News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

727 Tranny

Started by jflazlo, October 07, 2012, 06:56:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jflazlo

Shift linkage not working on my 727 tranny.  Any suggestions on how to fix? And how do I get to it?

JB400

Did you try readjusting it?  Or do you have the wrong one entirely?

jflazlo

I just got the car and realized it was in park as we pushed it into my garage.  The gas tank has a hole in it so I cant start it, but the guy who sold it to me didn't tell me the shift linkage was not working.  I haven't look at it yet and really don't know if I have to pull the tranny to see it or can I get to it with the car on a lift?
I am new to these things and am trying to learn as much as I can so I can take care of the car for a long time.

bill440rt

What year? Column or floor shift?
Can you better describe "not working"??
Oh yeah, PICS!!!!!!!!!!!!  ;)
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

bill440rt

Just saw your reply.
Did you try moving the shifter after putting the key to the "on" position??  :scratchchin:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

John_Kunkel

If it's a '70 or later the shifter is locked in Park until the key is turned; if you don't have the key and need to move the car, the shift rod can be disconnected at the base of the steering column inside the engine bay.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

jflazlo

Hey sorry, the car is a 69 charger shift on the floor with a 71 Chrysler 300's 440 HP and 727 tranny. The  guy i bought it from said  the shifter was a little sloppy but to be able to push it while in park is a little more than sloppy. I have not tried turning the key and putting in park, I will give it a try this week. I tried posting a pic but it didn't take.
Thanx for all the suggestions and I'll keep u posted. Also can I get to the shift linkage without dropping the tranny?

John_Kunkel

There are a couple of plastic bushings in the console shift linkage, they are known to wallow out or fall out which makes the linkage real sloppy. The bushings are still available from the dealer.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

jflazlo

I took the top consol plate and was able to get it into park..will have to look at the placement of the plate with
P R N D 1 2 and see if it was too back