News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

'68 R/T (what a crying shame!)

Started by 71_Charger_R/T, October 18, 2012, 05:05:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

71_Charger_R/T

Last weekend, my brother and I went to retrieve my father's two Chrysler Air Flows out of the woods (1935 & 1937) These cars have been stored on a friends property for many many years and have suffered the ravages of time. Well, suffering in the same way right next to the two Flows was this......

This was our friends old car (he still owns it) stored on his mother's property. She commented that he still owns EVERY car he's ever had (literally). She would like to get them out of her yard and I would certainly be happy to oblige removing this one from her hair, but her son would never part with the car (we've asked to buy it a few times.) He's gonna fix it up someday.  :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: This car was beautiful in it's day but sadly is turning to soil underneath. what's left is arrow straight but disappearing fast. It was a 440 4 speed.

68X426

The paint actually looks decent, it'll buff up fine as is. ....... maybe.

What a shame. Thanks for posting.  :icon_smile_cool:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Dans 68

That is a damn shame.  :icon_smile_angry:  Grab the vin (and more photos) if you get the chance. White interior QQ-1? Probably a beauty back in the day.

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

71_Charger_R/T

It is! Whats left would buff up and look fantastic...... you'd just have to ignore the lack of rockers, floor boards, frame rails and lower quarters.
Sorry, My photobucket is screwing up and posting duplicates..... here's the 4th one I meant to post

hatersaurusrex

Do what my bro did, a guy down the road from him had a '70 bee sitting out in the weather and my bro went and offered to store it for him free of charge in his barn.    Hopefully after a while the guy will break down and sell it to him :)
[ŌŌ]ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ[ŌŌ] = 68
[ŌŌ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ŌŌ] = 69
(ŌŌ)[ƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗ](ŌŌ) = 70

Indygenerallee

Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Ghoste

Have you tried to explain to him that Charger ownership is a very special privilege and if he is unwilling to meet the obligations of ownership he will be shunned by us all here at Charger.com?  Tell him about the shame of being an outcast and how we will never acknowledge his presence or even his very existence.  Worse than dead to us, he will be as though he never was.

ACUDANUT

There ought to be a law against classic cars being neglected and left outside to rot.

Ghoste

There are, plenty of them.  Unfortunately most of those same laws also require having said cars hauled off and crushed.

Mytur Binsdirti

The hobby needs parts cars and not every parts car should be "restored".

Ghoste

That by no means should advocate the notion of allowing a four speed RT to rust itself into parts car-ness.

Tilar

Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

Brass

Unbelievable.  :o If he can't take even minimal effort to keep the car from literally rotting into the ground, he is beyond deluded to believe he's going to restore it someday.  This is a good example of where even a flipper's intervention would be welcome.  At least then there would be some chance of it eventually finding its way into better hands.

JB400

Sad really.  I guess it ain't much different watching one get destroyed in seconds compared to watching one destroyed in years.  How about doing the Charger world a favor and get him on here.  Let us show him how much fun these cars are and maybe he'll want to fix it up a little bit sooner.  No sense in letting one bite the dust.

skip68

I fully agree with Brass on the flipper coment.....and I hate most flippers.   :yesnod:
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

bakerhillpins

:'( :'( :'(

That is the car of my dreams... Minus the vinyl top of course.  QQ1, white interior, 4spd.  UGH.  :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

Dans 68

Quote from: bakerhillpins on October 18, 2012, 08:03:55 PM
:'( :'( :'(

That is the car of my dreams... Minus the vinyl top of course.  QQ1, white interior, 4spd.  UGH.  :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:

Mine also, except it has a Hemi.... :laugh: 

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

hatersaurusrex

If only someone would start a Charger rescue like they have animal rescues...  Sarah McLachlan could sing over the top of a commercial showing poor rusted out Chargers and beg people to donate money... "For just the price of a cup of coffee, you can make sure this adorable B-Body gets it's own gas, paint, and shelter... and you'll know you made a difference"
[ŌŌ]ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ[ŌŌ] = 68
[ŌŌ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ŌŌ] = 69
(ŌŌ)[ƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗ](ŌŌ) = 70

68X426

Very funny .... and smart, at the same time. Good one, Hater.  :2thumbs:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

stripedelete

71_Charger_R/T

I'll get some of the Flows..... they're all on my brothers camera. All I had was my phone.

bull

TUFCAT

This notion of "I want restore the car someday" absolutely kills me!

These people don't realize the months and years left rotting have cost them THOUSANDS of dollars (if they actually wanted to achieve the dream of restoration). :eek2:

Sure, they might THINK they still have hopes and dreams to restore a car, but reality is - they don't - and never had.  They never had the money, time, experience, or dedication. That's why it was left sitting for dead because they won't sell it.  These people would rather destroy something of value, rather than let it go.

If I had something of value I would never let it rot. Plain and simple.  

Surf Charger

Am I the only one here that thinks that thing is in really good shape? I dont' see any surface rust considering its been outside for so long. Floor pans don't look terrible. Geez you guys need to go make an offer to retrieve it.

Mike DC

I would go at it like this:

Step #1 - Bring an AMD catalog.  Start showing the owner how much money it will take to buy parts for that resto.  A minute or two of this will go a long way but too much will just insult & piss him off. 

Setp#2 -  Then start offering him a pile of CASH.  Use 20's so the pile looks bigger.  Don't promise an amount, don't talk trades, and don't offer to write a big check.  Put cash in front of his eyes.