News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

buying a block...

Started by 1974dodgecharger, September 26, 2012, 04:36:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1974dodgecharger

What should you look for when buying an engine block? I have my eyes set on one he wants 500 bucks its been honed already, also comes with a set of stock rods and pistons, cam rollers, output heads etc...

He said its rebuildable, but being that cheap you wonder what is wrong on a 440 block at 500 bucks.

JB400

Why is he selling it.  If it's been honed, it might be to far out of round.  And to correct it, might involve taking it past its safe zone.  I'd check it with a bore guage first.  Check each cylinder top, middle and bottom all the way around.  Then check with your own machinist.  Check the main caps as well.  They might need to be replaced.  Of course, there's the usual cracks to look for as well.  Do your homework, buyer beware.

Cooter

If seller is close, ask if you can run it by the machine shop and have it magnafluxed for cracks. Also, have ALL clearances checked to make sure it isn't some wierd "Core shift" block that won't take even a .020 Bore.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

1974dodgecharger

I countered offered for the block alone for 300 bucks....he accepted. I figure I could be out of 300 bucks after the magnaflux instead of 500.

I know a block from 440source is gonna run me 1300 and 175 to ship in a crate.

no318

Storage is important, too.  I machined a very nice original 67 HP block and sold it to a person on here probably 3 years ago.  6 mos. ago, he called saying it was junk and needed like 6 sleeves.  He stored it in humidity for serveral years, without lube other than honing oil on the cylinders and then accused me of selling him junk.   :brickwall:

Storing them without ANY damage is tough.

1974dodgecharger

thx for that info  :2thumbs:

Its gonna be in my living my room if I go pick it up...and sit there through time until I gradually pick up the pieces.

JB400

Throw a glass top on it and you have a table :2thumbs:

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on September 27, 2012, 11:29:29 AM
Throw a glass top on it and you have a table :2thumbs:

thinking the same thing. The guy went down to 200 bucks if I come by to pick it up tonight claims he needs money bad to finish off his car since he rides his bicycle to work everyday.

Figure I spent and lost 200 bucks before and having a block in my living room aint a bad idea and if the block is good even better if not then its a table for LIFE.

randy73

I take it you are single???

If it is a 70's block, you can get them resleaved.

JB400

You don't have to be single to get away with it.  They make good man cave pieces as well.   As far as in the living room, stick it in the corner and she'll be less likely to notice. :2thumbs:

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on September 28, 2012, 02:12:35 PM
You don't have to be single to get away with it.  They make good man cave pieces as well.   As far as in the living room, stick it in the corner and she'll be less likely to notice. :2thumbs:

im partial to be beiing single, but anyways I got the block home.  The guy was a major mopar head. Worked for chrylser back in the 90s and has been around the block in rebuilding engines. I told him this will be my first build and gave me some advice and gave me his card.  Overall I have made a mopar acquitance very great guy. It must me, but only mopar dudes and dudettes are the coolest people around when it comes about talking about cars and helping each other out its like a 'clan'

Anyways......

-block is a virgin block (never bored over stock)
-its a 'HP' block maybe with a 6 pack original (maybe)
-Honed already so semi clean

Seemed like a honest guy and I told him I wanted to build a blower motor he said this block is a good candidate, told me 8:1 to compression should do, and like I said we talked a bit.

It sits in the living room chillin in the corner.....will post pics...in a bit.

JB400

Sounds like you scored pretty darn good then.   2 for the price of 1.  You got a good block and a new mopar buddy, I suppose you got a lottery ticket today as well? :2thumbs: