News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What sort of music genres do we all listen to ?

Started by 440, December 22, 2012, 08:16:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haven't seen a thread like this in a while, so what do you listen to?

Myself I like mostly everything but prefer southern rock, country, hard rock.

My favorite song at the moment is "Dry Country - Waitin on Hank"

JB400

country, rock and roll 

If I can sing to it, I like it.  Everything else is noise.  I'm not into the head banging and the black crap (rap). NO, I'm not being racist, just haven't a better word for it.

TruckDriver

AOR rock, guitar rock, melodic rock, (basically all hard rock 1970's through the 1980's rock style) which is still alive and well if you know where to find it. I like the harder country music bands too.

Some of the current hard rock bands I like (as in together);
Grand Design (sound a lot like old Def Leppard)
Def Leppard
Pink Cream 69
Victory (German hard rock)
Gotthard
Krokus
Black N' Blue (Recently released a new cd with all but 1 original member / Tommy Thayer now with Kiss)
Night Ranger (got like 25 albums out now)
Thunder (also has like 25 albums out too. Only released 2 here in the usa in the early '90s)
Scorpions
Ozzy
Saliva
Kiss
Sammy Hagar
Pretty Maids
Saxon
Helix
Joe Walsh (Just released a all new Album, It's pretty good too!)
Fozzy (Chris Jerico from WWE - Really good unknown band)
.38 Special
Loverboy (Just released a new cd)
Heart
Journey
April Wine
Nickleback
3 Doors Down
Bonfire
Cheap Trick
Winger
And many many more, lol

Country bands I like
Jason Aldean
Brantley Gilbert
Montgomery Gentry
Eric Church
Trace Adkins
Rodney Atkins
Kenny Chesney
Toby Keith
Keith Urban
and a few more too.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

jar1292

my fav is classic country/golden country how ever you wanna say it. I like listening to the early 60's "Rock an Roll" because it takes me back to when I would be with my dad.... Both of those take me back to my child hood years cruising out west in the 73' highboy (AM only) with my dad hunting coyotes or working around the shop. It is amazing how old time music takes you back to the times that you Cherish! A simple beat or few words of a song will transport your mind to the old days and brings a smile to your face. I am only 28 but prefer the "old time music" the modern stuff has its place but geez it honestly has a negative affect on us. What ever happened to singing about your high school sweetheart, prison,good dogs, getting drunk, or high, cheating, or your up raising. now it is all about explicit stuff. I like a good beat but some of the things the kids listen to are like holly hell they actually like this stuff! But then again in the 50's-60's the "adults" were saying the same thing as we are now.... I wish we could go back to the music that is good for man kind. Songs about broken hearts, family ties, good cheer, Prison,and love songs.  :Twocents:                                             
Restoring a charger is like a saying I heard along time ago "I never said it would be easy, I only said it would be worth it".... Jesus I wish I could remember who said that...

bakerhillpins

Mostly 70s - 80s, even some early 90s Metal, Hard rock, some punk and thrash metal thrown in for fun.  Though ever since the kids arrived I pretty much just stick to the "Classic Rock" stations as I got so much stuff to do puttering with music isn't on the radar.  The college station used to be awesome but I guess the next generation showed up and it went to crap.  :P

One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

jar1292

OH and CHRISTMAS MUSIC It warms the soul, what ever that means.... It feels good to sing along to but I hate it when im going along perfect and the artist screws up the lyrics and throws me all off! 
Restoring a charger is like a saying I heard along time ago "I never said it would be easy, I only said it would be worth it".... Jesus I wish I could remember who said that...

Chryco Psycho

Hard Rock / Metal Classic or modern , Tool ,Godsmack, Halestorm , Alexis on Fire , Rev Theory , old Metallica , megadeath , Whitesnake , Rush , Van Halen , Guns & roses .
I really like complicated music that is very hard to play , fast,  changing etc , Keeps the blood pumping like a pacemaker !!

Paul G

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on December 22, 2012, 12:36:58 PM
Keeps the blood pumping like a pacemaker !!

That is too funny!  :rofl:

I like Hard rock, guitar rock with heavy drums. Right now I am listening to Joe Bonamassa, Saw a live concert on TV and bought the two disk CD, Live at the Royal Albert Hall. Great guitar player.
Getting back in to old rock again like;
ZZ Top
Pink Floyd
Blind Faith
Traffic
Old Zeppelin
Peter Gabriel

Also like;
Audioslave, self titled
Soundgarden
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Music from that generation

And don't kill me but I like Adele's work. The stuff with a heavy beat. And Katy Perry too.

Country rock is tolerable to me, sorry, country has never been my thing.
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

Tilar

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on December 22, 2012, 09:41:41 AM
country, rock and roll  

If I can sing to it, I like it.  Everything else is noise.  I'm not into the head banging and the black crap (rap). NO, I'm not being racist, just haven't a better word for it.

