News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Track report

Started by firefighter3931, September 27, 2012, 11:02:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

firefighter3931

Had the Black Pig out at Norwalk Raceway for the Mopar event and had a great time.  :2thumbs:

Hung out with Doug (R2) Kevin (Blown68) and Randy (Labrat) for most of the w/e....it was great seeing those guys again.  :cheers:

Scaled the Charger and it came in at 4230lbs with a full tank of gas and me in the seat. Still experimenting with different launch techniques but did manage to get the 60ft down to 1.55 and that was a huge improvement over last year. The 572 is a beast and stabbing the pedal off idle just results in lots of tire smoke....even with the cal-tracs and 295 Drag radials.  :icon_smile_blackeye:

The good news is that the car finally recorded it's first 10 second pass....albeit, just barely. It ran a 10.99 @121.5mph so there's still room for improvement.  :yesnod:

I'm going to keep working at it and look at a few things  :scope: and hopefully improve the MPH as well as lowering the ET  :icon_smile_big:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Ghoste

Hey great news Ron, congratluations!

68X426

Awesome results. Get 1099 tatooed on something now. Wow. :2thumbs:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

BBKNARF

For that weight, that's great Ron  :2thumbs: I'm hopping in 2-3 weeks I like to take mine to the track to test the new converter.

Frank
68 Charger, slowly in the works, 451 c.i. approx. 535 hp @ the flywheel, so far best time in the 1/4
11.21 @ 119 mph, full exhaust, stock suspension, 4:10s @ 3640 pounds.

SRT-440

That's great news...sounds like you had fun!!  :2thumbs:
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog..."

2012 SRT8 392 Challenger (SOLD)
2004 Dodge Stage 1 SRT-4 (SOLD)
1970 Plymouth Road Runner Clone w/6.1 HEMI (SOLD)
1971 Dodge Dart w/440 (SOLD)
1985 Buick Grand National w/'87 swap and big turbo (SOLD)

firefighter3931

Quote from: BBKNARF on September 27, 2012, 11:44:13 AM
For that weight, that's great Ron  :2thumbs: I'm hopping in 2-3 weeks I like to take mine to the track to test the new converter.

Frank

You're gonna luv that Dynamic 9.5....my old 440 sure did. I'd expect some big improvement in the short times and better ET's. Geez Frank.....your raceweight is almost 600lbs lighter tham mine.  :2thumbs: I'd luv to have your weight and this motor !  :icon_smile_big:

Thanks to the other posters....yep it was fun and i'm far from done tweaking this combo.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

cdr

what is making your car so dang heavy?
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

rt green

third string oil changer

BSB67

Quote from: firefighter3931 on September 27, 2012, 11:02:38 AM
Had the Black Pig out at Norwalk Raceway for the Mopar event and had a great time.  :2thumbs:

Hung out with Doug (R2) Kevin (Blown68) and Randy (Labrat) for most of the w/e....it was great seeing those guys again.  :cheers:

Scaled the Charger and it came in at 4230lbs with a full tank of gas and me in the seat. Still experimenting with different launch techniques but did manage to get the 60ft down to 1.55 and that was a huge improvement over last year. The 572 is a beast and stabbing the pedal off idle just results in lots of tire smoke....even with the cal-tracs and 295 Drag radials.  :icon_smile_blackeye:

The good news is that the car finally recorded it's first 10 second pass....albeit, just barely. It ran a 10.99 @121.5mph so there's still room for improvement.  :yesnod:

I'm going to keep working at it and look at a few things  :scope: and hopefully improve the MPH as well as lowering the ET  :icon_smile_big:

Ron

NICE!   :2thumbs:

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

Fred

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

firefighter3931

Quote from: cdr on September 27, 2012, 04:13:52 PM

It's all there ;

-stock seats
-sound deadener
-heater box
-radio
-power steering
-wipers
-full exhaust with heavy ass x-pipe
-8pt mild steel rollbar
-factory fuel tank
-World iron megablock that weighs 300lbs (bare) even at 4.50 bore
-truck Dana that weighs in ~ 300lbs

