News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

OK, opening a can of worms, but, What is so Great about the General Lee?

Started by johnnyseville, November 20, 2012, 09:12:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

That would be a whole new debate which would only further serve the notion that we are like a bunch of Vette owners.  :D

Mytur Binsdirti

Ghoste

TheGhost

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

Lennard

Quote from: Ghoste on November 28, 2012, 07:20:56 PM
That would be a whole new debate which would only further serve the notion that we are like a bunch of Vette owners.  :D
Okay, this is the 3rd time I'm reading this in a reply... what's wrong with being a Corvette owner?

:moon:  :nana:

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Bobs69

Quote from: johnnyseville on November 20, 2012, 09:12:01 AM
First, I watched the showed regularly, not because of the Charger, but because of Catherine Bach :D  The Charger was OK, but I never caught on to wanting to make my Charger a replica of that.  So someone please explain to me what was I missing?  Why did you want one?  Maybe you can convert me and I will end up making one next time  around.

I say you are in denial and are a closet DOH fan right now and want one.

JB400

Nothing wrong with having a vette.  They just sort of set the standard for the restoration hobby on rules and definitions.

Captain D

One thing that I feel that we should keep in mind is that all T.V shows, regardless of the era, have a degree of corniness - especially the 70s and 80s. Heck, in this era we have Everyone Loves Ramon and The Big Bang Theory. I had brought myself to watch the latter show and thought that it was more corny than any T.V. show that I had ever seen. And, watching Everyone Loves Ramon, I felt that I needed two beers after work - one for work and the other from this show for it wasn't enjoyable and relaxing to say the least - by the end of each show everyone was yelling and screaming at each other. How is this so funny? I was still so stressed out,  :eek2:. As I mentioned, all T.V. shows from every era has a degree of corniness.

Personally, I don't quite understand the negativity towards Dukes. In a nutshell, the Dukes combined awesome stunts and driving sequences with our beloved 69' Charger, great character actors, teaching kids the importance of honesty and integrity, the setting taking place in the bygone simple Americana rural farmhouse family environment that is missed in our technological day and age, and something unique we don't see on T.V. anymore - prayer and saying grace at the table. Not that I've seen too many Trekie episodes/movies, but I don't recall seeing too many Kling-ons saying grace/prayer prior to when they ate, lol.

Besides, restoring a 69' Charger is no cheaper for us 'Dukies' than for anyone else in the hobby. Body part suppliers owe their business from both G.L. and non-G.L. restorers alike. After all, if there are those who feel that Dukes destroyed a great many 69' Chargers they are correct in feeling that way (when I talked with Ben Jones/Cooter - he said 309 were destroyed). However, Dukes fans should be recognized as for saving/preserving/restoring just as many Chargers that were destroyed - if not more - to help make up for that loss. My G.L., for instance, was almost to the point of being a parts car in that 'everything' needed to be replaced and I recall family and friends saying that this car will never see the road. But, as of two weeks ago, my G.L. miraculously won both a plaque and trophy at a few car shows! If Dukes hadn't come along I seriously doubt that I would have ever rescued a 69' Charger and give it a second chance at life  :2thumbs:

When I go to these car shows with my G.L., people - both young and old - constantly come up to the car and want to have their picture taken with it because they recognize it as symbolizing the simple life, family values, and good clean wholesome fun that is rare in an age where sexuality and violence keeps pushing the limits to what can be shown on T.V. nowadays. Although winning plaques and trophies can certainly be rewarding, I don't care if I ever win anything at any of the shows for two reasons: 1.) I like to give back that sense of nostalgia, 2.) Making people happy. Last month, we surprised a 12 year old boy who has a mild form of autism and down-syndrome by pulling up in his drive-way and taking him for a spin. He was just about to go into the hospital  for a new problem involving his stomach the day after we surprised him and as he sat in the passenger seat with the wind in his hair as we cruised down the road he had the biggest smile on his face. There for a moment he forgot all of his problems and his parents came up to me afterwards and said that being able to go for a ride in the General Lee was the best medicine in helping to boost his spirits prior to going into the hospital. With that being said, it is moments like that that I live for and helped building this G.L. worthwhile.

And, to those asking the question, "what's the big deal about Dukes," all I can add further is that if you watch the show try to look past any sense of corniness that is found in every T.V. show of every era and see the underlying positive values that made the show a hit in the first place. As Mopar guys, if anything, we should feel privileged that our 69' Charger was used for such an honor. Anyhow, just my personal experiences and take from it what you may...

