News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Body Work Completed, Paint Starting to be Applied (Pic's) UPDATE 2/20/06

Started by 4402tuff4u, February 13, 2006, 07:48:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

4402tuff4u

This past Saturday, Kevin from Millennium (my body shop) called me and ask me to stop by the shop to see something. Nice surprise when I got there. Finally the Charger is in the booth and paint is being applied to the engine compartment. This coming week he's going to block sand the body and start painting the inside of the Charger. The photos show the base coat with one coat of clear. I could not believe the shine with only one coat of clear. It's getting three. I was not sure of the bronze (MM-1) color when he applied the base coat, but he said just wait and see. Amazing how the color becomes deeper and awesome with the clear. I've been working on the K frame at home replacing all the bushings and ball joints. I'll take photos of that next.  :icon_smile_wink:

Hey Troy, the 68 is finally getting it's coat!

2/16/06 - At lunch time I took a ride to my body shop to look at the progress and he had the interior done the door jams, the inside of the doors and the trunk. He said he was going to clear coat the inside of the trunk. Moving along. He said he needed the K frame back by this Monday. He's going to paint the underside next.
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

PocketThunder

Excellent Mike.  :thumbs:

You're right behind me and closing in fast! 
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

4402tuff4u

Paul, I'm trying as hell to finish the rebuilding of the K member so I can start cleaning out my garage to make room for the Charger. He epoxy coated the K frame members that get painted black to 30 degrees gloss. He said the epoxy paint is better, it fuses on a molecular level than the powder coat that eventually peels off. He was going to put the K frame back together, but suggested that I do it since is not difficult and I would save some cash. He lend me some of his tools. I'm trying to push the engine work too because ideally, I would like to mount the engine/tranny on the K frame and deliver it to him in one package after the undercarriage is painted. Then he can lower the Charger on the power train. I have a long way to go thou. Boy, I wish I had your garage!!!!

Charger_Fan

I wish I had his garage too. ;D

That's way cool that paint's going on, no wonder you're out there braving the cold...I'm sure I would be too. :icon_smile_big:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Shakey

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

rare69

that looks awesum! i cant wait till i can start posting pics like that. keep us posted.

PocketThunder

So just epoxy the k-frame and paint it 30º black?  i'm going to blast my K-frame this weekend, i'll get some of that paint then and do the same.
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

4402tuff4u

Quote from: PocketThunder on February 14, 2006, 09:33:12 AM
So just epoxy the k-frame and paint it 30º black?  i'm going to blast my K-frame this weekend, i'll get some of that paint then and do the same.

Paul, makesure before painting you get all the grit out of the cavities such were the struts fasten to the K frame. Also when you remove the steering gear box you will find dirt and grease there too. All these spots will have old grease and sandblast grit. I had mine plastic media blasted and then I went around with a small narrow bladed screw driver, shop vac and cleaned all the openings on the K frame. In some areas I hit it with a 4" grinder and a welders straight wire wheel brush. Then I wiped the whole K frame with acetone and Kevin my body guy seal etch prime coated it and then applied the three part black epoxy. If you are going to rebuild the K frame yourself, the hardest thing so far that I ran into is the upper ball joints on the "A" frame. Had to drop them off to a local mechanic to install them. You need a special socket and they are tricky to install. The threads are very shallow and I can picture me screwing it up. The other parts were a piece of cake, but you will need a press. I have a friend that let me use his press. You will also need a torque wrench that goes up to 130 ft lbs. The 4" grinder works excellent to clean the parts that do not get painted. You wire brush them to white metal, then you seal them with clear or hit them with cast steel paint. I was up til 11:00 pm last night working on it until the wife said enough!! :icon_smile_big:

OH! when you get it sand blasted stay away from any threads left on the K frame and the brake drums/disks if you leave them on.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Mike looks great so far! 

