News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Windshield installer no house calls

Started by HeavyFuel, October 03, 2012, 03:58:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HeavyFuel

The guy that was recomended won't come to my place to do it.

He wants it in his shop, and quizzed me up and down about  'Why can't you bring it in?   No motor?  Where is the motor?"  wtf.  

I thought they did house calls all the time.  What do they have to bring over?  A few supplies one man can carry.

Is this unusual?

I've decided to put the thing in myself, rather than trailer it to this guy.......if I can do the vinyl top and the headliner, the glass is next, I guess.

JB400

HeavyFuel

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on October 03, 2012, 04:00:33 PM
It ain't hard if you know how.

It doesn't look that hard if you don't know how.

But I've screwed up simpler things.... :rotz:

moparguy01

ive had that issue on older cars, because the owner wants to do them himself to insure they dont get scratched or messed up. and usually the owners won't go on a house call.

Indygenerallee

If I were close I would come do it for free. I have all the equipment to do it. my buddy worked for Safelite autoglass and I got all his old equipment!! There is no reason they cannot come to your house. Safelite does house calls give them a call.
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Indygenerallee

Also it sounds like they want it at their place in case they FUBAR something good your not standing right there and they can half ass it  :Twocents:

HeavyFuel

I'm not in the middle of nowhere, but I can see it from here.

We don't have Safelite.

HeavyFuel

Quote from: Indygenerallee on October 03, 2012, 04:08:58 PM
Also it sounds like they want it at their place in case they FUBAR something good your not standing right there and they can half ass it  :Twocents:

Ohhhh.....if it does go somewhere for the install, I'll be right there.   :yesnod:  That thing is never gonna be in the hands of anyone else again, without me there.

JB400

Warm up your weatherstrip in the sun or in front of a heater. Then, put it on the windsheild.  After that, put a piece of rope all the way around your window in the channel.  I've never used sealant, but now is to put it on if you want on the window opening.  Then you and a buddy insert the window in the opening, and pull the rope out carefully. Install your trim and your good to go.  If you use sealant, wait a few days and then run your car through an automatic car wash and see if it leaks.

Fred

Yeah run it through a car wash....................then go and get a new paint job. :nono:
A garden hose will be just as effective to test if it leaks.

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

Yeah, I cringed too at the auto car wash suggestion. I always hand wash no matter what. My wife had the paint on her car damaged from a malfunction, they offered to fix it. They hand cut it and now you can see how thin the paint is on the edges  :rotz:

Fred

Fixing is exactly that.............It's a far cry from original.

JB400

Sounds like your car wash owners don't know how to adjust pressure.  If that's the case, then water hose would work fine.

Fred

We're talking about car washes with brushes etc that do damage to the duco.

I wouldn't go near any carwash with any car  ever  full stop !

JB400

Quote from: Fred on October 04, 2012, 12:47:00 AM

I wouldn't go near any carwash with any car  ever  full stop !
We don't have those here, Nothing but water, soap, and pressure.

Fred

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on October 04, 2012, 01:01:00 AM
Quote from: Fred on October 04, 2012, 12:47:00 AM

I wouldn't go near any carwash with any car  ever  full stop !
We don't have those here, Nothing but water, soap, and pressure.

That's interesting, still have plenty of them over here. I guess because they're more convenient and there's no elbow grease needed. Just sit back and enjoy the drive through lol.
Either way though, I still would go near them.

bill440rt

Highly unusual a glass installer won't come to do it. Most are mobile, frequenting body shops & dealerships all the time. Only thing I can think of is perhaps he is unfamiliar with older cars & doesn't want to make a screw up at your place.
Sounds like either find another reputable glass installer, or do it yourself unfortunately.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

41husk

Quote from: bill440rt on October 04, 2012, 06:29:41 AM
Highly unusual a glass installer won't come to do it. Most are mobile, frequenting body shops & dealerships all the time. Only thing I can think of is perhaps he is unfamiliar with older cars & doesn't want to make a screw up at your place.
Sounds like either find another reputable glass installer, or do it yourself unfortunately.

Most glass shops will come to you in my area.  Infact I think all the shops that didn't are no longer in business in my town :shruggy:  I would call around if you just don't want to tackle it with some friends.  I guaranty a 18 pack of beer for a friend that has done this before will be cheaper than any glass co. Just remmember, the beer is consumed after the window is installed :smilielol:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

HeavyFuel

This guy is like 60ish and the owner of the company, does most of the important installs himself, I'm guessing.  Been at it for about 30 years, puts him ALMOST into the right era.  Nice dude from what I'm told, but his policy on having it in his shop might be a result of just having more work than he can handle.  He can afford to be choosy.

I've looked at many of the postings here about how to install... lots of good info.....so I'll do it myself.

One big question:  Where do I purchase a Pilkington windshield?   Finding a retailer has got me beat so far. 

The local glass shops I talk to just kinda blow me off about the manufacturer, they're like, "It's all made in China or Mexico, who cares who makes it?"

I know the thickness matters in regards to how well the glass will fit into the gasket.

paironines

These windows need sealant in the glass channel and between the gasket and frame. Most glass guys don't do this and they leak big time.     Put sealant on the window frame, then put gasket on window frame, then put sealant in gasket glass channel, then glass into the gasket and lock rubber strip in.  Very easy this way. I got my Pilkington from local glass guy who initially put it in wrong.

Indygenerallee

QuoteThese windows need sealant in the glass channel and between the gasket and frame. Most glass guys don't do this and they leak big time.     Put sealant on the window frame, then put gasket on window frame, then put sealant in gasket glass channel, then glass into the gasket and lock rubber strip in.  Very easy this way. I got my Pilkington from local glass guy who initially put it in wrong
This is exactly right. Far too many people think you put them in dry and they will leak like a mother also don't use silicone it does not adhere to the rubber and will leak also.

68charger hp383

When we did ours we didn't want to mess it up so we called the glass place in town and they got to our place with in 30 mins and got it done with know problom
Forget dogs chargers are mans best friend

Indygenerallee

Dow U-418 is what you want to use on the rubber, primerless to auto glass urethane adhesive.

oldgold69

seal the rubber between the body and rubber  with butyl      seal the glass with butyl too   urethane seals  too hard once its dry if you have a leak  it will be a pain to fix   youll have to wreck the rubber   butyl is flexible and moves with the body  if you install the windshield  rubber with the rope make sure the rubber is completly seated  in the bottom channel and sealed  use dish soap on the sides and top of the insides of the rubber it helps it slide over the pinchwelt

bull

Don't many of these glass guys have mobile service?