Best regards,
Aaron  

Cooter

Quote from: Captain D on November 29, 2012, 12:47:57 AM

If Dukes hadn't come along I seriously doubt that I would have ever rescued a 69' Charger and give it a second chance at life  :2thumbs:

When I go to these car shows with my G.L., people - both young and old - constantly come up to the car and want to have their picture taken with it because they recognize it as symbolizing the simple life, family values, and good clean wholesome fun that is rare in an age where sexuality and violence keeps pushing the limits to what can be shown on T.V. nowadays.

Best regards,
Aaron  

Well said.  :cheers:
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

BY RSCO

Quote from: Lennard on November 28, 2012, 09:53:58 PM
That would be a whole new debate which would only further serve the notion that we are like a bunch of Vette owners.  :D
Okay, this is the 3rd time I'm reading this in a reply... what's wrong with being a Corvette owner?

Hey Lennnard - when u gonna paint the vette orange and put numbers on the side - you already got the wheels!! :smilielol:
sorry, but could not resist...  ;D

BY RSCO

"When I go to these car shows with my G.L., people - both young and old - constantly come up to the car and want to have their picture taken with it because they recognize it as symbolizing the simple life, family values, and good clean wholesome fun that is rare in an age where sexuality and violence keeps pushing the limits to what can be shown on T.V. nowadays. Although winning plaques and trophies can certainly be rewarding, I don't care if I ever win anything at any of the shows for two reasons: 1.) I like to give back that sense of nostalgia, 2.) Making people happy. Last month, we surprised a 12 year old boy who has a mild form of autism and down-syndrome by pulling up in his drive-way and taking him for a spin. He was just about to go into the hospital  for a new problem involving his stomach the day after we surprised him and as he sat in the passenger seat with the wind in his hair as we cruised down the road he had the biggest smile on his face. There for a moment he forgot all of his problems and his parents came up to me afterwards and said that being able to go for a ride in the General Lee was the best medicine in helping to boost his spirits prior to going into the hospital. With that being said, it is moments like that that I live for and helped building this G.L. worthwhile."

THIS is what it is about folks.! Awesome story

Dino

Quote from: Captain D on November 29, 2012, 12:47:57 AM
One thing that I feel that we should keep in mind is that all T.V shows, regardless of the era, have a degree of corniness - especially the 70s and 80s. Heck, in this era we have Everyone Loves Ramon and The Big Bang Theory. I had brought myself to watch the latter show and thought that it was more corny than any T.V. show that I had ever seen. And, watching Everyone Loves Ramon, I felt that I needed two beers after work - one for work and the other from this show for it wasn't enjoyable and relaxing to say the least - by the end of each show everyone was yelling and screaming at each other. How is this so funny? I was still so stressed out,  :eek2:. As I mentioned, all T.V. shows from every era has a degree of corniness.

Personally, I don't quite understand the negativity towards Dukes. In a nutshell, the Dukes combined awesome stunts and driving sequences with our beloved 69' Charger, great character actors, teaching kids the importance of honesty and integrity, the setting taking place in the bygone simple Americana rural farmhouse family environment that is missed in our technological day and age, and something unique we don't see on T.V. anymore - prayer and saying grace at the table. Not that I've seen too many Trekie episodes/movies, but I don't recall seeing too many Kling-ons saying grace/prayer prior to when they ate, lol.

Besides, restoring a 69' Charger is no cheaper for us 'Dukies' than for anyone else in the hobby. Body part suppliers owe their business from both G.L. and non-G.L. restorers alike. After all, if there are those who feel that Dukes destroyed a great many 69' Chargers they are correct in feeling that way (when I talked with Ben Jones/Cooter - he said 309 were destroyed). However, Dukes fans should be recognized as for saving/preserving/restoring just as many Chargers that were destroyed - if not more - to help make up for that loss. My G.L., for instance, was almost to the point of being a parts car in that 'everything' needed to be replaced and I recall family and friends saying that this car will never see the road. But, as of two weeks ago, my G.L. miraculously won both a plaque and trophy at a few car shows! If Dukes hadn't come along I seriously doubt that I would have ever rescued a 69' Charger and give it a second chance at life  :2thumbs:

