News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

71 Charger 440 header suggestions...

Started by 1carcrazyguy, September 30, 2012, 03:29:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1carcrazyguy

I am needing to order headers for the 71 Charger.   This is a 9.5:1 forged piston, 440 bored to 4.351 with 452 iron heads (88cc chambers with 2.14/1.81 valves), Comp cam 274xe hyd cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake and 800 Edelbrock carb.  Any suggestions on brand?  1 3/4 or 1 7/8? 

NHCharger

If you do a search on the site it seems that the TTI headers are the best fit with minimal amount of pounding the snot out of the headers to clear other items in the engine bay. You might also want to get a mini starter. Supposedly a starter from an early 90's Dakota will work just as well.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Budnicks

TTI's are great, so Are Schumacher Creative Services www.engine-swap.com, both fit great & neither are cheap....
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

Chryco Psycho

justcruisin

I have had friends fit the TTI headers and they are the pick for sure. I fitted some 1 7/8 hookers to my 71 charger 440, only because I had them for some time but never fitted them. I have eddy heads and I wouldn't recommend them with alloy heads, they need clearancing for the angle plugs and also they need a ding for the power steer with the eddy's. In saying that I think with the stock heads they would fit well, all other clearances were great. At those power levels the 1 3/4 pipes will be fine but if it was me I'd go with the 1 7/8 to take advantage of the inevitable upgrades. Ceramic coating is a must, IMO.

Ghoste

I don't think the other brands fit any better with the Edelbrock heads though do they?