News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

OK---F & F now has a Daytona?

Started by Just 6T9 CHGR, September 21, 2012, 07:40:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Indygenerallee

QuoteI don't know, I kind of prefer the "we did it quick to homologate" look.  You know, form follows function?

Exactly, and then stuff like this precipitates myths and rumors about what a correct Daytona should have on it, Because we all know the cars in the movies are correct!  ::)
I can hear it already "No the car in the F&F movie is a original one and that was not like that!"  :lol: :smilielol:
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

472 R/T SE

Quote from: DC_1(formerly Sydmoe) on September 23, 2012, 06:45:57 PM

If he is still around doing 7 and 8 the car might need a Handycap sticker in the window.   :D

Hey, watch it buddy!   ;)

JB400

The tail on  that thing stinks. I think they should have done the rearend like the stock car guys did.  Leave the rear bumper on.  It cost more to do that then just painting the bumper or getting a chrome one. :Twocents:

Finn

I can't get over the nose....I know its supposed to be different but it still looks "off".
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

Mike DC

QuoteExactly, and then stuff like this precipitates myths and rumors about what a correct Daytona should have on it, Because we all know the cars in the movies are correct!  Roll Eyes
I can hear it already "No the car in the F&F movie is a original one and that was not like that!"  lol smilielol

I think we are more likely to hear people leaving the theater saying "Oh God, what did they do to Dom's beautiful Charger?!?  What idiot thought it was a good idea to raid the import parts-bin and put a huge gaudy plastic wing & nosecone onto a 40yo musclecar?"

IMHO the Mopar crowd looks at the wing cars through rose-tinted glasses.  They were ugly thrown-together cars.  If you don't know the factory-built-for-NASCAR backstory on them, they just look as cheap & exaggerated as the worst of the import tuner customs we make jokes about.    

--------------------------------

This whole thing reminds me of the 2000 "Gone in 60 Seconds" remake's GT500.  The classic version's fans didn't like it either when pics first leaked, and many of them still don't.  But it has probably only helped public admiration for the originals since the movie came out.

Indygenerallee

Quotethe Mopar crowd looks at the wing cars through rose-tinted glasses.  They were ugly thrown-together cars.
Your entitled to your opinion but I would have to say your totally wrong on that comment, I know the complete backstory on the cars and how and why they were built  ::) I would say being what they were and when they were built they looked pretty damn good! I think the wing cars are the best looking Mopars ever built IMHO!!  :icon_smile_big:
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Mike DC

I'm not saying there wasn't solid engineering behind them.  There was lots of it.

But good looking, totally aside from the functionality?  No.

Suppose the factory had never made any wing cars.  Suppose the F&F movie crew invented the Daytona appearance for the first time today.  Suppose that aerodynamics had never even factored into their decisions, they had just put a wing & nosecone onto the car because they thought it looked cool for the cameras, and nobody was even aware if the design was a major aero improvement or not, nor had any intentions to bother finding out  . . . we would be calling the Daytona's appearance fugly.  

Dino

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on October 03, 2012, 10:46:12 AM
I'm not saying there wasn't solid engineering behind them.  There was lots of it.

But good looking, totally aside from the functionality?  No.

Suppose the factory had never made any wing cars.  Suppose the F&F movie crew invented the Daytona appearance for the first time today.  Suppose that aerodynamics had never even factored into their decisions, they had just put a wing & nosecone onto the car because they thought it looked cool for the cameras, and nobody was even aware if the design was a major aero improvement or not, nor had any intentions to bother finding out  . . . we would be calling the Daytona's appearance fugly.  

I do believe that was the same reaction many people had in '69 as well. 
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

1974dodgecharger

I dont now all movie cars are cool looking...so what it has no functionality sometimes, but big deal...hell do you really need a charger that old? If functionality is what your after then we all would be in in econo boxes like a civic.

A car has one purpose to get to A to B as long as it does that then its fine its what we tweak to it as a individual that we appreciate.

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on October 03, 2012, 08:04:49 AM
QuoteExactly, and then stuff like this precipitates myths and rumors about what a correct Daytona should have on it, Because we all know the cars in the movies are correct!  Roll Eyes
I can hear it already "No the car in the F&F movie is a original one and that was not like that!"  lol smilielol

I think we are more likely to hear people leaving the theater saying "Oh God, what did they do to Dom's beautiful Charger?!?  What idiot thought it was a good idea to raid the import parts-bin and put a huge gaudy plastic wing & nosecone onto a 40yo musclecar?"

IMHO the Mopar crowd looks at the wing cars through rose-tinted glasses.  They were ugly thrown-together cars.  If you don't know the factory-built-for-NASCAR backstory on them, they just look as cheap & exaggerated as the worst of the import tuner customs we make jokes about.    

This whole thing reminds me of the 2000 "Gone in 60 Seconds" remake's GT500.  The classic version's fans didn't like it either when pics first leaked, and many of them still don't.  But it has probably only helped public admiration for the originals since the movie came out.

Fred

Quote from: A383Wing on October 02, 2012, 08:50:40 PM
I like it and I would drive it...that's my vote

Bryan

And your vote counts.   :nixon:

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

Fred

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on October 03, 2012, 08:04:49 AM

That really is a good looking Mustang.  If I had the $$ it would be mine.  :2thumbs:

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

JB400

If you'd quit buying junk, you'd have the money to buy it.  No need to  :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: about not having money.