News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What is the best muscle car ever?????!!!!!!!!!!

Started by scat pack fever, October 21, 2012, 07:23:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

6pkrtse

1963 Belvedere 413 Max Wedge
1970 Charger R/T S.E. 440 sixpack.
1970 Challenger R/T Drag Radial 528 Hemi
1970 Charger 500 S.E. 440 4 BBL
1970 Road Runner 383 4 BBL
1974 Chrysler New Yorker 440 4 BBL
1996 Dodge Ram 2500 V-10 488 cu in.
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD Dually 6x6
2012 Challenger R/T Classic

68charger383

1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

Evolution69

2nd gen Charger, First the 68, then the 69 and then 70
Matching numbers 1968 Dodge Charger RT

"Because bad guys always drove Chargers" - Richard Hammond

Mopar Nut

Hands down, the 69 Charger is the best muscle car ever! Always will be, always has been. Check the car wanted thread, the 69 Charger is wanted the most. Owned a 68 Charger and 70 Challenger then I moved up to first class and bought a 69 Charger.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

1974dodgecharger

JB400

mopar_man

Its hard to say what the best muscle car is, depends if you consider the look or what power plant it had . My interpretation of a muscle car is something that is automatically a muscle car. The Mustangs , Camaros, Chargers, etc all could be had with a six cylinder sewing machine motor . then depending on the badging , that would determine the power plant .  One muscle car that comes to mind for me is the AMX. No six bangers or mouse motors here , you knew what you were getting right out the door. And a decent looking little car too. There must be others . So my opinion is that Chargers, mustangs  Camaro etc. are not really muscle cars ..................only normal cars and some with lots of muscle . To mix the pile even more , I thnik the 68-70 Chargers are the best styled cars with the 71 GTX very very close . :Twocents: :shruggy:

1970Moparmann

For me....

1 - 1969 Daytona
2 - 1971 Cuda
3 - 1968-1970 Charger
4 - 1970 Superbird
5 - 1970 Challenger

:nana: :2thumbs:
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

Charger454

I'm gonna get badgered for this on a Charger site, but overall, I think it was the 1st gen Camaro's. I think it set the muscle car concept on fire, and has stood the test of time...hence the reason there are 1.50x10^3 of them in a 1 mile radious since day one.
I have no "sense of entitlement". I only deserve what I've got off my ass to earn!

jb666

Quote from: Charger454 on October 28, 2012, 11:12:13 AM
I'm gonna get badgered for this on a Charger site, but overall, I think it was the 1st gen Camaro's. I think it set the muscle car concept on fire, and has stood the test of time...hence the reason there are 1.50x10^3 of them in a 1 mile radious since day one.

Agreed. Although my personal favorite is still the split bumper Z... T'was my first car..  Gotta get another one some day..

scat pack fever

Quote from: Mopar Nut on October 28, 2012, 12:52:18 AM
Hands down, the 69 Charger is the best muscle car ever! Always will be, always has been. Check the car wanted thread, the 69 Charger is wanted the most. Owned a 68 Charger and 70 Challenger then I moved up to first class and bought a 69 Charger.

YES!!!!!!!!!!    :cheers:

hatersaurusrex

I will play Devil's advocate a little and say that you're probably right that to most people, something like a 69 Camaro is at the top of the stack.   That said, most people are drones with little taste.  How many guys do you meet that have any what they're actually talking about when it comes to old-school muscle?   Most are just pedestrians who want to act like they have a clue, but dont.    I'm pretty sure Toyota has sold more Camrys than the number of Muscle Cars ever built, but that doesn't mean they're better, it just means it's the lowest common denominator.

There are a few different categories of 'classic car enthusiasts' and the ones who never shut up aobut the Camaros and Mustangs are generally at the bottom of the pile as far as I'm concerned.   Camaros and Mustangs are the 'easy choice'.   It's the boilerplate dime-store car for the newly-rich middle aged narcissist.   If you tell a girl 'I've got a classic Mustang/Camaro' then she instantly knows what that is and your hot factor just went up.  If you tell the average know-nothing 'I've got a classic Mustant/Camaro' then they give you the know-nothing respect you deserve. It's a name, like Harley-Davidson (lots of way nicer bikes for half the price).   It's pre-packaged sex appeal that can be had for cheap.   If you tell the same person 'I have a Dart GTS' then you don't get the same reaction, because they have no clue what that is.    Only the 'Cuda seems to have any pull with the dull-eyed pedestrian 'expert'.

Mopar fandom is tougher.   We love the cars simply because we love the cars and that culture goes with it.  It's not a popularity contest, it's about raw power, and we're willing to take the warts.  Sure there are a few douchebags in any hobby, but I see them far more on the Chevy side, and to a lesser extent in the Ford camp.  Again, the Chevy/Ford guys have those dedicated purists, but it's diluted with douchebags in my opinion far more than you see in Mopar Land.

The Charger is a beautiful car, but let's face it - across the board GM made some damn nice looking cars too.    If that's what your'e into - style over substance - then Mopar is not for you.   If you want something that's big on balls and doesn't focus so much on the pretty face, then Mopar is for you.
[ŌŌ]ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ[ŌŌ] = 68
[ŌŌ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ŌŌ] = 69
(ŌŌ)[ƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗ](ŌŌ) = 70

1974dodgecharger

wholeheartly agree the mopar folks are a different breed we dont just love the cars just because others lilke them, but we love for what they are, period.

