News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

OK, opening a can of worms, but, What is so Great about the General Lee?

Started by johnnyseville, November 20, 2012, 09:12:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: hemi68charger on November 27, 2012, 01:01:24 PM
Mickey Mouse started off as a normal "mouse"..... Now he's an national icon, similarly with the GL and the pop culture sitcom of the "Dukes of Hazard".

Are you saying that if you mickey mouse a Charger enough, you'll end up with a General Lee?    :P

HeavyFuel

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on November 27, 2012, 02:51:35 PM
Mickey Mouse started off as a normal "mouse"..... Now he's an national icon, similarly with the GL and the pop culture sitcom of the "Dukes of Hazard".

Are you saying that if you mickey mouse a Charger enough, you'll end up with a General Lee?    :P

That's friggin' awesome. :smilielol:

hemi68charger

No,,,, you're smarter than that... If you "mickey mouse" a Charger too much you end up with this.. 2 too-many doors

I mean, as you already know, a pop-culture icon is created and either adored or hated.....
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

rebby

Quote from: hemi68charger on November 27, 2012, 03:23:27 PM

Are you saying that if you mickey mouse a Charger enough, you'll end up with a General Lee?    :P

No,,,, you're smarter than that... If you "mickey mouse" a Charger too much you end up with this.. 2 too-many doors

I mean, as you already know, a pop-culture icon is created and either adored or hated.....

Priceless! LOL
Curt Rebelein, Junior
1969 Charger R/T SE (500 Stroker/833/D60 w/XP VIN)
1969 Charger (440/727/8.75, GL Project)

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: hemi68charger on November 27, 2012, 03:23:27 PM

Well, it really has been a slow down hill slide for the Charger since the end of the 1971 model year................

I'm no fan of the new Charger, but at least the SRT does have some pretty good performance, creature comforts & handling.

tippytoe

Here is my  :Twocents:

I enjoyed the show when it was in its prime. What else was there for a 10 year old kid to do on Friday night except watch TV. I liked the show as a whole, but got the most enjoyment from the car chases & jumps. Aside from The Benny Hill Show, the Dukes was the only TV program I watched religiously.

Fast forward a few years later. I get my driver's liscense & start getting around in my first car (71 Monte Carlo). The Dukes show was just a memory to me. Heck, I didn't even know it was a Dodge Charger they drove. Anyway, a friend in my class starts driving his first car, a rusty 68 Charger with a 383 & auto on the floor. The engine was basically stock except for a lil bigger cam, Holley carb, & cheap headers. I was only 16 & wet behind the ears so I thought that Charger was freakin fast. Had alot of good memories riding shotgun in that old Charger. THAT was the car that turned me onto mopars & Chargers in particular. I ended up buying that 68 a few years later & it sleeps in the corner of the garage. The whole car is shot & would cost a mint to restore (rear frame rails are swis cheese) so its just garage art but has alot of sentimental memories to me.

Point of my post: The General Lee was good entertainment but it was the Dodge Chargers of the real world that made me love the 2nd gen Charger.

Lennard

You must be Richard Cranium. :-\

Cooter

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on November 27, 2012, 12:55:19 PM

I think the majority of people who ask a Charger owner "When you gonna paint it like the GL?" are just making conversation.  Maybe some really want to see it happen but a lot of them are just talking.  
This prolly true. It's the fact that "Die Hard" Charger/Purists/whatever seem to take offense to it is the part I focused on. So many get torn about it. Sure, It does get old answering Snide remarks about "Where's Daisy" type sh*t, but that goes along with it. If you own a GL, Christine, DMCL, F&F, Whatever Star car, you signed on for it.
I simply laugh when it happened to my Hemi buddy. He just thought he was gonna be the sh*t..Not beside that orange Dodge he wasn't. I never said a word while he was going through his torment, just smiled and kept talking to folks. That was enough for me. He got the point I was trying to allow him to see. Same thing here. Many refuse to admit it, but Those people need not apply here. I made no bones when all my buddies told me I would be a FOOL to paint mine up like some played out TV star. They were wrong in spades.

