News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Toe In After Lower ball joint replace?

Started by Pitrow, November 29, 2012, 12:17:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pitrow

Hello Everyone. New here and need some help!. Have a 69 charger r/t and recently replaced the lower ball joints and lower control arm bushings. The problem i'm having is when the center link and tie rods are back in place it's toed in real bad. No adjustments were made to tie rods so how can things change this much!  :brickwall: I'm thinking the ball joints are wrong as i figured out that the disc brakes on the car are a swap from a 1976 on up something. Is it possible that the new 1968 ball joints that i put in are wrong and i should be using a later model ball joint due to the swap on the brakes.

Any help would be great
Thank's
Paul

Chryco Psycho

with the ball joints & especially the LCA bushings beat the arm could have been sitting 1/4" or more out from where they should be , pull the arms back in to place & the tierods on the rear are now too long so you need to shorten them to gt the tires lined up , makes perfect sense to me .

HPP

Did you get everything with the strut rods back together correctly and/or did you replace those bushings along with the control arm bushes?

Like CP said, you may have put everything back where it is supposed to be, so now your adjustment is off compared to where it was with defective bushings. Shorten up the two tie rods and everything will be back to normal.

bull

Anytime you replace steering parts you need to have an alignment done.

Hard Charger

Having just removed my LCA and strut rod today i would bet that the LCA bushing is not in the right location in the LCA or the LCA is not mounted right in the k-frame. This could cause your problem.
i did my challenger last winter and the parts appear to be the same as my 68 so i would not think a 69 would differ even with newer spindles.

Stretch

I may be schizophrenic but at least I have us!