Plans are to relocate the battery to the trunk for better weight transfer and replace the power steering with a manual box. These 2 changes will take 100lbs off the nose and put 50lbs out back. A glass hood would be worth another 50lbs and the added benefit of some fresh air.  :2thumbs:

A fuel cell is also planned so i don't have to run around with a full tank of gas which should yield another 100lbs or so in weight savings. I'm not happy with the fuel system and think it might be holding the car back. I need to install an in cabin fuel pressure guage to see what it's doing down track.  :scratchchin:

The way the fuel system is plumbed is nowhere near ideal and i suspect fuel delivery is an issue on the big end.

Ron

Chryco Psycho

cdr

Quote from: firefighter3931 on September 27, 2012, 08:53:00 PM
Quote from: cdr on September 27, 2012, 04:13:52 PM

It's all there ;

-stock seats
-sound deadener
-heater box
-radio
-power steering
-wipers
-full exhaust with heavy ass x-pipe
-8pt mild steel rollbar
-factory fuel tank
-World iron megablock that weighs 300lbs (bare) even at 4.50 bore
-truck Dana that weighs in ~ 300lbs

Plans are to relocate the battery to the trunk for better weight transfer and replace the power steering with a manual box. These 2 changes will take 100lbs off the nose and put 50lbs out back. A glass hood would be worth another 50lbs and the added benefit of some fresh air.  :2thumbs:

A fuel cell is also planned so i don't have to run around with a full tank of gas which should yield another 100lbs or so in weight savings. I'm not happy with the fuel system and think it might be holding the car back. I need to install an in cabin fuel pressure guage to see what it's doing down track.  :scratchchin:

The way the fuel system is plumbed is nowhere near ideal and i suspect fuel delivery is an issue on the big end.

Ron

wow, i'm in trouble , i was thinkin mine would be about 3700,but at least i am lite lol  . really like your car
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver

Indygenerallee

N...I....C.....E......!!!!!!!!!! :o :drool5: :cheers:
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Ghoste

Ron also said with him in the seat and he isn't exactly sized like a ballerina.  ;)

metalstorm440

Keep up the good work,that was a good weekend.

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

oldschool

thats awesome ron. i'm glad to hear that things are going in the right direction for ya. :2thumbs: what are you thinking about doing with the fuel system?
1968 cuda formula S bb 4-sp                          1968 Charger R/T 500" 4-sp
1970 Charger 580" 4-sp
1970 Cuda Convertible 500" 4-sp
1970 Cuda Convertible 500" 4-sp
TOO MUCH HORSEPOWER, IS ALMOST ENOUGH!

Brightyellow69rtse

badass Ron! spin em up for me next time buddy!

firefighter3931

Quote from: Ghoste on September 28, 2012, 05:41:45 AM
Ron also said with him in the seat and he isn't exactly sized like a ballerina.  ;)

:lol: true that ! You don't see too many 6'1" 250lb Ballerina's these days....LMAO

Quote from: oldschool on September 28, 2012, 07:16:40 PM
thats awesome ron. i'm glad to hear that things are going in the right direction for ya. :2thumbs: what are you thinking about doing with the fuel system?

Brian, i'm planning to install a fuel cell with the pump mounted right beside it. Currently i have a stock gas tank with a sump and the fuel pump is mounted in front of the gas tank and up in the shock tower area. Fuel has to travel 4ft and up to the pump which is not ideal. Electric fuel pumps are supposed to be mounted lower and behind the fuel source and mine is mounted higher and in front of the tank with 4ft of suction line....certainly not ideal.  :P

The motor "feels" good but the speed is off 4-5mph from where it should be.  :scratchchin:

Ron

Ghoste

Quote from: firefighter3931 on September 29, 2012, 09:34:43 AM

:lol: true that ! You don't see too many 6'1" 250lb Ballerina's these days....LMAO