When it comes to GL owners defending the TV show as the source of the Charger's popularity, many of them are doing exactly that - defending their beloved car from criticism it is receiving. True....Thing is, the GL seems to be the only one needing such... 

I have yet to see a GL at a show with a signboard on the front that says "The General Lee, the source of the '69 Charger's popularity!" And you may never. But ask any younger Gen. Kid who just LOVES the DOH what kind of car it is, and he/she will reply "1969 Dodge Charger"...Yet, when you ask them how they know what year/make/model it is, they almost always reply the same way...Because that's what it said on my DOH Board Game/Video game/Trading cards/model cars,etc....I'm just amazed that the DOH and the GL can even hold a candle in ANY form of popularity with kids these days with CGI and such. Now, unlike then, you can make a car fly through the air with a couple strokes of a keyboard. The DOH had to do it the hard way. Some would argue it was the "Only right way".

" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

tippytoe

I just re-read my previous post & it may have came across that I am anti-GL. Truth is, I am not at all.  Heck, I am looking for a decent 69 for a GL clone. The point I was trying to make was my buddy's car is what turned me onto Chargers, not the Dukes.

skip68

Man, you guys are killing me.   :icon_smile_big:   why are we fighting?   We all love these cars no matter what color or flavor they are.   Some appeal to others more than others.   So what.   :yesnod:
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Mytur Binsdirti

Well, if a "General Lee only" section is out of the question, how about creating a "No General Lee allowed" section?    :2thumbs:

68coronetGLwannabe

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on November 27, 2012, 08:39:53 PM
Well, if a "General Lee only" section is out of the question, how about creating a "No General Lee allowed" section?    :2thumbs:

:poke:

I pointed to two old drunks sitting across the bar from us and told my friend
"That's us in 10 years".
He said "That's a mirror, dip-shit!

Someone should sneak in and put General Lee decals on Mytur Binisdirti bird, it is orange afterall.   :lol:

skip68

skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

BY RSCO

"If more GL's would be done right it would be much more fun but I can't stand the half assed hack jobs with spray bomb interiors any more.  Some members here have stunning GL's, JB's comes to mind.  Absolutely gorgeous"

You hit the nail on the head here! This is why I truly think most of the GL tribute cars have such a bad name. I personally like the General, (and chargers period) but I am so tired of seeing people doing a terrible restoration at best. I have heard the comment so many times "all you have to do if paint it orange and put the numbers on it" and that is what has left a bad taste in many peoples mouth. This is also the reason that I (like JB666 and a couple of others) am having a top quality restoration done on the car, then dressing it up for Halloween... As for Mytur, please post some pics of your completed car so we can have a reference of perfection to go by....

Mike DC

Go to a DOH convention and you will see no shortage of GORGEOUS General Lee replicas.  There are all kinds, from rough to perfect and everything in between. 

mrsskip68

I Loved our car! Simply put! Now you all shut up, and do what you want, to you're own cars!!!!!!!  :brickwall: NUFF SAID!

skip68

skip68

OK, I didn't say that.   Lisa hacked my account and changed what I said.  This is BS.    :flame:

JB400

Skip, your on her hit list.  Maybe you might want to change your mind.  Mrs already has the dog digging a spot in the back yard.

skip68

That's OK.  I'll post a nude picture of her and get us both banned from here.  Normally I sell nude pictures of her for .03 but I'll let these go for free.   

JB400

As your buddy (and to stay off her list)  I advice you not to.

Stroker could make a gif of her for the board.

BTW where's Kate Upon? It has been more than a few days.

BY RSCO

Quote from: skip68 on November 28, 2012, 02:00:21 AM
That's OK.  I'll post a nude picture of her and get us both banned from here.  Normally I sell nude pictures of her for .03 but I'll let these go for free.  

Skip, I do not know you other than from your posts here, but I would imagine you are getting in a tad bit of hot water with Mrs. Skip...... My wife would have grounded me by now. :'(

skip68