When I picked up a blank 440 block the son was there and father and I was talking about cars and he asked us, 'why are mopar guys always friendly to each, but you dont see that with chevy or ford' we told him because the cars were 'KINGS' back in the day they were the biggest, baddest, prettiest, etc.. cars around no one could hold a candle to a mopar and all the others were just jelous.

Quote from: hatersaurusrex on October 28, 2012, 09:40:59 PM

I will play Devil's advocate a little and say that you're probably right that to most people, something like a 69 Camaro is at the top of the stack.   That said, most people are drones with little taste.  How many guys do you meet that have any what they're actually talking about when it comes to old-school muscle?   Most are just pedestrians who want to act like they have a clue, but dont.    I'm pretty sure Toyota has sold more Camrys than the number of Muscle Cars ever built, but that doesn't mean they're better, it just means it's the lowest common denominator.

There are a few different categories of 'classic car enthusiasts' and the ones who never shut up aobut the Camaros and Mustangs are generally at the bottom of the pile as far as I'm concerned.   Camaros and Mustangs are the 'easy choice'.   It's the boilerplate dime-store car for the newly-rich middle aged narcissist.   If you tell a girl 'I've got a classic Mustang/Camaro' then she instantly knows what that is and your hot factor just went up.  If you tell the average know-nothing 'I've got a classic Mustant/Camaro' then they give you the know-nothing respect you deserve. It's a name, like Harley-Davidson (lots of way nicer bikes for half the price).   It's pre-packaged sex appeal that can be had for cheap.   If you tell the same person 'I have a Dart GTS' then you don't get the same reaction, because they have no clue what that is.    Only the 'Cuda seems to have any pull with the dull-eyed pedestrian 'expert'.

Mopar fandom is tougher.   We love the cars simply because we love the cars and that culture goes with it.  It's not a popularity contest, it's about raw power, and we're willing to take the warts.  Sure there are a few douchebags in any hobby, but I see them far more on the Chevy side, and to a lesser extent in the Ford camp.  Again, the Chevy/Ford guys have those dedicated purists, but it's diluted with douchebags in my opinion far more than you see in Mopar Land.

The Charger is a beautiful car, but let's face it - across the board GM made some damn nice looking cars too.    If that's what your'e into - style over substance - then Mopar is not for you.   If you want something that's big on balls and doesn't focus so much on the pretty face, then Mopar is for you.

Fred

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

G-man

67 GT Shelby 500 or the Ford Cobra (if that is even a muscle car...)

TheGhost

I disagree.  Mopar muscle has always looked better to me.

Nova?  The ugliest "muscle" car ever.
Chevelle?  Meh.  Lackluster styling at best.
Camaro?  I'll give you the first gen.  The others have never done anything for me.
El Camino?  Seriously?

Fairlane/Torino?  Good looking cars, yes, but not quite the level of a Charger or GTX
Mustang?  67-70 are damn good looking, especially the 69.  The others, not so much.

Pontiac?  Right up there with Mopar on styling.  Firebird has always beat the same year Camaro on styling.  66 GTO is the best damn looking car ever made by GM.

Buick/Olds?  Again, not bad looking, but not the best.

Styling is what got me into Mopar.  Performance is what got me hooked.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

Ghoste

Dino

I never got the whole be in this or be in that camp.  I don't care who made what car.  I like a car for what it is and don't really car what badge is on it.  I would still drive this Charger if it was a Ford or a Chevy.  Makes no difference to me.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Cooter

LOL! Exactly. Most I've seen in the Chevy croud seem "ok" till they get around a croud, then ofcourse, they know they Obviously are gonna have back-up when they "Bench Race" 'em, therefore the douchebag comments come out.

Mopar people know even in a croud, they are the minority, and most have nothing to prove anyway...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Fred

Quote from: TheGhost on October 29, 2012, 07:35:04 AM
Styling is what got me into Mopar.  Performance is what got me hooked.

You took the words right out of my mouth!   :2thumbs:

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

scat pack fever

Chrysler had a better variety of body styles, better colors, better interiors and the best engines. Mopar all the way.

Mopar Nut

Quote from: scat pack fever on October 30, 2012, 08:17:29 PM
Chrysler had a better variety of body styles, better colors, better interiors and the best engines. Mopar all the way.
You forgot one, Chrysler has educated consumers.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

1BAD68

68 Charger is the king.
I owned a 70 and it just looked kind of bulky to me but the 68 is such a well balanced beautiful design from every angle.
I'm a fan of other makes especially the Mach 1 Mustangs but the interiors kill it for me. The Mopar interior's just suit me, simple, functional and roomy.

ChargerSG

1969 Dodge Charger, cause it got everything power, style and handling and.. and... and....and in all vote things it allways win and thats a fact. Sure i like the fastback 1969 Mustang with a Cobra but i would never buy one.

I remember going to this Mustangs at the strip that i drove my lady to(her 65 Mustang broke down) in my 69 SE Charger(rip) and even there was Firebirds and Camaro racing they told you cant drive that down the strip, thats a "katt bland hermelinerna(Swedish expression, mens a cat among the ermines)" and i just had a 69 SE with 383 stock Magnum and 4.10 in the rear. Mayby just Sweden but that says everything :icon_smile_big: And just for the hell of it i drove there in my 1970 RT/SE Challenger with a 440 Magnum the year after(they changed the name to Ponycars at the strip) and got the same answear :yesnod: I rest my case...
Looking for 383 Magnum #0B196875 and 0B115166