News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How's business?

Started by Mytur Binsdirti, November 28, 2012, 11:08:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mytur Binsdirti

I own a small businees here in MA & like many, we definately took a hit when the economy went into the dumper 4+ years ago. This year, sales are up a bit, but over the past 4 weeks or so, the phones have been slowing down. Fortunately, we do have a backlog of work that will come due in 2013, but I just don't know when in 2013 that will be. Overall, I think we'll be ok, but like many, Iit is concerning how our elected officials will handle the mess that they've created as that will have a major impact, one way or the other, on the economy. I'm not trying to "go political", I'm just stating a fact.

So, how's business in your neck of the woods?

JB400

Kinda hard to tell for me.  My work is more seasonal, but it is slowing down.  Boss did have to raise the price at the car wash due to soap price increase.  Construction work seems steady for right now.

Dans 68

Slow also. I noticed a decrease in phone traffic to the office starting a few years back. I doubt I can keep the office doors open through 2016...and being in California with the greenies and Brownies sure doesn't help matters.

But I own two Chargers so I still smile everyday.  ;)

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

Dino

As always in health care business is booming and we can't keep up with demand.  I'm scheduling patients 7-8 weeks out.  I'm glad I got out of autobody when I did.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

chargerboy69

One word. . . slow.

I own a RV dealership and this is usually our slow time, but this year, this fall has been extremely slow.  This year was a record for the amount of units we sold, however, not for profits. Nearly every unit we dropped the prices more than ever just to move them. I was set to hire two more people, and to be honest, after the election we told them the positions were no longer open.  With taxes and healthcare changes in 2013 we are not sure what to expect.  

My wife is a manager for a very large bank here in town.  She is friends with the president of the bank, and a couple weeks ago she asked him what he saw coming down the economical road.  His answer, "prepare".  Not one person at the top sees this coming year as a good year for the economy.  All we can do is keep our overhead low and adjust the best we can. I am confident we will be able to stay open, but I will not be ordering a new F-350 anytime soon.
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

NHCharger

I saw the reccession coming and closed my home building business seven years and went to work as a job super for a commercial developer. Except for the last 5 month we've been busy. In the last few weeks things have picked up a bit. My boss said he thinks a lot of businesses were waiting to see who got elected before moving ahead. We did have one company that we were planning to build a 40,000 SF addition for put the plans on "hold".
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

NHCharger

72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Cooter

Rollin'...Ain't NOBODY going back to horse and buggy. PLENTY of junk trying to be kept on the road.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

hemi68charger

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on November 28, 2012, 11:08:47 AM
...So, how's business in your neck of the woods?

I'm doing great here in Houston. Recently went from an oil service company to Chevron with a 50% pay raise and signing bonus.. (plus, I get employee discount on Chevron fuels (sooooo, my Daytona and wallet like that). So, life is good.... With your recent acquisiton of one said j-code XS298, you must be doing fairly well too...  I see you have a fairly lax dress code by the beard and turban...  :icon_smile_big:
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

68X426

My business is doing very well, but that's because I built it. Just a fact.

It's my clients and my friends that are getting roughed up, both those employed and those owning businesses. Those unemployed are obviously hurting the most.

In California it is damn near futile to start a business. It is equally depressing to see what is planned for taxation and regulations in the Golden State. This state will be getting lots of what it voted for. So my clients and friends struggle in the California economy, waiting on the next recession.

I'm not recession proof, but I will survive.  :2thumbs:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Dino

Economists have been warning use for decades and it's finally catching up.  Get ready folks, the next recession is going to leave the last looking like a walk in the park.  And this cannot be blamed on a specific side of the isle.  This mess is 100% bipartisan, like it or not.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: hemi68charger on November 28, 2012, 12:55:01 PM

With your recent acquisiton of one said j-code XS298, you must be doing fairly well too...  I see you have a fairly lax dress code by the beard and turban...  :icon_smile_big:

I do run a lean ship here, but I also work 10-13 hours a day. We just hired a new man with the thought being that some of the load can be taken off of me so I don't have to work such long hours. But, but that will cut into my take home pay. So, it's a good thing I got the Hemi when I did.  :yesnod:

hemi68charger

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on November 28, 2012, 01:16:30 PM
... We just hired a new man with the thought being that some of the load can be taken off of me so I don't have to work such long hours. But, but that will cut into my take home pay. So, it's a good thing I got the Hemi when I did.  :yesnod:

Sharing the wealth with another so they may live their dream and not "sharing the wealth" with the government.... Good use of resources...  :2thumbs:
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

1970Moparmann

The company I work for is doing pretty well.  BUT, it is due to customers jumping from another company to ours.  Traditionally, the business comes from brick and mortar, which as you know has slowed down to almost a halt. 