Ron

:scared:  And who would want to?   :lol:

cdr

based on our 250lb ballerina :icon_smile_big:, MY car & driver just lost 100lb  :icon_smile_big: my car will be very similar to your fine lookin ride

Challenger340

Quote from: firefighter3931 on September 29, 2012, 09:34:43 AM

Quote from: oldschool on September 28, 2012, 07:16:40 PM

Brian, i'm planning to install a fuel cell with the pump mounted right beside it. Currently i have a stock gas tank with a sump and the fuel pump is mounted in front of the gas tank and up in the shock tower area. Fuel has to travel 4ft and up to the pump which is not ideal. Electric fuel pumps are supposed to be mounted lower and behind the fuel source and mine is mounted higher and in front of the tank with 4ft of suction line....certainly not ideal.  :P

The motor "feels" good but the speed is off 4-5mph from where it should be.  :scratchchin:

Ron

YOWSER !
Ron.....Even Ballerina mo-fo's can't suck fuel 4ft...... and UP to boot...then push that head pressure in a 1/2" line all the way to the front under acceleration ?   :slap:

just jokin with ya.....
GREAT JOB with the Car !
But sounds to me....like you may have found a worthwhile fuel "delivery" modification ? You getting 6-7psi at the BOWLS all the way down the Track ? 
Only wimps wear Bowties !

BSB67

"You getting 6-7psi at the BOWLS all the way down the Track ? "

If you think there should be another 5 or 6 mph in it, this is what I would check first.  I believe that 6 psi at the big end would be plenty enough unless you have the smallest inlet needles, which is unlikely.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

firefighter3931

Quote from: cdr on September 29, 2012, 11:02:34 AM
based on our 250lb ballerina :icon_smile_big:, MY car & driver just lost 100lb  :icon_smile_big: my car will be very similar to your fine lookin ride

CDR,

Your car should easily be 200lbs lighter if not more. The World block is 70lbs heavier than a std RB block. That truck Dana is one stout beast....the axle tubes are twice as thick as a std Dana. My trans guy who installed the locker commented that this beast was heavier than the last Allison transmission he had on his workbench. He giggled when he saw me lifting the 3rd member out of the truck and layed it on his bench....that is until he tried to move it himself  :lol: That 8pt rollbar is 120 lbs as well so if you don't add one to your ride there's your 200lb savings and then some. FWIW mine scaled at 3980 with 18 gallons of fuel.

Quote from: Challenger340 on September 29, 2012, 11:46:56 AM
YOWSER !
Ron.....Even Ballerina mo-fo's can't suck fuel 4ft...... and UP to boot...then push that head pressure in a 1/2" line all the way to the front under acceleration ?   :slap:

just jokin with ya.....
GREAT JOB with the Car !
But sounds to me....like you may have found a worthwhile fuel "delivery" modification ? You getting 6-7psi at the BOWLS all the way down the Track ? 

You guys need to lay off the Ballerina comments....you're giving me a complex  :icon_smile_blackeye:  :lol:

Bob, i don't have an in cabin fuel guage so i don't know what it's doing down track. It's not laying over but not pulling as hard as i think it should  :scratchchin: I know...no excuse for not having that info, shame on me !  :coocoo:

As for the way it's set-up now : I was trying to keep it as stock looking as possible and could fit the Mallory 250 pump in that one location, only....it's really tight and space limited with the 3in tailpipes, shocks, factory gas tank etc...

Quote from: BSB67 on September 29, 2012, 12:27:37 PM
"You getting 6-7psi at the BOWLS all the way down the Track ? "

If you think there should be another 5 or 6 mph in it, this is what I would check first.  I believe that 6 psi at the big end would be plenty enough unless you have the smallest inlet needles, which is unlikely.

Russ, it has a Quickfuel 1050cfm 4150 carb on it so the needles should be sized accordingly i would think. We dynoed the motor with this carb and it worked fine.  :2thumbs:

Ron