News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

GENERAL LEE TALK, WE'RE GOING DEEP ON THIS ONE..................................

Started by skip68, November 27, 2012, 09:28:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

Depending on how you choose to perceive those symbols.  You are obviously an educated man so I know you are aware they have very different meanings to different people at different times.
It seems a pretty big leap of faith to assume that anyone who displays a rebel flag is somehow a supporter of dissolving the United States.  Or do you think it means you are a supporter of slavery?    As for putting a swastika on your car, certainly most would think you were a neo nazi and or a proponent of genocide.  I would state that some might believe you were touting the Hindu symbol for "good".  You would tell me that it is extremely unlikely that many in the modern world would make that connection as the modern interpretation of the symbol has become markedly different.  At that point I would state that the same is true of the rebel falg.
You will disagree with all of this.

John_Kunkel

Quote from: Ghoste on December 02, 2012, 03:38:18 PM
It seems a pretty big leap of faith to assume that anyone who displays a rebel flag is somehow a supporter of dissolving the United States.

Uhhhh....didn't Texas recently apply to secede from the Union? If displaying the American flag makes one a patriot what does displaying the rebel flag make one? If I put up a swastika avatar would the mods leave it?

Symbology is just that...symbology and I think some symbols are dumb and over-used....the thread is about opinions.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Ghoste

Absolutely.  You offered yours, I countered with mine, and you disputed it with yours.  I didn't defame you in any way John, I merely disagree with your opinion as you do mine.  No more no less.  :cheers:

JB400

The rebel flag is just a way of some people having fun.(Redneck)  If people are displaying it as a flag of succession, I do not know. 

As far as displaying a swastika as an avatar, you might want to ask the mods.  WW2 is still fresh in everyone's minds, don't know about offending someone.  We have a few Europeans on here.  If you want to know what everyones' opinions are, start a thread or a poll.

Ghoste

Not as a dispute but as a quick aside, did Texas ever adopt the Confederate flag?  Even during the Civil War have they not always maintained their status as being the "Lone Star" state? (hence their state flag)

Cooter

Quote from: John_Kunkel on December 02, 2012, 03:26:19 PM
Quote from: Cooter on December 01, 2012, 03:37:30 PM
Quote from: John_Kunkel on December 01, 2012, 03:23:11 PM

Rebel flag? If ignorant redneck symbology is your thing...........  ::)

Most times I find your posts informative John, but this time, I'm afraid you showed us who's an "Ignorant Redneck" by making a comment like that.

As you can tell by my name, I'm of German heritage.....so, following the "show your flag" mentality I should have a Charger with a swastika painted on the roof?

Both the rebel flag and the swastika are symbols of a dark time in history. Sorry I don't see the fascination with displaying either.

There's one helluva difference between displaying that flag on the back of your truck and dragging people to their deaths...And displaying it on the roof of the GL.(Heritage, not hate)
Same thing with the Swastika of Germany. My reply to your post was about classing a whole group of poeple from the south as ignorant...Just like classing all Germans as Nazis, when we clearly know they aren't, even if both act like it sometimes. Opinions are neg. and pos. then there's this one, plain ignorant. Sorry, but you just dropped down a few pegs on my scale in class. I'm even surprized you of all people would even be in such a discussion John. You are usually a "proof" read type.
Now ghoste I get, but you.... Truly "Ignorant" people tend to only "see" the "Dark times in history" regarding BOTH flags.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

68coronetGLwannabe

I pointed to two old drunks sitting across the bar from us and told my friend
"That's us in 10 years".
He said "That's a mirror, dip-shit!

skip68

skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

mrsskip68

Cooter & Ghoste: Both of you, take a Midol and go to bed.  :nana:

P.S. We had more black people run up to our GL and praise it , than white people. It was just a dam tv show that was good and basically holesome entertainment, thats all. Dont read too much into it.

JB400

Back to the swastika deal, wasn't the chinese version pointed the other way?

