News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Ever do a Genealogy study on your car?

Started by AKcharger, October 25, 2012, 02:54:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AKcharger

Here in Alaska you can request ALL previously issued titles for your vehicle. When I got my '70 Charger back in '02 I decided to do just that and got a pretty good picture of the car's past. I was able to track down three previous owners and got some good info. I'd like to pursue it more someday.

I found though titles and some investigating that:

- My car was purchased new in Tucson AZ Spring of 1970

- Car came to Elmendorf AFB, Alaska with an Air Force guy in 1972

- Car stayed in Anchorage, though the '70's changing hands twice

- Sold to a couple around 1980, the couple divorced and lady got he car

- Sold to someone in Wasilla, AK (Go Sarah Palin  :icon_smile_tongue: ) mid 80's then engine blew up

- Car sat under a tree till purchased by a used car lot in '88-'89. They replaced the engine with a 400 and a '68 C-Body radiator then sold to a Lady in Homer, AK

- Lady kept it till late '90's then sold to a "car flipper" named Gary in Anchorage after it had wiring problems

- He replaced the wiring harness and sold it to an Army guy at Ft. Richardson in '99

- Army guy beat on car, blew up engine in late 2000 and sold it to a pal who was going to fix it up

- His Army pal pulled engine, put old block in truck and abandon car in a storage lot when he got out of the Army in 2001

- After a LOT of leg work I bought car in July 2002 for $750 ($500 for title from Army guy who lived in N.C. and $250 back storage)

- I dumped more time and $$$ into car than I could have imagined, but the car was back on road Feb 2004

- Car Shipped to Langley AFB VA Mar 2004 due to AF change of station

- Car put in long-term storage in Shenandoah PA 2006...still need to get it up back up here to AK one of these days but we visit it every year for Chrysler's at Carlise

- Car Converted to Pistol Grip 4 speed Oct 2012...Woo Hoo!!!!  :2thumbs:

Top - Car when I picked it up from storage lot it in 2002
Bottom - Car a few weeks ago as I dropped it off to storage after the 4 speed conversion

Paul G

Great story! I had a lot of history on my 73 when I had it. Passed what I had on to the new owner. All I have on my 72 is that it was a California car before it came to Arizona. No prrof of that.
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

Brock Lee

Indiana used to offer this service, but I am not sure they do anymore. I used to get the histories of all my cars.

Brightyellow69rtse

thats really cool to know its life story so to speak. id say you stole that thing for what you paid.

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

A383Wing

My black 66 was sold here in Seattle, I'm the 5th owner.

Our cream 66 was sold in Spokane, we are 2nd owner

Bryan

charge69

I don't know where my car originally sold but the guy I bought it off in 1976 got it from the original owner in 1971. That makes me the 3rd owner. It seem I heard stories of my car originally being sold somewhere on the East Coast but I have never tried to find out for sure. I do have the fender tag and build sheet for it.

A383Wing

fender tag & build sheet will not say where car was originally sold. Look on door jamb for old service station lube stickers, or some other paperwork. Mine has original owners manual which says where car was sold and to who

Bryan

bull

Wow, you got a lot of info. For some extra $$$ can you run my info through the Alaskan database or does it have to be licensed there?

Ghoste

I've tried to do that but without much luck.  Thats great that you were able to trace the entire history like that.

Iron Chef

That's really cool.  I wonder if Texas offers that service?

I know my car was originally a Canadian export and spent some time in Michigan, Pennsylvania and Oklahoma.
Most of your life should be "off the record."

cdr

i was able to trace mine back to 1974 4 owners
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

MoparMotel

I would love to do that, anyone have any info on how to do it in California. My dad bought my 68 in November 1998  for $4,500 in a town about 45 minutes away. It was in excellent shape no rust but the 727 was slipping bad. Car is numbers matching and still has its original California plates it came with new in 68 so it has always been a California car. Beyond that I don't know any of the previous history but would love to find out.
1968 Dodge Charger

rebby

Awesome bit of information.

One of my 69's was previously titled in AK. How did you go about getting that information on yours? Did it cost anything? Anyway for me to get that info from AK while I'm here in MN???
Curt Rebelein, Junior
1969 Charger R/T SE (500 Stroker/833/D60 w/XP VIN)
1969 Charger (440/727/8.75, GL Project)

74bluecharger440

That  history is so cool,, I haven't got a clue about mine ,,but the pic with the car on the tow ..that driver did not want it to budge a bit ,,he really plulled it tight on the back ,Not that it matters but when I see a pic I look  at everything in it , by the way what a  nice colour .

AKcharger

Mopar Motel, you'll have to check with your state's DMV. I got all mine from the AK DMV afte showing that I was the current owner, each state might be diffrent.

...Rebby you have mail

A383Wing

each state is different....some states won't or can't even do it because they don't keep records past so many years

Bryan

rebby

Quote from: AKcharger on October 27, 2012, 08:42:59 PM
Mopar Motel, you'll have to check with your state's DMV. I got all mine from the AK DMV afte showing that I was the current owner, each state might be diffrent.

...Rebby you have mail

Cool, thanks AK? I'll have to make a phone call or two on Monday.
Curt Rebelein, Junior
1969 Charger R/T SE (500 Stroker/833/D60 w/XP VIN)
1969 Charger (440/727/8.75, GL Project)