get you in this neighborhood.  383 with a 4.25 stroke and a 440 or 400  with a 4.15 stroke each 030 over will be in the range of 489, 494, & 498 respectively.  I think the specific name/number for the stroker motors may be at different overbores or even historical/convention.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

Cooter

Yes, a 383 Can be made into a 496 with a huge crank. I prefer the 440 block for the 496 Because of the lack of wrist pins all up in the oil rings.

IMO, the shorter the deck height, the longer the stroke, the longer the rod, the further up in the oil ring your wrist pin will be.
Bottom line? Nothing wrong with short deck strokers, but as with the newer Hemi's, when you don't have enough bore, you have to get those cubes from somewhere, so you end up with what I refer to as a "Dumptruck" engine that is under/over square. 4" bore with like a 4.5" stroke to get any real cubes out of a later Hemi. Same with 383 but not as bad.

Hope it helps, and no such thing as a dumb question. :2thumbs:
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

marshallfry01

Wow. You guys know your engines! Thanks for the answers!!
1969 Charger 383/auto
1969 Charger R/T 440/auto (waiting to be restored)
1972 Chevelle SS clone 383 sbc
1959 Chevy Apache short bed stepside
1968 Charger (glorified parts car)
Yes, I know I have too many cars. My wife reminds me daily.