Same here. I like the 60's - 80's rock and roll, and of course country. I love to sing and used to get compliments all the time but the older I get the more out of tune I think I'm getting.  I did get 4th place out of 11 people in a kareoke contest on our cruise this last April.  :yesnod: That was a lot of fun.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

twodko

I've always enjoyed an eclectic taste in music. I like everything from classical to blues to jazz to rock to Motown to CW to salsa to South American flavors to modern gospel. We're listening to the late Amy Winehouse at the moment.
Can't stand rap or heavy metal.  :Twocents:
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Cooter

Classic Rhythm and blues.
Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee Lewis, Little Richard, Fats Domino, etc.

Loved the Rock from GNR, AC/DC, George Thorogood, Van halen,etc.

No Death/thrash/speed metal. Some EARLY Hip hop (Tone Loc, Run DMC,Rob Base, Mel and the Furious Five,etc.)
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Old Moparz

I'll give almost anything a try, but the favorites are Rock, Jazz & Blues.

Bands & artists like these.....

King Crimson
Jeff Beck
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Pink Floyd (with Roger Waters)
Jimi Hendrix
Bill Frissell
Nine Inch Nails
Genesis (with Peter Gabriel)
Morphine
John Lee Hooker
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

TheGhost

Metal.  Megadeth, Iron Maiden, Hammerfall, Manowar, etc.

Country.  Mostly older stuff, some of the newer stuff (sorry, Taylor Swift.  Singing pop music with a slight accent does not make you country).

Classic rock.  Acdc, ZZ Top, Scorpions, etc.

Celtic music.  Love the sound of the bagpipes.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

skip68

Journey, white snake, bon jovi, scorpions, beach boys, 50's stuff, poison, def leppard, motley crew, Bryan Adams, Chicago, night ranger, foreigner, cheap trick, on and on and on.   pretty much all 80's hair bands.   Some country.    
I do like some 90's and newer rock.  I guess anything with good harmonies and melodies.   
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

TruckDriver

Quote from: TheGhost on December 23, 2012, 12:28:49 AM

Country.  Mostly older stuff, some of the newer stuff (sorry, Taylor Swift.  Singing pop music with a slight accent does not make you country).

I even got a few songs by Manowar and Megadeath.

But as for your comment on todays country music, Country music today, is where pop/rock was durring the 1980's, i.e. pop/country or country/rock. A lot of country songs out now, are a harder or as hard as some of the hard rock I listen to. Brantly Gilbert's "Kickin It In The Sticks" & "Country Must Be Country Wide" or about 2/3's of everything Jason Aldean does is all hard rock. Even Eric Church and Trace Adkins are pushing hard rock on a few of there songs too. But I like it that way. Hank Jr. is pretty much the guy that got hard rock started to mix with country.
PETE

"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Strangely enough Kid Rock was involved in mixing the two as well. He sang a few songs with Hank Jr.

jar1292

Has any one heard about ALABAMA may be puting a final final tour together!!!! If they do and they dont come to Salt Lake City I WILL begoing to the nearest concert. I was literaly heart broken when I could not get tickets when the came to SLC on there finaly. Just short of that Don Williams went baack on tour after retirment. He was sopossed to come to Ogden in November but cannceled due to health reasons. I had already baught 12 tickets for myself and frinds, But he is coming back to honor them May 7th!! whenever there is an old time classic country singer around the erea I make it to there concerts. It is seriously a dying sound, becouse no one will or can even sing about the stuff they did.

TruckDriver

Quote from: 440 on December 23, 2012, 09:35:09 AM
Strangely enough Kid Rock was involved in mixing the two as well. He sang a few songs with Hank Jr.

I agree with that :yesnod:  

The country station I listen to even plays one of his songs all the time, I forget the name though. But that's why I started listening to country stations. I am totally sick and tired of the so called classic rock stations playing the same 200 songs for the past 30 years. And then when one of the artists they play all the time releases a new album, they never play it, i.e. Joe Walsh's new album which is excellent!

3 from the new Joe Walsh album I like
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEoWaP4skv8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdJQ4xr6l_U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSyspuyWkk8
PETE

Hemidog

Metal Rules. Heavy, Death, Melodic Death, Thrash, Speed and so on.

I also enjoy Rock and Country music.

Quote from: jar1292 on December 23, 2012, 10:18:58 AM
Has any one heard about ALABAMA may be puting a final final tour together!!!! If they do and they dont come to Salt Lake City I WILL begoing to the nearest concert. I was literaly heart broken when I could not get tickets when the came to SLC on there finaly. Just short of that Don Williams went baack on tour after retirment. He was sopossed to come to Ogden in November but cannceled due to health reasons. I had already baught 12 tickets for myself and frinds, But he is coming back to honor them May 7th!! whenever there is an old time classic country singer around the erea I make it to there concerts. It is seriously a dying sound, becouse no one will or can even sing about the stuff they did.

