News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Myanmar Spitfires

Started by BigBlackDodge, January 07, 2013, 11:36:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stripedelete

Cool.  I was wondering when they were going to get started.

If they are there, my guess is condition will be poor.  But, I really hope I'm wrong.

JB400

I say they'd be more like the b17's in Greenland

hawkeye

what am i missing?  why did they bury them?    :shruggy:

JB400

It's better to destroy your old equipment than it is to let your enemy have it; even if your old equipment is outdated and replaced with superior equipment.

polywideblock

same reason the US pushed hundreds into the pacific no more use and they didn't want to bring them home

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

Tilar

The biggest problem with the Tulsa Belvedere was the fact that the vault it was in had been hit hard and cracked during some construction work back in the 80's. They debated on opening it up and repairing it back then but decided against it because they didn't want to open it up early. I cringed when I heard it on the news after it happened.

Depending on what wood they used to bury them in, those planes could still be in rebuildable/repairable condition. There are a few wood septic tanks from back in the early 1900's around the area that are still structurally strong. We dug up and replaced one within the last 5 years or so that was still in use.

Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

Indygenerallee

Tilar, IDK I know damp, dark, areas breed rust but for that Tulsa Plymouth to be as rusted as it was I would have to say that the tomb it was in was probably leaking since the day it was put in there! It was more than roached!  :lol:
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Tilar

You're right it may have been leaking since day one, but I do know for sure they cracked it when they were digging around it during all the downtown construction and like I said that was roughly in the early 80's, so that would make it what, at least 25 years in a pool of water?
Dave  

BigBlackDodge

I know they used a lot of aluminum in those old war birds, but I also know the British used lots of wood and canvas too!
Thirty feet down in the jungle.....doesn't sound so good to me to preserving anything.

I guess we'll know shortly! :o

BBD

tan top

fould be fantastic if they all in intact ,  & just need bolting together ,  i'm going with  Talsa plymouth  also   hope i'm wrong though  :yesnod:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

polywideblock

find some old footage of US engineers scraping the old birds at end of war, used two bulldozers and a steel cable to trash them! these are probably the same

stripedelete

So, if they could be made to fly, the impact on market value of Spitfires (25 flying) would be like finding a barn with 2,000 Hemi Chargers.  Or maybe 400 Daytonas?   :shruggy:

areibel

I think if they can find any of them they'll rebuild some- a lot of the aircraft from that area that still fly are what we call rebodies- they can take whatever parts of the airframe they can salvage and build the rest, reskin it, etc.. the hardest parts to get are stuff like the engine blocks and cranks- big stuff that's not easy to repro.   We went to an air museum in Mich. a few years back (near Willow Run) and talked to some of the guys that do the resto work.  If something doesn't pass FAA regs, it's cut out and replaced.  They said almost anything that's not cast can be reproduced.  They don't care if it's "correct", so long as they can still fly!  A cool place to visit if you're near Detroit, they actually have a static B-52 on display.
Another interesting thing they mentioned- the guys that Jay Leno hired to do the metal work on his cars are former airframe mechanics- I guess if you need a fender for a Duesenberg they make one from scratch!

AKcharger

I read one article that it was near a river bank near the major airport...30 feet down and you're going to be in the water table, I'd put a months pay they're scrap. I suspect they'll still be able to salvage some parts though...best of luck in any event

bull

I wish they were about to uncover dozens of P-51 Mustangs or P-38s somewhere too. Especially the P-38 because those are getting very rare. Google Glacier Girl if you like incredible war plane rescue stories.

polywideblock

Quote from: bull on January 08, 2013, 12:05:04 PM
I wish they were about to uncover dozens of P-51 Mustangs or P-38s somewhere too. Especially the P-38 because those are getting very rare. Google Glacier Girl if you like incredible war plane rescue stories.
:2thumbs:  lots of ice phil                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Tilar

Quote from: bull on January 08, 2013, 12:05:04 PM

There are a few videos out about the rescue and recovery on Glacier Girl. Very fascinating! Here is a short video of her first flight in over half a century.

http://youtu.be/-4OthQ3td_E
Dave  

JB400

I believe I seen it in person at Oshgosh, not for sure.  I have seen a p38 in person though, very cool.  Watched the docu on pbs as well.  Anyone catch the one about the b29 they rebuilt in Canada only to watch it burn to the ground because of the heater?

bakerhillpins

Water or not... it's all about the presense of Oxygen. Recall that tank they pulled out of the mud in a Russian lake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhK1eXDAfgQ
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

stripedelete

Anyone hear of any updates on the search?

AKcharger

Alaskan_TA

No planes were found. If you google it I am sure the story will come up.

polywideblock

Mike DC

It amazes me that so few examples of iconic aircraft survive. 

They make thousands, or tens of thousands, of an old plane model.  Yet we somehow end up with like 15 of them left in the world a few decades later. 

We moan and groan about only a couple hundred Hemi cars from a given model-year surviving.  Can you imagine if we only had a couple hundred examples of a model-year whatsoever, with any engine?