News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

We won't be having Wonder Bread toast for breakfast....

Started by Ponch ®, November 16, 2012, 12:44:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ponch ®

No Twinkies?!?! No Cupcakes?!?!? At this point, I'm hoping the Mayans are right, cuz theres no point in going on....

Hostess, maker of Twinkies, Ding Dongs and Wonder Bread, set to close and lay off 18,500 workers, citing nationwide strike as cause

Ding Dong! The Twinkie is dead.

And the Devil Dog, Drake's Coffee Cake and Wonder Bread, too.

Hostess, one of the nation's most iconic and enduring food brands, announced Friday it's going out of business and laying off 18,500 workers amid bankruptcy and labor strife.

The 82-year-old company will try to sell its formulas and brands, but until that happens no more Sno Balls or Ho Ho's will be made or shipped.

In the snack aisles of New York's food shops, there was mourning for those golden tubes of cream-filled sponge cake.

"Are you kidding me?" said Lorraine Bennett, 53, a medical worker from Bedford-Stuyvesant, Brooklyn. "After all these years, they're closing?

"Twinkies are my favorite! I love that cream filling. And you can fry them. We've got to protest. I'm calling the CEO."

Even though it racks up $2.5 billion in sales a year, Hostess has been in bankruptcy since January, for the second time in less than a decade.

The company wanted to slash wages and benefits, and while the Teamsters struck a deal, the bakers union balked and went on strike last week.

Crippled by the walkout, the company warned it would shut its 33 plants on Friday if workers weren't back on the job Thursday.

Management squarely blamed labor, saying union wages and pensions had made the company unprofitable and unable to secure financing to emerge from bankruptcy.

"We deeply regret the necessity of today's decision, but we do not have the financial resources to weather an extended nationwide strike," said CEO Gregory Rayburn.

But the bottom line also may have been hurt by skyrocketing competition in the snack industry and a trend toward healthier eating.

"They didn't change with the times," said Ivan Arguello, owner of a Key Food in Brooklyn Heights that does not stock Hostess products. "My children don't even know what Drake and Hostess are."

The bagel store next to the Key Food doesn't sell Hostess either — though worker Michael LaForte was sad to hear of the firm's demise.

"I grew up with the Twinkies," he said. "In fact, I sent a box to a friend in Austria a few months ago. He had seen them in the movies and wanted to try them.

"He loved them."

Bennett said she is so distraught at the loss of her favorite treat, she would even accept a tweaked version.

"Maybe they could make a whole-grain Twinkie," she said.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/eats/twinkie-maker-hostess-close-cites-nationwide-worker-strike-article-1.1203105#ixzz2CPOvy695
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

JB400

I guess we better stock up.  I haven't had a Twinkie in years,  I go get me a box or two.

Damn unions.  I can understand needing them at the turn of the last century, but we have laws now to prevent unsafe working conditions and get desent wages.  It all boils down to money.  Our American icons don't mean a damn thing anymore.  Just money.

I hope someone buys them and brings these treats back.

John_Kunkel

I hope the unions learn a lesson but I doubt they will. 
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

moparstuart

they wont go away all the good brands will be bought up by another company
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

JB400

They'll learn real quick.  A low paying job is better than no job.

I hope this is just a way to get them to resettle.  I don't want to see that many people lose their jobs and/or homes.  I showed my support for Hostess.  I bought a box of each product.  Get them now, when they're gone, they're gone.

Old Moparz

Sad to see a large company go under, but to simply blame the union for the sole reason is BS. I want to make a note that I'm not saying this as being pro-union, I have never been in one. I do think it may have been another nail in the coffin, but the company had a history of being poorly run. It had been bought & taken over many times by larger companies & had declared bankruptcy years ago. At one time, I think maybe in the late 70's, I'm pretty sure that one of the major telephone companies had owned Wonder Bread & might have been before the phone company was split up. (Can't find that online though)

My own idea on what also contributed to lower sales, is that more & more people are not eating pure garbage as much as they used to. Organic food sales are at all time highs & make up a much larger market than at anytime in the past. My wife, my daughter & myself, never eat any of that Hostess & Wonder stuff. Partly because of the list of science lab ingredients in them, but mostly because it tastes like shit.  :lol:

edit.....

I knew my memory was still working.   :smilielol:

It was ITT that had owned it........ http://www.itt.com/about/history/

The Conglomerate Years

The next chapter for ITT can best be described as the conglomerate years. From 1960 to 1977, with Harold Geneen at the helm, ITT acquired more than 350 companies — at one time securing deals at the rate of one acquisition per week. The portfolio included well-known businesses such as Sheraton hotels, Avis Rent-a-Car, Hartford Insurance and Continental Baking, the maker of Wonder Bread. Under Geneen's management, ITT grew from a medium-sized business with $760 million in sales to a global corporation with $17 billion in sales.
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

moparstuart

They have seen the writing on the wall for years with competition and healthy food choices cutting into there profit . Did they try and develope health options too NO , did they try and come up with sugar free stuff no . Do i think the union was stupid Yes , but so is upper management in this company too . My dad helped build this company and worked for them for almost 40 years as head of there legal department and arranged tons of acquisitions . He retired about 12 years ago and immediately ended up losing all his pention from them . So i have an axe to grind here anyway but there management is so stupid . Back when my dad was there they grew the brand and looked for new and innovative products . The last twinkie I ate was nasty and dry not even as good at the knock off out there from little debbie and the like .
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

twodko

I am pro union and worked the majority on my career as a union member. With that said we are far removed from the post WW2 needs of the country and it's workforce. The problem is the unions still behave like it is. Company/union relationships are so hostile and contentious these days it's ugly and counter productive working in that environment. Believe me I know and the union I belonged to represented highly skilled technical engineering staff. It's an us against them mentality that serves neither side well. There is also a lot of dead wood running unions that simply won't let go of the old ways and will not bargain with the economic realities of the times in mind. This attitude results in companies taking the "our way or the highway" stance which can only result in walk outs, lock outs, general strikes and ultimately permanent replacement workers. Companies and unions can't have It all their way, if unions are to survive, moderation, common sense and the financial health of the company and union must be at the fore front of contract negotiations. In many highly technical highly skilled professions where, at minimum, a Bachelors degree is required, union representation and bargaining serves both the company and union by attracting AND retaining the highest caliber non management employees as well as maintaining wage/benefits commensurate with the educational/skill sets required by the company.
Union "stick in the mud" leadership needs new blood and union members need to remember.......they work for the company not the union. Therein lies the problem. Unions still have a viable place in today's workforce but moderation not combat is the key.  :Twocents:
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Old Moparz

Quote from: twodko on November 16, 2012, 05:23:10 PM
I am pro union and worked the majority on my career as a union member. With that said we are far removed from the post WW2 needs of the country and it's workforce. The problem is the unions still behave like it is. Company/union relationships are so hostile and contentious these days it's ugly and counter productive working in that environment. Believe me I know and the union I belonged to represented highly skilled technical engineering staff. It's an us against them mentality that serves neither side well. There is also a lot of dead wood running unions that simply won't let go of the old ways and will not bargain with the economic realities of the times in mind. This attitude results in companies taking the "our way or the highway" stance which can only result in walk outs, lock outs, general strikes and ultimately permanent replacement workers. Companies and unions can't have It all their way, if unions are to survive, moderation, common sense and the financial health of the company and union must be at the fore front of contract negotiations. In many highly technical highly skilled professions where, at minimum, a Bachelors degree is required, union representation and bargaining serves both the company and union by attracting AND retaining the highest caliber non management employees as well as maintaining wage/benefits commensurate with the educational/skill sets required by the company.
Union "stick in the mud" leadership needs new blood and union members need to remember.......they work for the company not the union. Therein lies the problem. Unions still have a viable place in today's workforce but moderation not combat is the key.  :Twocents:

Man, that's so close to what I've observed over the years that it's hard to believe you're a union guy.   :lol:

I have to agree with you, I've seen the same thing at a few places over the years. The last place was a civil engineering firm that had Local 825 guys for land surveying. I heard more back stabbing conversations from both sides you'd have thought you might come to work one day & find dead bodies.  :lol:  Management constantly looked for projects & loop holes to get around the union, & the union constantly looked for ways to get in on everything the company did. Sad, because the people on both sides involved were decent until they had to work together.

When I was in college I worked part time in a packing & shipping company in NYC that was non union. During the time I was there it switched to a union shop & was only open for about one more year until the owner closed it down. It wasn't the union that was the reason for it's financial issues, but it was part of the "I'm not going to compromise under any condition" mentality from both sides.
               Bob                

stripedelete

The truth is somewhere in the middle. 

As already posted, the product will not go away.

nvrbdn

damn unions???? when the head honcho gets 2 mil a year and the mean ol union guy gets concessions every year? yea, lets teach those bad unions a lesson. the head honcho will still get his 2 mil when they close. what will the union worker get? thrown out in the street.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Fred

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

NHCharger

My job foreman has a friend that worked at the plant in Maine. Starting pay for a newbie was $20.00/hr. plus full bennys. Not bad for a rural area where most starter jobs for the same job skill is $10.00/hr.
The union pres has already blamed Romney and Bain-like capitalist pigs for the plant closing. He said nothing about the current President's wife campaign against junk foods like the products that Hostess sells.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Brock Samson

In the runup to the strike and bankruptcy:
"Hostess's then-CEO, Brian Driscoll, saw his salary rise to $2.55 million from $750,000--a 300% increase.

"Other executives' salaries were increased by from 35% to 80%," the creditors said".

http://www.teamster.org/content/dow-jones-uncovers-alleged-looting-hostess-amid-talk-%E2%80%98shared-sacrifice%E2%80%99-execs

I know three unrelated folks who have worked for Hostess at two different plants and Management was always trying to cheat them and deny them their benefits.

Mopar Nut

Someone is selling Twinkies on eBag, is this the guy selling the Cuda' for 3 million?
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

Mike DC

Who is seriously gonna buy a sugar-free Twinkie? 

IMHO if people aren't buying Hostess stuff anymore it's because they taste like crap these days.  That isn't because they are junkfood, it's because products like that are usually more like chemical imitations of junkfood than real junk these days.  The end result is usually even less healthy and tastes worse than real "junk" should. 

nvrbdn

who made the banana flips back in the day? havent been able to find them for forever. but my fav's are the raspberry zingers and the snow balls. :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

bull

The unions began failing as soon as they started protecting the lazy scammers among their own ranks and picking political sides. If the unions started holding their own members accountable rather than coddling the dirt bags they would probably thrive.

JB400

For the heck of it, I bought a couple boxes.  I will agree, management was a problem.  But, hey, like a said before, a low paying job is better than no job.  But, as far as management getting extreme raises, what company ceo's haven't given themselves these raises?  Some of these companies received bailouts, and the first thing they did was give everyone a bonus or a raise.  Management just needs to keep their hands out of the cookie jars.  Invest in the company itself and everyone profits.

As far as the unions, they are just as greedy as management.  If these unions want to make just as much as management, they need to be in management.  There is no way a dishwasher will make as much as the owner unless the dishwasher becomes the owner.

nvrbdn

70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Old Moparz

Poor advertising is another reason why they're going under. Think about it, which would you rather have? A cold, refreshing glass of wholesome, all natural, healthy milk that will get you more hot babes than Hugh Hefner, or some rubbery processed food forced on you by your grandma & a walking redneck phallic symbol snack that'll rot your teeth?
               Bob                

twodko

There goes anymore Twinke murder defense attempts.   :D
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

learical1

Quote from: twodko on November 17, 2012, 12:29:40 PM
There goes anymore Twinke murder defense attempts.   :D

How about the Twinkie withdrawal murder defense?
Bruce