News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Not many sellers seem to be able to write an ad these days.

Started by Homerr, December 16, 2012, 08:28:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

polywideblock

not just america! must be a world wide phenomenon! "kids" here in australia are just the same. Couldn't writer a "letter" if there lives depended on it! :eek2:

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

Homerr

I'd like to see Craigslist require the following.

- a VIN (post it in the ad
- a price (and filter out the $1 ads that are 'just fishing')
- caps filter
- basic grammar filter (no punctuation, no caps would flag it)

All meant to clean up their site from the scammers/dreamers/illiterates that sometimes can make it too much of a chore.

Old Moparz

I'm going to slightly disagree with the idea that "all" or "most" of a generation can't do anything these days. I know a lot of people are just using generic terms or exaggerations to make a point, I do it too sometimes. There are still teachers that are good at what they do & teach what is needed, & there are still kids that are willing to learn. I see the same type of kids now that I did when I was their age. Some are smart & can communicate well, some aren't & struggle for various reasons.

I'll use my 13 year old daughter as an example. My daughter was getting bored in school up until the beginning of last year because she was being taught things that she already knew. She didn't say she was bored, but she would tell my wife & I about other kids in the class that would ask her how to do something that they should have known several years earlier. She also saw handwriting by some who could barely write.

My daughter had a mix of good & average grades, but two of her teachers insisted that she move up to an honors level so she can feel challenged instead of bored. The other students in her classes were either disruptive, or further behind in what they should know, or had other issues going on. Once she moved into the honors classes she was happier. This year she's in four honors classes & has grades between 87 & 97 in them.

It may sound like bragging on my part, but that isn't my intention. (I am proud though, my wife & I never had those grades let alone be in honors....lol) I am only making a point to say that my daughter & a number of other students in her classes can read, write, communicate & hold conversations with adults. Her friends, some of which are not honor students, are also good kids that seem intelligent. By the way, my daughter can't stand texting abbreviations.   :lol:

I run into a lot of "effin' morons" throughout the day that are already adults. I have more faith in a lot of the younger kids growing up to be decent, intelligent people than I do in people my age or older, ever being smart enough to know how to bring up a kid at all.   ::)
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

FC7 V code

Quote from: Ghoste on December 19, 2012, 06:50:34 AM
That they've created their own texting language for one another is one thing but the fact that they feel entitled to use it on the rest of the world is quite a different one.  They know about proper written communication, they just choose not to use it.  Look at the number on this and other forums that text.  And if you dare mention it to them, you are instantly reminded of their right to post any way they please and if you don't like it, don't read it.  True enough you lazy jackasses but the thing is I CAN'T read it, it gives me a headache to see your poorly spelled, run on sentences.  I don't care if your mommy, your teacher, your doctor or your best bud told you its okay.  It isn't.  If you're selling an item in Italy would you not try to write an ad in Italian?  If selling something in an English speaking country, proper English seems logical. I understand not everyone has the same level of writing ability and many have no clue how spell check works, but you can usually size up who is making an effort and doing the best they can and who is just texting you because they don't give a shit.
Whew, rant off.

:iagree: You covered the lack of brains/maturity perfectly! I've literally watched kids sitting less than ten feet apart texting each other. Most High School/College romances seem to be based on texting rather than actually doing something together. Wonder how that works out when you finally end up in close proximity and realize your with a twit :rofl:. It is surprising that many of the ads you see ever get a response from anyone with a dollar in there hands. I guess if you advertise something that looks to be a screaming deal somebody will always pick up the phone, but I wonder if the people writing the ads ever realize how many potential buyers that don't call because of the mess they make of the advertisement.
1968 Chrysler 300
1969 Charger
1969 Charger RT/SE
1970 Charger RT/SE
1970 Cuda AAR
1970 Challenger SE
1970 Roadrunner
1982 Trans Am

Mytur Binsdirti

I worked with a young architect a couple of years ago who did most of the communication with me via email and he was very nice, but the few times I talked with him on the phone and/or met face to face, he was a completely different person. He didn't interact very well in any form of communication other than the computer. It was like I was dealing with two different people. Very weird.

Kern Dog

A heavy reliance on technology can make a person stupid and socially retarded.

Fred

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on December 19, 2012, 02:35:38 PM
I worked with a young architect a couple of years ago who did most of the communication with me via email and he was very nice, but the few times I talked with him on the phone and/or met face to face, he was a completely different person. He didn't interact very well in any form of communication other than the computer. It was like I was dealing with two different people. Very weird.

It's easier for some people to express themselves with written words, there's time to think of what and how you want to say something aswhere there's no time to run things through your head when you need to speak to someone directly. You struggle to come up with the right words.
It's amazing what struggles people have to deal with.   Some people just lack confidence.

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.