News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

8 3/4 vrs 8 1/4 strength

Started by Wicked72, January 05, 2013, 10:44:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wicked72

So i have been looking for and 8 3/4 after i foolishly sold mine with an 89 case... had the money for new dana and a four link and then my job went south.... figures... so now i have a 8 3/4 from an e body 41 case and an 8 1/4 from a 73. Ive been told the 8 1/4 is just as strong and also have been told its very weak so i am not sure what to think. I know the 41 case isnt strong like the 89 or the 42 but how weak? So id like to know how strong the 1/4 rear is compared to my 3/4 with the 41 case. Obviouesly the 3/4 is easier to work on but i just want to know abt strength.

M-Massively O-Over P-Powered A-And R-Respected

chargd72

1/4 is strong enough to handle any stock small block. But if you have a performance engine with some tires that hook, you'll need a 8.75 under that heavy b body. My built 318 charger just got it's 8.25 rear swapped out for a 8.75 with a 489 case. Complete overkill for now but I'll need it when my 408 stroker goes in. Probably doesn't answer your ? directly but most people swap them out for a reason.

'72 Charger SE 4bbl 318                          '76 Power Wagon 400 W200                                 2011 (attempt at a) Charger

chargd72

Another reason not to push it with a 8.25 is that the axles are kept in with a retainer pin in the center section. So if those axles snap they'll do a crap ton of damage as they fly out. 8.75 axles are held in from locks on the drums. So if something broke on that, it would be contained inside. But you need a nasty engine to do that to a 8.75.

'72 Charger SE 4bbl 318                          '76 Power Wagon 400 W200                                 2011 (attempt at a) Charger

Wicked72

thats says alot actually. so screw the 8 1/4. im putting in a 400 just has a edelbrock intake and a set of headers so its not much power anyway. however i will be making a stroker out of it. so whats a ballpark on how much can a 41 case handle?

cdr

the 741 is not as weak as its rumored to be, different gear ratio's are harder to get,the 742 has a larger inner pinion bearing ,i think if you broke a 741,you would have broke a 742 & 489 also   :Twocents:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

FLG

Without slicks it would be tough to break either one..imo run whichever one has a sure grip.

Wicked72

no sure grip in the 8.75 or the .25 but i may look into either finding a center section with it all or just build the 41. its got 323 gear so its not to bad but i think i may want to got with 391. need to get on a a calculator to see what my rpm range will be thinking 295/50/15 in the back havent decided yet.

Wicked72

btw no slicks on this car just wide street tires

John_Kunkel

I ran a Max Wedge car with a 741 into the mid-twelves with 10" slicks. The 741 gets little respect but it's tougher than most give it credit for.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Wicked72

need to get a sure grip!! I think 3:23 gears will be just fine rpms will be nice at highway and still have a little punch.

randy73

In my 74 duster I put a modified 440 in and the 8 1/4 held up fine. It is just hard to find gears for, it is  good rearend,people tend to trash products, because everybody thinks bigger is better.

Cooter

I've run 6.80's(8th Mile) on a Nitrous'd 505 Inch BB, on DOT's with a "741" 3.91 Sure Grip.

Just like the 18 Spline "Hemi" 4-speed VS 23 Spline. If you know what your doing, you won't break either one, but if you like 7500 RPM Clutch dumps on slicks, with dead hook, you will put even a Dana 60 in a bucket.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"