News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Replacement of Rocker Panels

Started by pkianka, January 04, 2013, 10:34:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pkianka

I was searching the forum for other's experiences with replacing rocker panels.  The AMD ones others have purchased/installed look nice and I am about to buy some for my 68.

I am looking for any details or additional information folks are willing to share about the installation experience?  And photos of course.

Did you install the entire rocker as shipped or only portions of it?  Were other pieces needed like the front caps?

Mine aren't that bad but have many small holes spread across about a 2 foot span. I was thinking of patching them with fabricated pieces either from flat stock metal or cut from the AMD rockers.

Please share you thoughts.  I will also need to do quarters to this car as well, does this change the order of operations at all in terms of installation?

Thanks!!!!!  Pete K.

JB400

Sorry, I don't have pix, but, I think in this instance, it'd be better to just buy a replacement rocker panel.  If you had a couple small holes  here or there, than I'd just patch it.  Unless, you're the guy bending the metal, paying someone to make it would cost more than the actual rocker panel replacement.

Aero426

The rocker panel area is one of the strongest parts of the unibody.     If you have pinholes, that is tip of the iceberg and there is more corrosion on the inside that you cannot see.   The outer rocker is weak and should be replaced.   

Charger-Bodie

Those rockers look like they were attacked from the inside my mice. They love to build homes and bathrooms in there. Very common. The and rockers are a very nice part and the best part is that you can fine tune the lower door gap. They were usually pretty wide.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

charger_fan_4ever

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on January 04, 2013, 07:43:10 PM
Those rockers look like they were attacked from the inside my mice. They love to build homes and bathrooms in there. Very common. The and rockers are a very nice part and the best part is that you can fine tune the lower door gap. They were usually pretty wide.

Beat me to it i was going to say i bet there are ratnests in behind the rocker. Something about the passengers side rocker they like. Mine was the same but worse. They make their nests and then humidity gets to the nest and with mice pee over time = rot.

69hemi

By the puictures it looks like the car was blasted rather than dipped so whatever rust & crud was behind them to cause them to rust is still there.  The best was to do this is to peel offf the old outer rockers and then fix and or clean the inner rockers then coat with a rustproofer/encapsulator.  When this is done align the new panels using the door bottom edge until the gap is nice and even then tack them back in.  I replaced a full rocker on my 69 GTX and you can check this out at www.69hemi.com.  Just follow this link then click on the rockers section http://www.69hemi.com/gtx2/sheet.html
Email me with any questions you may have and I will be happy to help.  jet@69hemi.con
http://www.69hemi.com
1969 Hemi R/T Charger
1969 440 GTX
1965 Hemi A/FX Plymouth
1964 Hemi Superstock Dodge
02 Ram
95 Ram

pkianka

Thanks for the feedback guys.  69hemi, thanks for the detailed site and pics.  I will be taking you up on your offer for questions via email!

I believe I will be going with the full rockers now after your comments and a closer look at it.

-Pete K

Dino

Like 1HotDaytona said, this is your chance to get those rockers to actually line up with the doors.  All new would be my choice.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Mike DC

Question - For a car that needs both the inner & outer rockers replaced -

What about welding a set of new inner & outer rockers together off the car first, and then welding the whole rocker box into the car in one piece?