News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Electroluminescent Work in Progress

Started by gibber, October 15, 2012, 01:13:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gibber

A383Wing (Bryan) sent me a bunch of shift indicator EL plates for 66 Chargers. All of them were unrepairable (EL layer cracked) but these shift indicator plates take a beating in the console, so it is to be expected that many of them are unrepairable. I went online and found a company (Coolwire) that sells EL tape. I bought 8 pieces and decided to try and use it to make the EL shift indicator work again. I removed the overlay (decal), and positioned the EL tape over the old EL, hooked it up to the powerpack, and voila, EL shift indicator repaired! All I need to do is use some contact cement to attach the new EL tape to the housing, and then glue the decal back on top, hook up the positive and negative connections as they were originally and I have usable EL pieces...for that matter these EL sheets and tape can be used to make anything you wanted on the interior EL...might have stumbled upon a new business.....if you are interested in getting your second or third gen Charger to light up light like the first gens using EL lighting, just let me know, I can use the first gen powerpacks or Coolwire sells other packs that run off of 12VDC....comes in other colors than the standard blue green as well......

Mark
www.thegaugedoc.com
Mark Gibson
1966 and 67 Charger, 1968 D200 Pickup
Mopar Gauge Troubles? I can help!
www.thegaugedoc.com

Ghoste

Bob T

Nice one, the shifter looks great  :2thumbs:
I installed a high output blue LED under mine, but yours takes the cake with output and balanced radiance  :icon_smile_big:
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

plum500

A383Wing

now I want a 2nd generation Charger dash to light up as the 66-67 style

Bryan

gibber

Mark Gibson
www.thegaugedoc.com

WHITE AND RED 69

Quote from: gibber on October 16, 2012, 10:52:10 PM
It can be done...:)

Mark :yesnod: :yesnod:

Just curious, what do you think you would charge to do a 2nd gen? This is something I would be interested in.   :cheers:
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

Dino

Quote from: WHITE AND RED 69 on October 17, 2012, 12:37:38 PM
Quote from: gibber on October 16, 2012, 10:52:10 PM
It can be done...:)

Mark :yesnod: :yesnod:

Just curious, what do you think you would charge to do a 2nd gen? This is something I would be interested in.   :cheers:

Um yeah...what he said!   :icon_smile_big:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

A383Wing

bakerhillpins

3M makes a roll product that is essentially adhesive on wax paper that you can use to "make" stickers. I have a big roll in the basement and I use it to repair decals that go on the bottom of the plastic ramps used in pinball machines. Use something like goo gone to remove the old and no longer sticky adhesive and then use the 3M stuff to make it a sticker again. Then attach to the bottom of the ramp.

I can dig the stuff out and see if it has a part # on it if you are interested. I could even send you a foot or 2 to try.

Let me know.
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

gibber

Sorry I didn't respond to this post earlier....I would figure you could do an entire EL lighting setup for a second or third gen for less than 400 bucks, including parts and labor, and that would include an EL powerpack to run it off of 12V DC...

Mark
Mark Gibson
www.thegaugedoc.com

WHITE AND RED 69

How much just for the console shifter light?
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

mauve66

Mark, mines in the mail, est delivery date, tomorrow, 7th, don't let these guys sidetrack you now............................... :2thumbs:
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

Dino

Less than $400 for all of it?  I am definitely interested in that.  Does anyone have one of these setups already?  Would love to see it.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

gibber

Robert, check received, your FedEx package will get dropped off today for shipping tomorrow (Mon). I have not done anyone's 2nd or third gen Charger lighting yet. So you'd be the first Dino...:)

Mark

Mark Gibson
www.thegaugedoc.com

mauve66

Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
alignment

gibber

Robert,

Brent and Brian make those up as folks need them, so I just called and they said to call them on the number listed on their website. They would be happy to make you up a set......

Mark
Mark Gibson
www.thegaugedoc.com

gibber

First paying customer, a restoration shop in Ohio. EL layer cracked on this 66 Charger shift indicator panel....so some EL tape and contact cement and good as new...

95.00 plus 10.00 shipping...

Mark
Mark Gibson
www.thegaugedoc.com

mauve66

10-4, got your message, will be looking for the package and calling for the buttons tomorrow, thanks again
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
alignment

GPULLER

Quote from: gibber on November 12, 2012, 06:57:36 PM
First paying customer, a restoration shop in Ohio. EL layer cracked on this 66 Charger shift indicator panel....so some EL tape and contact cement and good as new...

95.00 plus 10.00 shipping...

Mark

Looks great Mark!

266mopars

Do you think it would work on the dash lights ? I have a electrical nightmare going on in my dash and gauges.[NOTHING  WORKS} I have aftermarket gauges but it would be nice to see the speedometer at night.Can not really afford to redo the whole cluster, power pack, etc.Do you think this would be a possible if you put the tape on the back side of gauge face  ? Thanks for any advice

Nacho-RT74

making a search about EL Powerpacks on google just found this... HOW TEMPTING is make this on my 3rd gen... if just I have the money!!! is not just the quote, but the two ways shipping from overseas!

but... wondering about the needle.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html