News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Engine Install Quote -

Started by charlie45, December 12, 2012, 08:07:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlie45

So after contemplating for a while I figured it probably makes sense to buy an engine from a reputable shop Indy/Muscle Motors versus trying just optimize the current 440 in my 68 Charger. Yes, it will cost me quite a bit up front, but trying to cobble something together on that old 440 will probably end up costing me just as much over a few and it will be nothing up to the standard what a professional builder like Indy could put together....

What is a reasonable time estimate here for what I described?

moparguy01

90 hours? Holy hell. First off if it takes him 10 hours to remove an engine, well, that alone is redamndiculous. if you dont know what your doing you should be able to remove one in 5 hours EASY. Unless you REALLY have no idea what the heck your doing, then you should just not even try.

I would definately call around to other places. If you have any local race shops you may be able to check there, alot of the ones near me all do work pretty reasonable.

cdr

20 hours should be about right,-------------------on a stock long block the labor guide calls for 12 hours r&r  :Twocents:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

FC7 V code

I have to agree with CDR after dealing with this issue not once but twice this past summer/fall. 20 hours would probably more than cover it. My Son, a couple of local kids and I were able to yank a couple motors out in about 4 hours(one out of a 70 charger and the other a 70 Challenger) this past summer and it's not like there was a licensed mechanic in our crew :icon_smile_big:. 90 hours seems like it is way over the top and I'd move on from that quote in a hurry.
1968 Chrysler 300
1969 Charger
1969 Charger RT/SE
1970 Charger RT/SE
1970 Cuda AAR
1970 Challenger SE
1970 Roadrunner
1982 Trans Am

johnnyseville

Will that mechanic be using a "seeing eye dog", perhaps the dog is new to this, which would account for the extra time. :coolgleamA:
too many to list!

skip68

:o :rotz:  I have a thread in performance section 2 years ago (can't remember the title) when Vegas Mike came up and we did my engine in 2 days....
  We pulled my motor on sat, took it to another members shop, cleaned it up, put new bearings in it, wrapped it up in plastic and came home, put it on engine stand, put new timming chain, cam, rods, ect. ect., had some beer and went to bed.  Got up the next morning, got the freshened up motor in the car and was breaking in the cam by 2pm that day.... Sunday.   I was doing burn outs in it by 3pm...... :2thumbs:   All this in about 16-17 hours total...  Even the member that had the shop up here and tools for us posted he was shocked that we had it running and driving the next day.    ;)    So, bottom line is if he knows what he's doing then 20 hours is plenty.    :2thumbs: :cheers:
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Rolling_Thunder

I have R&Red a big block w/4-speed in approx 7 hours.
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

JB400

Dunno what your situation is, but why not buy/ borrow a cherry picker (engine hoist) and do it yourself?  As has been posted, buy some beverages and a pizza and you and another guy can have it out and back in in a day.  Heck of a lot cheaper than paying for 90 hrs worth of labor.

skip68

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on December 12, 2012, 11:41:05 PM
Dunno what your situation is, but why not buy/ borrow a cherry picker (engine hoist) and do it yourself?  As has been posted, buy some beverages and a pizza and you and another guy can have it out and back in in a day.  Heck of a lot cheaper than paying for 90 hrs worth of labor.

:yesnod: :2thumbs:
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

1970Moparmann

Quote from: cdr on December 12, 2012, 09:21:46 PM
20 hours should be about right,-------------------on a stock long block the labor guide calls for 12 hours r&r  :Twocents:

I agree! 90 hours, that just blows me away.
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

mhinders

The quoted 90 hrs is ridiculous IMO.
There is a lot of mopar folks over in Germany. Have you tried to get in touch with somebody locally?
Myself I'm in Sweden but I may be able help you with a contact in Germany. PM me in that case.
Martin
Martin
Dodge Charger 1967, 512 cui, E85, MegaSquirt MS3X sequential ignition and injection

charlie45

Point is, these guys know what they're doing and its not like this is something new to them and that they want to be on the safe side.... They have all the tools, equipment, that they could probably do it quicker than anyone else...

1974dodgecharger

are they gonna dyno the engine, tweek it, etc before the install?  I can see 90s hours if they plan to lick clean it too, give you some other carbs int he process, etc..

