News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Had H-Pipe installed, mufflers quieter... Normal?

Started by MoparMotel, October 10, 2012, 09:19:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MoparMotel

I've got 2.25" true duals off factory HP manifolds with flowmaster original 40 series. Before I had pipes all the way out the back with factory turn downs right under the rear bumper/valance. I took the car to the exhaust shop Friday and had them install an H pipe and a set of factory mopar tips and hangers I got from year one.

I could tell immediately as soon as I started the car that the exhaust seemed quieter and more mellow. Before the H pipe these 40 series were retarded loud and echoed inside the cab horrible, but after the H they aren't nearly as loud inside the cab.

I'm definitely not complaining as I like the quieter mellow sound it has but I'm just wondering if this is normal since I don't have turn downs and the exhaust can flow side to side now?
1968 Dodge Charger

Chryco Psycho

Yes that is normal , less pressure through one muffler as it can balance so the sound is less

68X426

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on October 10, 2012, 10:23:13 PM
Yes that is normal

Agreed x2.

From Jegs website:

"X-pipe and H-pipes synchronize the balance of the exhaust pulses from each bank of cylinders based on firing order which increases velocity and scavenging from each cylinder. Most people agree that X-pipes are better at improving performance than H-pipes, especially at the top end. However, H-pipes tend to have a deeper sound than x-pipe equipped vehicles and generally build power down low."

From Flowmaster site:

"Flowmaster strongly recommends using a crossover tube, otherwise known as an "H" pipe or balance pipe on all true dual exhaust systems. The crossover pipe equalizes the exhaust pulses and allows the sounds waves to communicate between both banks of the engine. Not only does this usually improve torque in the low to mid rpm range, it also creates a deeper mellower tone both inside and outside of the vehicle and helps eliminate "back-rap" on deceleration."

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Cooter

No "H"/"X" pipe? Sounds like typical Bullsh*t glasspack when revved up and let off.

With "H"/"X" pipe? Sounds like a Ninja Motorcycle on steroids.

Any 90* V8 will always have one cylinder per side that is always fighting for flow. This is why these pipes are sometimes called "Balance" pipes.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

bill440rt

If you want to REALLY eliminate the drone, install some resonators out back as well.
I thought my head was going to explode at cruising speed with the Flowbastards, & that's with an H-pipe also. Put some Magnaflow resonators in (tipped from Just6T9, thx Chris!). Not only does it still sound bad ass at idle, but at cruising speed the drone is gone completely. No notable power loss, either.
:Twocents:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Brightyellow69rtse

or get ultraflows. sound superbadass when you stomp on it and wont run you outta the car cruise speeds.

bill440rt

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

MoparMotel

I've been looking at different mufflers online and also listening to sound clips on you tube. I had Dynomax Super Turbo's on the car and took them off because they were too quiet. I like the sound level of the flowmaster 40 series I have on here just looking for something that will still have that amount of sound just a deeper less "tinny metal" sound. So far I like the Ultra Flows or Aero Turbine's.
1968 Dodge Charger