News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Will a v8 bolt to a slant 6 standard tranny?

Started by skip68, September 30, 2012, 10:21:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skip68

Just wondering if slant six bell housing for a 3 or 4 speed will bolt up to a v8.  I know nothing about six cylinder motors and tranny's or what they can be interchanged with.  Thanks.  
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Chryco Psycho

nope , the starter sits far higher on the left side to start, bolt pattern is totally different , the trans will work with a correct belhousing

skip68

OK thanks.   :cheers: 
So basically I'd need a new bell housing.
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Chryco Psycho

it would seem so , the trans doesn't seem to stay in place very well just hanging on the pilot bushing LOL

skip68

skip68

So then a 4spd tranny is the same tranny whether it's behind a slant 6 or a 440.   :shruggy:

JB400

I don't think so. I'm thinking there is a trans for the /6 and small blocks, and another one for the big blocks.

Chryco Psycho

there are differences , 23 spline vs 18 spline , different ratios but they will work

Cooter

Depends on whether it's an Overdrive 4-speed Manual. NO BIG BLOCK bellhousings for OD trans from 6 CYl. OR SB.

Must custom make the OD trans fit BB Engine.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Chryco Psycho

actually no big deal just remove the front brg retainer & put it into a lathe & trim it down to 4.80 " , I have lost count of how many I have done this to .