News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Shelby Charger owners

Started by Ghoste, September 18, 2012, 12:14:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

AMC had sourced automatics from Chrysler for quite a while I think.

DC_1

Well, hate on the little 2.2 if you want but I always liked the GLHS version since it came out when I was in high school. In that late 80's time frame the Ford guys had the Mustang GT and GM guys had the Z28 and Iroc Camero, us Chrysler followers had nothing but those little $hit boxes to root for.......Even though deep down we knew it was no Charger, Challenger,Cuda or Dart, we missed that era in time and we had nothing else from Chrysler. I mean I still had my 69 Charger which was a 20 year old car at the time and was cool as hell... but chicks like guys in something that was new and had A/C that actually worked!

Ghoste

I do too, too bad we couldn't get enough of them together to crash a Shelby American show. :D

Cooter

I heard it was a GOv. Bailout that actually saved Chrysler ...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

66FBCharger

Quote from: Cooter on September 19, 2012, 11:01:11 AM
It was a government loan guarantee that Chrysler paid back in full ahead of the due date.
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

DC_1

Quote from: Ghoste on September 19, 2012, 11:00:31 AM
I do too, too bad we couldn't get enough of them together to crash a Shelby American show. :D

According to the web site this pic was posted at someone already did that in a 2002 Shelby America meet in TN.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2263503/1987-shelby-glhs

JB400

Quote from: 66FBCharger on September 19, 2012, 11:09:55 AM
It was a government loan guarantee that Chrysler paid back in full ahead of the due date.
After they took bankruptcy.  They should have saved us the money and still filed bankruptcy.  
A Shelby is a Shelby.  We don't bash the 75 and later charger on here. Ford Shelby guys will get over it.  Hey, we got the Viper from the deal.

41husk

Quote from: 66FBCharger on September 19, 2012, 11:09:55 AM
I heard it was a Gov. Bailout that actually saved Chrysler ...

They were bailed out but the introduction and ultimate success of the K car allowed them to pull them self out of debt even ahead of Iaccoca's own estimates.  He was the man responsible for bringing Carol Shelby to Chrysler.  The Omni Charger and Shelby Chargers were a success.  In 83 I went to Jacksonville Fl. to purchase my first ever new car.  The base Toyota corolla was the cheepest thing I could find.  It had no radio and floor mats instead of carpet, and no AC.  I took my new car home to Kings Bay GA, only to get a call from the dealer saying they could not finance me and I had to bring the car back.  I was very depressed and thought a new car was beyond my reach.  I reluctantly stopped at the Chrysler dealer.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

41husk

I drove the Omni Chargers most basic model it was priced around 4k and had standard tranny, carpet am radio AC and looked much more sporty than the Toyota.  We set up payment through Chrysler Credit, but I was not going to take it home.  I told the salesman to call me when the financing was all approved.  He told me the car was mine and I could take it home.  I explained my Toyota humiliation.  He assured me that would not happen with Chrysler.  I reluctantly took my first new car home.  I paid it off a year later with my reenlistment bonus and have never purchased a new vehicle from any one but Chrysler.
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

Ghoste

Once more on the alleged bailout bankruptcy thing back in the Iaccoca days.  They didn't go bankrupt and the government didn't give them a single penny.  The government guaranteed their loans for them.  Basically they acted as a co-sign for Chrysler with the banks for which the federal government received fees.  Chrysler was able to keep operating, and paid back the loans to the BANKS and paid the fees to the feds.

DC_1

Quote from: Ghoste on September 19, 2012, 12:53:53 PM
Once more on the alleged bailout bankruptcy thing back in the Iaccoca days.  They didn't go bankrupt and the government didn't give them a single penny.  The government guaranteed their loans for them.  Basically they acted as a co-sign for Chrysler with the banks for which the federal government received fees.  Chrysler was able to keep operating, and paid back the loans to the BANKS and paid the fees to the feds.

About.com

"Congress passed the bill 21 December 1979, but with strings attached. Congress required Chrysler to obtain private financing for $1.5 billion -- the government was co-signing the note, not printing the money -- and to obtain another $2 billion in "commitments or concessions [that] can be arranged by Chrysler for the financing of its operations." One of those options, of course, was reduce employees wages; in prior discussions, the union had failed to budge, but the contingent guarantee moved the union"

Nacho-RT74

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Nacho-RT74

and getting back to topic...

WHAT SHELBY CHARGERS OWNERS SAAAY IIIIS...
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

71charger_fan

This Shelby Charger owner says that even after owning it for almost 30 years, I still enjoy it enough to spend three or four times what it's worth to fix it up and get it back on the road.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,75944.0.html

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Ghoste

I was going to say something about that not being a Shelby Charger but I figured someone else would just say that Shelby Chargers aren't Chargers.  Or Shelby's. :lol:
That thing would have been cool though.

moparstuart

Quote from: Ghoste on September 20, 2012, 09:30:02 AM
I was going to say something about that not being a Shelby Charger but I figured someone else would just say that Shelby Chargers aren't Chargers.  Or Shelby's. :lol:
That thing would have been cool though.
rampages are still  " L " body  mopars and when the cloners make a Shelby out of them they have to use charger front ends    :icon_smile_big: :nana:

Ghoste

Yeah, as someone who gets sick of hearing that his 67 is a Coronet with a fastback, I'm going to admit I'm a little biased against drawing some of those same platform=same car leaps. :lol:

moparstuart

Quote from: Ghoste on September 20, 2012, 09:37:28 AM
Yeah, as someone who gets sick of hearing that his 67 is a Coronet with a fastback, I'm going to admit I'm a little biased against drawing some of those same platform=same car leaps. :lol:
yup my plymouths are always nice chargers at least a few times at every show ,

41husk

My Daytona is called a SuperBird at least once at every show :brickwall:
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

Ghoste

But hopefully they never suggest you paint it orange and 01 on the doors.

JB400

How many ask " How high will it fly?" :engel016:

moparstuart

Quote from: Ghoste on September 20, 2012, 10:01:28 AM
But hopefully they never suggest you paint it orange and 01 on the doors.
can i get someone to embroider a rebel flag into my convertible top   :shruggy: :smilielol:

moparstuart

Ghoste

I'm sure you can get anything you want on your top.