News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68 console auto to manual

Started by Brrmm, October 23, 2012, 09:32:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brrmm

just bought a 68 charger , 4 speed manual .. no console and want to put one in.. see a lot of autos for sale but no manuals.. is it easy to modify an auto
to fit ? is it just a matter of swapping out the face plates ? thanks

Dino

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/pts/3299693686.html

Or take an auto console, adapt the top plate and cut out the driver's side to clear the hump. 
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Ghoste

They reproduce them, they shouldn't be too hard to find?

Brrmm

thanks for ur replies .. and craigs list posting

Ghoste

AKcharger

Welcome to the site Brrrr

- An auto console will work, just trim our the area where the shifter goes.
- Will need fiberglass/plastic side cover
- Will need drivers side trim (for the above mentioned cover)
- Four speed top cover
- Best if you can find a complete console to start with , while all the parts are available new, you'll pay through the nose if you assemble it bit by bit

You might get some ideas from this post:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95764.0.html

kab69440

The worst part is finding a serviceable driver's side moulding. They are about as common as hen's teeth and cost a fortune.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

Dmichels

they repro the drivers side now
Dave
68 440 4 speed 4.10

AKcharger

Yup but with a '68 you'll have to buy a repro console top ($500) it's going to pricy to put it all together...might want to look for a whole console, but on the good side the price has dropped significantly since the repros are flowing

Brightyellow69rtse

if i had to do it again i would seriously consider the buddy seat option. the entrie console is just stupid expensive.  the auto console will actually sit right ontop of the hump. depends how correct you wanna be. personally i thought the auto one was easier to fit since it just sat on top of the hump. theres a 4 speed console in it now but it still needs the correct top plate. as it just has an auto plate with the hole cut out big enough to shift all the gears.  it also needs the driver side trim as its different than the auto.