I have one customer that is opening stores like crazy, so this has helped me a TON.
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

Charger-Bodie

Business is very good here. We feel very blessed to be thriving in this economy. Always tried to keep a good reputation and it has paid off.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

69rtse4spd

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on November 28, 2012, 01:16:30 PM
Quote from: hemi68charger on November 28, 2012, 12:55:01 PM

With your recent acquisiton of one said j-code XS298, you must be doing fairly well too...  I see you have a fairly lax dress code by the beard and turban...  :icon_smile_big:

I do run a lean ship here, but I also work 10-13 hours a day. We just hired a new man with the thought being that some of the load can be taken off of me so I don't have to work such long hours. But, but that will cut into my take home pay. So, it's a good thing I got the Hemi when I did.  :yesnod:

No way to use the Hemi for bussiness write off.  ;D.

rebby

Quote from: 68X426 on November 28, 2012, 01:12:51 PM
My business is doing very well, but that's because I built it. Just a fact.

You didn't build that! LOL

In all seriousness though, my small businesses (I own/co-own 3) are doing pretty well. As well as I'd like them to anyway. In addition to my small business, I have a full time job so, each business thrives proportional to the amount of time that I (and my partners) can devote to them. That's all that I can ask for.
Curt Rebelein, Junior
1969 Charger R/T SE (500 Stroker/833/D60 w/XP VIN)
1969 Charger (440/727/8.75, GL Project)

cdr

Quote from: Dino on November 28, 2012, 01:16:01 PM
Economists have been warning use for decades and it's finally catching up.  Get ready folks, the next recession is going to leave the last looking like a walk in the park.  And this cannot be blamed on a specific side of the isle.  This mess is 100% bipartisan, like it or not.
:iagree: :iagree:

WELL SAID MR DINO                                     
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

68X426

This little article just popped up, "Best and Worst Run States". Very relevant, since I live in California.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/the-best-and-worst-run-states-in-america-150415625.html

Yeah, the Golden State is worst for a second year in a row. So when you ask how's business, I am so happy to say that I live in one of the healthiest areas of this sorry state, but we can't out-run the folks who manage the state's affairs. Headwinds and hurdles is all we see when you own your business here. And in California it is 100% partisan.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

tsmithae

I have been doing pretty well.  I have managed to stay busy and I am in a freelance field.  I find that a lot of how successful you are is based upon how motivated you are, the quality of work, and how well you interact with people.  Not that any of that is really news to anyone... I am  admittedly quite nervous going into December - March which are inherent slow seasons for my industry. Here's to hoping that I get enough work to be able to work on my Charger on the days that I am not working!
Check out my full thread and progress here.

http://www.1970chargerregistry.com/mboard/index.php?topic=119.0

Silver R/T

I work for large machine manufacturing company and we're staying busy.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

NHCharger

Quote from: 68X426 on November 29, 2012, 05:55:05 PM
This little article just popped up, "Best and Worst Run States". Very relevant, since I live in California.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/the-best-and-worst-run-states-in-america-150415625.html

Yeah, the Golden State is worst for a second year in a row. So when you ask how's business, I am so happy to say that I live in one of the healthiest areas of this sorry state, but we can't out-run the folks who manage the state's affairs. Headwinds and hurdles is all we see when you own your business here. And in California it is 100% partisan.

Same article but they also note what party is in control of the State.

http://www.ijreview.com/2012/11/23354-top-5-best-governed-states-are-red-not-the-left-wing-kind/
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

flyinlow

I work for a large Airline, headquartered in Atlanta. We have made a profit the last couple of years, due mostly to controlling costs. Not much growth , too many concerns over fuel prices, carbon taxes and the business environment in general.

Patronus

Im slammed here in Boulder, CO. I have to work two jobs daily and weekends to keep up. Im in construction.
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

Back N Black

I'm in the Military, but plan on retiring in a couple of years. It scary out there right now, not sure what to do?