Will she be ready for the MANats this year???   Carlisle maybe??  ;)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

4402tuff4u

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on February 14, 2006, 11:39:57 AM
Mike looks great so far! 

Will she be ready for the MANats this year???   Carlisle maybe??  ;)

Thanks! I'm pushing to have it ready to meet up in SI for the convoy trip down to Carlisle, but it looks like a very aggressive schedule to meet.

PocketThunder

Sounds good, i'll let you know how it turns out after this weekend.

thanks

Paul
in St. Paul

4402tuff4u

Another few pic's.... He has to seam seal the trunk around the wheel wells. I told him I wanted the old seam seal out! I'm a bit pissed that he left it!!

PocketThunder

4402tuff4u

Yep! I bought the Charger like that. No metal work needed except the rear section of the floor pans - I put them in myself because they were kind of thin, no holes just thin. I lucked out. 

Just 6T9 CHGR

I really dig that color! :thumbs:

Looks like they painted your trunk latch as well :(
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

General_01

I like that color as well. Watching all you guys get your vehicles painted is making me want to start tearing mine down.  :icon_smile_big: Won't happen though. I don't have the funds right now to do it. :-[
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

4402tuff4u

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on February 17, 2006, 10:35:30 PM
I really dig that color! :thumbs:

Looks like they painted your trunk latch as well :(

Yes Chris I'm really happy how the color MM-1 is coming out. Yeah, I did tell him what pieces should not get coated/painted but I guess he forgot. I even went around the car and wrote on the bare metal what gets coated and what color. But I guess once he hits it with the DA and the primer all the writting is gone. I really should have taken those pieces out but I didn't have the time. I really can't blame him, he's got a million things going on. The Charger is not going to be a "trailer queen" by any means. It's going to be a very nice driver my guess with some imperfections that a show car judge would probably find - but overall I'm very satisfy how it's coming out. The pieces that were painted over I'll take care of them when the car gets home. He's been very cool by letting me remove/install pieces of the car myself and lending me all his tools when I'm there so that I don't have to carry my tools. Lots of shop wont even let remove a screw without them charging you for it. As a matter a fact this past weekend, he let me install the "K" frame myself, the shocks and he gave a hand with the torsion rods. So things are moving ahead. I wish the engine guy would keep up!

General _01, I know what you mean by seeing other cars being done and not having the funds to do it. Been there. Just keep saving $$ if you can and before you know it you'll be taking things apart. Just remember, It's always more than you anticipated or were quoted.

The70RT

Are you still on the board? Kinda like to see how it all turned out.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

1969chargerrtse

"I wish the engine guy would keep up!"   You must be using my engine guy, because I have the same issue.  I don't know what takes them so long?  I told my guy not to milk me on everything, just throw in a set of JC Whitney rings and lets go :smilielol:.  Car looks great.  Mines going to be a nice driver also, and I don't allow judging in my old age anymore, I go to shows to have fun with friends and hang around.  I don't need anyone judging my stuff, I know what I have.  If my car was stripped down that far and redone like that, I don't know, maybe a trailer queen it would be.  Thanks for the pictures looks great.  Nice of the guy to let you work on it, very nice in a world of Insurance company's dictating how we live.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

hemi-hampton

Dont forget the Caster/Camber access plates go black, never body color.  Almost looked like FK5 Burnt orange? LEON.

bull

The70RT

Quote from: bull on January 14, 2008, 04:53:38 AM
Quote from: The70RT on January 12, 2008, 11:27:56 PM
Are you still on the board? Kinda like to see how it all turned out.

Last Active:  July 11, 2007

Maybe he sold it.....or it is done and he don't need us anymore... :shruggy:
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Troy

Hey! Where'd my post go?

Well, I posted a reply but I'll do it again. Mike finished the car and was at Carlisle. He hasn't been around much since (he's probably catching up on everything he neglected while working on the car). Here's a few pictures:

He parked right next to his friend who has a nearly identical car:

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.