Overall they dont know what they are doing if its 90 hours. I know only person who would quote 90s hours and he was in a wheelchair and said 'it takes me 1 hour for each time to find me a tool and I need roughly 30 tools so already IM charing you 30 hours'

Quote from: charlie45 on December 13, 2012, 06:11:45 AM
Btw, this is the place that gave me the quote:

http://moparshop.de/

Point is, these guys know what they're doing and its not like this is something new to them and that they want to be on the safe side.... They have all the tools, equipment, that they could probably do it quicker than anyone else...

It just infuriates me that these guys think they can get away with that. Not to mention, they are the guys that quoted me 25 hours to install headers and a full-exhaust system from TTi...

Ghoste

Is this the same guy that was quoting the exhaust install?

Cooter

Ok, why are you still going to this guy if he is too high? How do you know he isn't pricing it high to do what we here call "Blow you out the door", as he really doens't want to mess with your stuff, but WILL if he makes bank?

Obviously, you either need to 1. find someone else, or 2. Try and do as much of this yourself as possible...

I've said it before and I'll say it again....Some folks really have NO IDEA how much TIME (Meaning by the hour) it takes to "Set one up" when you come back complaining about how it "Doesn't run like you think it should".....It very well could take 90 plus hours to COMPLETELY install, and dial in your combo.

If you cannot do it yourself, get out the wallet.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

charger Downunder

Tell him to do it and you will only pay him for the time he is working on the car no fixed rate of 90 hours. When he is ready to do your car pay a junior to watch over your car for the week to make a note of hours worked. No way it would take 90 hours.
[/quote]

Dino

Moparshop.de 

I remember them...  I'd buy the cherry picker and a few six packs if I were you.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

skip68

Charlie, take it somewhere else.    The last thing you need is them touching your car.   Even if you negotiate on a price they may still say they ran into a problem and milk more money out of you.  It's just nuts & bolts man.   Headers can be tricky but not 25 hours worth.   This tells you 2 things about them.    Either they DON'T know what they're doing or they're trying to rip you off.   Either way it tells you one thing, YOU DON'T WANT THEM TO TOUCH YOUR CAR.  

Maybe we've got a member close to you that could help do it on a weekend for beer & food.    :cheers:  

maxwellwedge

Run Forrest Run!

Pigs get fat......Hogs get slaughtered... :yesnod:

heyoldguy

I can get the engine out of a 75 New Port in 15 minutes with the cutting torch and forklift. Lemme do the Charger!

Whats wrong with asking, "Seems a little steep in hours. Can you explain why you feel it will be that labor intensive?"

There could be some special circumstances he might see with your Charger.

No nevermind, let's all just assume he's a crook!

moparguy01

I don't assume he's a crook. I assume he's incompetent. :nana:

tan top

good days work ,  if i was twenty years  younger  ;)
 now i just do a bit , have a sit down  , &   drink / food  & look what i've done , then do a bit more  :lol:

:Twocents:  may be as much as 20 hours max even if you not got a lift , just jack & stands , yeah headers can be a pain  , but all the stuff is new ,  also depending  if you got OEM kick down linkage & what model , you got to cut & narrow the bit that it fitted to the bellhousing pin , no idea what its called  , but  call it an hour of time  ,

having said days work  , would do stuff like that all ther time when i was younger  ,

but for a paying customer , i would want to double / trebble check , test everything  , as its your name , who fitted it all & set it up , the days of the internet is easy to get a black mark against your name doing crap work  :Twocents:

but 90 hours ,  :pigsfly:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

skip68

Hell, you could fly one of us over to you round trip to do the swap and be cheaper and quicker.    :yesnod:

Cooter

Quote from: heyoldguy on December 13, 2012, 11:30:09 AM
I can get the engine out of a 75 New Port in 15 minutes with the cutting torch and forklift. Lemme do the Charger!

Whats wrong with asking, "Seems a little steep in hours. Can you explain why you feel it will be that labor intensive?"

There could be some special circumstances he might see with your Charger.

No nevermind, let's all just assume he's a crook!

:2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

charlie45

Quote from: skip68 on December 13, 2012, 12:21:53 PM
Hell, you could fly one of us over to you round trip to do the swap and be cheaper and quicker.    :yesnod:

I actually just found a mechanic near Munich (where I live) who does Mopars and he seems fair and honest... He owns a 69 Charger himself that he's in the process of restoring. He was recommended to me by a bunch of guys on the Mopar forum here in Germany...