I didn't know Alabama was going on tour again, good to hear. I saw them on their farewell tour and they were excellent. I grew up with them and as a kid I played one of their albums so much my grandfather took the album away. You are quite right there is nobody like them, sad really.

Roll on Alabama   :yesnod:

TheGhost

Quote from: TruckDriver on December 23, 2012, 09:31:10 AM
Quote from: TheGhost on December 23, 2012, 12:28:49 AM

I even got a few songs by Manowar and Megadeath.

But as for your comment on todays country music, Country music today, is where pop/rock was durring the 1980's, i.e. pop/country or country/rock. A lot of country songs out now, are a harder or as hard as some of the hard rock I listen to. Brantly Gilbert's "Kickin It In The Sticks" & "Country Must Be Country Wide" or about 2/3's of everything Jason Aldean does is all hard rock. Even Eric Church and Trace Adkins are pushing hard rock on a few of there songs too. But I like it that way. Hank Jr. is pretty much the guy that got hard rock started to mix with country.

That's just it.  When I'm in the mood for some country, I want to hear country, not rock.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

TruckDriver

They have this country guy that basically is the country gossip guy, Jimmy Carter is his name, and even he agrees with the morning dj, that traditional country is gone forever.
PETE

hatersaurusrex

Being a southerner who grew up in the 80's and 90's, it's probably not surprising that I have an equal appreciation for Southern Rock, Classic Country, and Grunge.   Everything since about 97/98 in Rock and Country has been utter crap (not counting artists who were already around and still making good stuff).   Once grunge gave way to the pussyfication of music (Counting Crows, Gin Blossoms, other vag-rock) I quit listening to anything new almost entirely until a few years ago.

Truly Old School Faves (70's - late 80's)
Floyd
Skynyrd
Led Zep
Metallica
Journey
Sabbath
Fleetwood
Allmans
Dylan
Jackson Browne
ZZ
AC frickin DC
Merle Haggard
Waylon Jennings
Glen Campbell
Cash
Don Williams (someone else mentioned him here too, one of my all time faves)
Buck Owens
Willie

Faves (mid-late 80's and 90's)

Tom Petty
Tesla
Guns N Roses
STP
Rage Against the Machine
Pearl Jam
SoundGarden
Alice in Chains
Sublime
George Strait
Alan Jackson
Yoakam

Really Newer:
Audioslave
Shinedown
Disturbed

That about sums it up, there are more I'm probably forgetting but that's my wheelhouse.   I do listen to some rap from time to time but mostly - again - from the 80's and 90's, this new BS is the same dumbed-down diluted ass-fodder that the rock and country camps are spewing out.   Modern music is crap.   I have a feeling that the generation before me said the same thing about the stuff I listened to, but to each his own.

For the guy who mentioned Adele, don't feel bad.  For some reason I really like Sarah McLachlan.  Odd cause she's the only person I listen to out of that 'genre'.

[ŌŌ]ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ[ŌŌ] = 68
[ŌŌ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ŌŌ] = 69
(ŌŌ)[ƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗ](ŌŌ) = 70

skip68

I love that Justin Bieber.   :drool5:  she kinda looks like a boy though.  Kinda butch.    :shruggy: 
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Dino

I still like classic rock mostly.  Zeppelin for the guitar riffs and the days where Plant could still scream way up there.  The Who for their writing and outstanding musicians (and the days where Daltrey could scream way up there...), AC/DC for the mindless screaming (sorry, love those guys but best classic rock ever? I don't think so...but the screaming is still quite way up there  :lol:).  Don't care much for the Stones, even less for the Beatles.  I'll recognize their piece in music history but that's it.   :icon_smile_big:

I also enjoy anything that has been thought about, songs that mean something and that have musicians in them that know more than three chords.  Any style but country which I was never able to like, got as close as Rockabilly though.  I also don't like rap or hip hop but I'm sure there's stuff out there I could appreciate or even really like, but I'll probably never know as my days of finding new stuff are long gone.  I don't like heavy metal or whatever you call it now.  Hard rock to me is playing The Who's live at Leeds as loud as the speakers can take it.  Haven't heard any band with three instruments to top that.  If you know of one, please reply.

Funny enough I like some of the 80's stuff which is far from being 'deep'.  I'll write that off as coming of age in that era and it has to be part of me.  Anything from classical to blues, jazz, fusion and lots more...but I can get tired of it real fast as well.

It all depends on my mood, sometimes I can't stand to listen to my all time favorites even.  Time and place for everything.

I played in a lot of bands and had a hell of a time but I could never do it again.  I used to get so pissed when someone in the band would write some dime a dozen love song and then wsas surprised I didn't want to play that crap.  Seriously, there's more subjects out there to draw from.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.