News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Seat track question, broken mounting stud?

Started by bksfld68, February 11, 2006, 06:49:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bksfld68

I just noticed a broken seat stud on one of my seat tracks as I was taking the seats to the uphosterer.   Has anyone had to repair one before and if so, could you share how you did it.  I figured I could drill it out and put in my own bolt but wanted to hear some other opinions.

Thanks

bill440rt

If you're building a driver, or a local show-type car, I guess you could just drill it out & put in a bolt. Just make sure you use a round, press-on bolt retainer clip to hol dit in place. That will make installing the seat easier.

Or, for the something more correct but harder to fix route, you can grind off the rest of the broken seat stud flush. Then drill it out & tap it to accept a piece of threaded rod the same size. You could also use a long bolt with the bolt head cut off. Screw in the threaded rod, & tack weld it from the other side (the flat part of the stud). Then, grind the weld flat, smooth, and paint. The repair should be undetectable.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

71_deputy

sort of the same thing- mine broke off too.

ground off the two welds that hold the flat bolt onto the track. Then get a bolt that is the same lenght and size- grind down the head of the bolt to the same size of the old bolt and then spot weld it like the old one!!!!
1971 Deputy Challenger 383 4bbl-- 1 of 2 made!!
1967 Charger 440/auto
1973 Road Runner 340/4 speed
2000 1500 Ram Van

bksfld68

71_deputy

1971 Deputy Challenger 383 4bbl-- 1 of 2 made!!
1967 Charger 440/auto
1973 Road Runner 340/4 speed
2000 1500 Ram Van

Judhudson

Quote from: bill440rt on February 11, 2006, 10:23:50 PM
If you're building a driver, or a local show-type car, I guess you could just drill it out & put in a bolt. Just make sure you use a round, press-on bolt retainer clip to hol dit in place. That will make installing the seat easier.

I've been this route before, and in my opinion, it's the easiest.  That is, if you don't know how to weld and stuff :)

hemihead

When I joined the old board about 4 years ago I asked this very question and received some very rude comments from some of the members that are still with us here on this board.I won't be that rude to you. Good Luck.  :icon_smile_big:
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

bksfld68

I generally walk around with my thick skinned suit on  :yesnod: