News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Re: NHC's 68 Charger resto/thrash-update- it's alive

Started by NHCharger, September 30, 2012, 08:53:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RIDELIKEHELL

Quote from: NHCharger on February 03, 2013, 07:32:14 PM
Quote from: RIDELIKEHELL on February 03, 2013, 07:29:10 PM
awesome job thanks for the update... really liking the color

RLH. I have pictures of your resto scattered through out my shop. Been using them for a reference guide. :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

:cheers:
AMD POSTER BOY

1968 CHARGER R/T  http://www.youtube.com/user/ridelikehell73

NHCharger

The color is a Pontiac color Voodoo Blue.
The original interior was green like the rest of the car. The interior that came with the car is black. Most of it is new or very nice used pieces. I only needed to buy the carpet and some odds and ends.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

bakerhillpins

Quote from: NHCharger on February 03, 2013, 07:29:11 PM
Against Bakerhillpins advice I am converting the car to non-A/C. I only cruise and drive with the windows down and the non A/C units are much easier to deal with. I did find one bad spot in the frame when I removed the steering box. An amateur attempt was made to fix it. I'm going to cut it out and do it right.

Well, at least I got you to paint it a cool color. :icon_smile_big:

Yea, I'd say that was a bit amateur. I could do better and I have never welded before.

Lookin superb Brian :2thumbs:  Can't wait to see it in person.
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

NHCharger

Well, it's blue. What an effing thrash this has been.
My painter was supposed to paint the car in my shop on Saturday, April 13. I was taking Thursday and Friday off to prep the car. Had to wet sand with 600 since the epoxy had been on it since October. then wash the car, tape it, build a temp paint booth, etc...
So I called my painter on Monday, April 8 to confirm,his response "ohh it was THIS Saturday, sorry can't do it, have to reschedule"  ::) ,at this point I said f*ck it, I've done everything else myself, why not the paint.
So I built a paint booth and built a box to surround the commercial fan I had in the window to create a downdraft booth. In theory this should have worked pretty good.
Problem I had was the weather. I ran the heat non stop in the shop, the commercial fan sucked a lot of heat out of the shop. The outside temp when I was painting was 38ยบ and spitting snow. I wet the floor down the keep the dust down, by the time I finished wetting the paint booth floor, the other end was already dry.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

NHCharger

Painted the engine bay earlier in the week. No fancy paint booth, came out great, no dirt or shit in the paint.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

NHCharger

Now into the fun stuff. Wet sanding. Have got the doors, hood, trunk lid, and fenders wet sanded. Just started hitting them with the compound. The fender is done except for hitting it with the polishing compound.
Wet sanding requires some zen and beer.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

73rallye440magnum

Nicely done. Excellent choice with the 3M buffing system... What paint system did you use?
WTB- 68 or 69 project

Past- '73 Rallye U code, '69 Coronet 500 vert, '68 Roadrunner clone, XP29H8, XP29G8, XH29G0

bill440rt

Your "makeshift" spray booth is better than MANY I've seen out there!  :2thumbs:

Kudos to you, that looks like it came out FANTASTIC!  :drool5:
Nice choice of color, that's gonna look killer.  :cheers:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

JB400

Looks great.  Great job :2thumbs:  Hope mine turns out that well :cheers: :popcrn:

resq302

Brian,

Looking really good!  Keep up the great work!
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Rosco

"She needs premium, Dude! PREMIUM!!"

Cooter

Looks awesome Brian. Very well done indeed. Painting and buffing is NOT for the faint of heart. Keep on keepin' on.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

billfury

:o WOW..That Chargers awesome.Nice work and love that home made paint booth.You don't realize how much car is there till you start wet sanding  :eek2:.Good luck

bakerhillpins

Brian,

Great to see an update on your progress.  Lookin sweet.  :drool5: :drool5:  Nice choice of beer, blueberry,   :smilielol:  , I think you may have just found a name for her.   :icon_smile_big: 

I am here for ya if you need a hand just drop a line.   :yesnod:

One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

projectanimal

Looks amazing!!   :drool5: :2thumbs:
And of course it's going smooth with the help of sea dog beer!  Good choice. :cheers:
northwest CT

lexxman

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

NHCharger

After torturing me for 2 1/2 years in my shop the paint and body work is complete, except for some hand glazing and a little tweak here and there.I can finally work on putting her back together.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

JB400

I'm trying not to drool, but I can't help it

:drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5:

Looks good :2thumbs:

fy469rtse

:popcrn:keep posting , photo's are great great work been done here

bill440rt

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

TPR

1968 Dodge Charger R/T 440 - UU1 Light Blue Metallic
www.tr440.com

Back N Black