When I go to these car shows with my G.L., people - both young and old - constantly come up to the car and want to have their picture taken with it because they recognize it as symbolizing the simple life, family values, and good clean wholesome fun that is rare in an age where sexuality and violence keeps pushing the limits to what can be shown on T.V. nowadays. Although winning plaques and trophies can certainly be rewarding, I don't care if I ever win anything at any of the shows for two reasons: 1.) I like to give back that sense of nostalgia, 2.) Making people happy. Last month, we surprised a 12 year old boy who has a mild form of autism and down-syndrome by pulling up in his drive-way and taking him for a spin. He was just about to go into the hospital  for a new problem involving his stomach the day after we surprised him and as he sat in the passenger seat with the wind in his hair as we cruised down the road he had the biggest smile on his face. There for a moment he forgot all of his problems and his parents came up to me afterwards and said that being able to go for a ride in the General Lee was the best medicine in helping to boost his spirits prior to going into the hospital. With that being said, it is moments like that that I live for and helped building this G.L. worthwhile.

And, to those asking the question, "what's the big deal about Dukes," all I can add further is that if you watch the show try to look past any sense of corniness that is found in every T.V. show of every era and see the underlying positive values that made the show a hit in the first place. As Mopar guys, if anything, we should feel privileged that our 69' Charger was used for such an honor. Anyhow, just my personal experiences and take from it what you may...

Best regards,
Aaron  

There's a few things in there I simply can't agree on.  However it matters not as your heart is in the right place as proven when you surprised the 12 year old.   :2thumbs:

One thing I have to say though, it's 'Everybody loves Raymond'.  He's Italian, not Spanish.   :lol:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

skip68

skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Mytur Binsdirti

Cooter

" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Captain D

I do tend to write a lot, eh, lol? Sorry about that,   :icon_smile_wink:

Although a fan, such as myself, wouldn't mind hearing of what others may not agree on with regards to Dukes' just to better learn why all the negativity - its probably best to just let it ride since we all simply have different views to say the least  :2thumbs:.

As for a new tech section coming from a fan's perspective, either way with or without is cool at this point. Coming from that fan's perspective, yeah, it would be nice to have a section where those building a G.L. can post to receive some more hands-on knowledge on what was used on the show and what works/what doesn't work, as well as see variances on how different builders built them (as Kilgas01 had shown) simply because the 'garage' section on those fan sites can be quite limited with the amount of responses as compared to the wealth of knowledge on this site. After all, it's possible to focus on the positive, rather than the negative, in practically anything when it comes down to if we so choose to do so. However, if this new possible new section may lead to a Dukes bashing frenzy, then I agree it may be best to simply separate the two boards altogether. As a Dukes fan, I can just as easily post there as I can here. After all, I can also respect this board, and all of its members, enough to state that if they want it Dukes free so as to focus primarily on just the 68-70' Charger without any additional themed car topics then so be it. Since I got my 69' over six years ago, this site has been a true Godsend in the amount of helpful information that I've received over the years and I just don't want to stir up any ill feelings because of the respect that I have for this site. With that, I'll exit from this discussion as gracefully as I can and say that I hope y'all have a great holiday and see you in the threads to come!  :cheers:

High regards,
Aaron          

Mytur Binsdirti

mauve66

Quote from: Lennard on November 28, 2012, 09:53:58 PM

don't worry , your NOT in the ELITE vette owners, your tires stick out past the wheel wells and we know that's not "correct", so your just a regular "joe" like the rest of us............. sorry
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

Lennard

Quote from: BY RSCO on November 29, 2012, 01:27:47 AM
Hey Lennnard - when u gonna paint the vette orange and put numbers on the side - you already got the wheels!! :smilielol:
sorry, but could not resist...  ;D
That's why I bought a '69 Charger R/T  :nana:

Quote from: mauve66 on November 29, 2012, 05:02:59 PM
don't worry , your NOT in the ELITE vette owners, your tires stick out past the wheel wells and we know that's not "correct", so your just a regular "joe" like the rest of us............. sorry
But... but only in the rear! :rotz:

mauve66

those side pipes are killer though, wonder if they are long enough for a charger................
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
alignment

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Lennard

Since 99% of these Corvettes have Chrome side pipes I bought the Black Hooker super competitions... and now people ask me why I didn't bought the Chrome pipes.  ;D

mauve66

Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim