News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Interior Colors for 68 Charger

Started by EMCustoms, February 09, 2006, 05:02:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EMCustoms

I am currently working on a 68 Charger that will have an exterior color of Purple pearl.  On the interior it will be all original black vinyl.  My question is on the body panels that show, such as the dash, door edge, and steering column, I am looking at painting these black because the purple would clash.  Is this a common thing that dodge did.  Looking at my passenger door which came off of a 69 it appears to be white on the door jam but around the area that shows inside the car it is black leading me to believe it had black interior.  Any input would be great. ???

Mike DC

The steel dashboard & steering column areas were always painted the same interior color as the rest of the vinyl & plastic on the dash area.  No big debate there.

(On a black interior it won't matter, but on the colored interiors the dashboard area was often a bit darker & flatter than the rest of the seats & door vinyl.  A lot of restored cars get put back together with everything the same shade.)

----------------------------------------------------------------

The door areas are the sticking point.  (As in, the narrow metal area visible below the door panel at the base of the door.)  You'll probably hear differing opinions, and there may have even been differnces depending on what model of Mopar you're talking about. 

I see a lot of nice & accurately restored 68-70 Chargers with that area still left the outer body color and I even see & hear it being referred to as "correct" sometimes.  But I think it's wrong.  Every time I see an original car, I see the same pattern:  The inner half of the metal door is painted to match the vinyl door panel color.  The parting line between the inteiror & exterior color on the door is always at the weatherstripping.

8WHEELER

Yes as you can tell from this picture the int colors should match, although with this 68 tan/gold int have different shades.

Dash housing should be a flat color, Matching the int color.
Steering column should be the same color and also a flat color.
Thee lower portion of the door also int color, all the cars I have seen are a gloss color.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

Mopar2Ya

I have a black/charcoal interior on my'70. What is the proper gloss level for th black paint?(satin, gloss, flat...) The dash is different?  :scratchchin:

1970 Charger R/T
2006 GC SRT8

RAWPWR

8WHEELER (Dan) is the retractor for your seatbelt on the wrong side? The one in the picture looks like it's for the passengers side. I'm not sure just a question
68 R/T Charger 440<br />00 Dakota

69 OUR/TEA

No matter what color the interior,the metal dash and steering column are basically the same color as the interior but from the factory are a suede finish,similar to a flat color but  appearing chalky.This is hard to duplicate,I had a quart made from a number given to me that was supposed to be for 69 B7 interior.It came out looking a little to grey,so I kept tinting it until I got it very close to the original shade found under my dash pad that was not affected by the sun.This was difficult because the B7 blue has metallic in it.

JimShine

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on February 10, 2006, 06:56:02 PM

The door areas are the sticking point.  (As in, the narrow metal area visible below the door panel at the base of the door.)  You'll probably hear differing opinions, and there may have even been differnces depending on what model of Mopar you're talking about. 

I see a lot of nice & accurately restored 68-70 Chargers with that area still left the outer body color and I even see & hear it being referred to as "correct" sometimes.  But I think it's wrong.  Every time I see an original car, I see the same pattern:  The inner half of the metal door is painted to match the vinyl door panel color.  The parting line between the inteiror & exterior color on the door is always at the weatherstripping.

I have unmolested factory doors from 3 different cars that all have factory paint down there matchiong the interior. They are also painted on each end of the upper door pad.