Cooter

Back to the Rebel Flag, Wasn't the "Ignorant" verson pointed backwards?
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Mike DC

There would probably be a lot more Swastikas being flown today if that was the only flag Germany ever had.  The end of WWII did not mean the end of the German culture.  It did not mean the end of living Germans wanting to sport a symbol of cultural pride.   

Ghoste

Its a little known fact that Hitler did commission a very limited run of Panzer tanks with a unique style of bogie wheels for the tracks with a more finned appearance than spokes.  These special tanks known as Der Leezendiebridgenjumperzee were designed for moving through congested zones and getting across any areas where there were bombed out bridges.  They had custom designed steel racks on the front of them that could push away brush or other war vehicles in their way.  To make these tanks easy for his troops to spot he had a large 01 on the side of them and they were finished in a proprietary shade of orange that know one has ever been able to accurately duplicate.  Perhaps the most bizare feature of all though, was the huge rectangular symbol painted on the top of the turret so that aircraft could easily spot them too.  A red background for this symbol saw a crossed bar of blue on it with stars in the bars.  Legend had it that Hitler personally designed this symbol alledgedly saying, and I quote, " I am zick upenzee mit dis borrowing of symbols from der other races like der swastika und stuff, I am dezigning der symbol here for der proving to Amerikanners how much of der badassenzee I am.  Yeeeehaw und Zieg Heil me!"

Cooter

Quote from: Ghoste on December 03, 2012, 06:40:57 AM
Its a little known fact that Hitler did commission a very limited run of Panzer tanks with a unique style of bogie wheels for the tracks with a more finned appearance than spokes.  These special tanks known as Der Leezendiebridgenjumperzee were designed for moving through congested zones and getting across any areas where there were bombed out bridges.  They had custom designed steel racks on the front of them that could push away brush or other war vehicles in their way.  To make these tanks easy for his troops to spot he had a large 01 on the side of them and they were finished in a proprietary shade of orange that know one has ever been able to accurately duplicate.  Perhaps the most bizare feature of all though, was the huge rectangular symbol painted on the top of the turret so that aircraft could easily spot them too.  A red background for this symbol saw a crossed bar of blue on it with stars in the bars.  Legend had it that Hitler personally designed this symbol alledgedly saying, and I quote, " I am zick upenzee mit dis borrowing of symbols from der other races like der swastika und stuff, I am dezigning der symbol here for der proving to Amerikanners how much of der badassenzee I am.  Yeeeehaw und Zieg Heil me!"

Gotta quit living with all that hate Man. Gotta stop dwelling on the "Darker side" of history. Only "Ignorant" people do that.

skip68

So, what I'm hearing you say Ghoste is that hitler was no Yankee?   I would agree with that.   Thanks for sharing.  You're very special.    :pity:   
     Cooter, you're taking this just a bit personal and I'm glad you're sharing your feelings to. You are very special also.    :pity:
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

bill440rt

Quote from: Ghoste on December 03, 2012, 06:40:57 AM

:yesnod:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Cooter

Quote from: skip68 on December 03, 2012, 09:01:14 AM

Cooter, you're taking this just a bit personal and I'm glad you're sharing your feelings to. You are very special also.    :pity:

In the words of the imortal other guy in that other thread, "Some have no sense of humor"..

John_Kunkel

Quote from: Cooter on December 02, 2012, 11:58:17 PM
My reply to your post was about classing a whole group of poeple from the south as ignorant...

So, "all" (a whole group) people from the South embrace the stars and bars? Hmmm.

You misunderstand "symbology". I guess some think that displaying the rebel flag makes them appear to be rebellious and free-spirited but in reality it just makes them one of a herd.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Ghoste

We all belong to one herd or another.  Whether we think we do or not.

TUFCAT

Knock Knock
Who's there?
General Lee!
General Lee who!
Generally I don't tell Dukes of Hazzard jokes!  :D

bull

TUFCAT

Ghoste