News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Keeping "Survivor" status of a car

Started by 1970Moparmann, September 16, 2012, 09:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1970Moparmann

Well, I got a call from a friend who knew about a low mileage car and the seller needes some $$.  I went to see it about 2 weeks ago and even though it's very low mileage, it has a decent amount of surface rust on the underside due to sitting on a dirt floor in a barn for a period of time.  The car is original except for tires and a battery. 

The interior is very good and needs some minor work.   :2thumbs:

The paint is good except for some small nicks that have rust now, but, it was in a minor accident on one of the quarter panels and the paint blend job was bad.  :rotz: 

Engine compartment metal is great with no rust rot anywhere except there is a good amount of surface rust on the engine components. 

Mechanically, the car runs very good, but needs to be gone through all fluids and such.

Now for the questions-

Can a single stage paint blend into original paint well?  The color is white.

As for all the surface rust in the engine compartment components, anyone have a solution to just clean it up versus repaint the components?

Since the car needed more work than expected, I gave the owner a low amount of what I would pay for it.  He was mad with my offer, but told him based on the work it needs, this is all "I" can go.  I told him if he sells it for more, more power to him.   Well, a week passed and he contacted me saying he will take my offer. 

If I buy this car, I think it would be cool to try and keep it in "survivor" status.
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

Nacho-RT74

I'm one of those who likes a lot a survivor conditions but if that could mean put a risk to the car integrity, preffer to restore. Although it looks this specific one doesn't need a restore job but a refreshing. Nothing wrong with that if you ask me
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

A383Wing

I'm trying to keep my cream 66 a "survivor" car....still wears OE paint, engine has never been opened up, OE trans & rear end as well.....

I did replace the torn & faded interior a few years ago, maybe that takes away from the "survivor" class, but it was really bad and I was embarrassed to show the car with rotten interior

so does this mean my car ain't "survivor" or OE anymore? maybe so, but it is better to me with clean interior

Bryan

JB400

I believe your car still qualifies as a survivor.  Nothing major was done to the car, just a little freshening up.  40 something interior could always use some freshening up anyway.  It at least makes it more comfortable. :2thumbs:

Ghoste

It's probably still a survivor Bryan, the Corvette guys have REALLY loosened up where people define it now anyway so the term is getting very watered down imo.

XS29LA47V21

Quote from: Ghoste on September 17, 2012, 05:47:12 AM
It's probably still survivor Bryan, the Corvette guys have REALLY loosened up where people define it now anyway so the term is getting very watered down imo.

Apparently mine is not a survivor :lol: :lol: :lol: ::)

When you figure out how to take it back in time please let me know. 

Mine has original paint with some stuff not original (incl motor) so it does not qualify it as survivor to "vet set..." but survivor to me in my head all day long.  Otherwise as what I do, I personally consider exposure to sun/weather, being blue... paint that does not hold up well in the sun, I avoid long sun exposure outside or 3-4day shows in TX in August for example.  Mostly chase local cruzing with this car and out to dinner with kids (& wife sometimes :scratchchin: :slap:).  Also I do not put new stuff on it.  I replaced the shifter knob with a better original one still some wear (not NOS/repop) and would favor nice original parts over NOS or repop's personally.  I am having a hard time holding that line on a different car but I am trying.  Can we see more photos of survivors?

Ghoste

An engine is a fairly significant component to change out and qualify for survivor status I think.  It didn't seem to matter too much until the "Mopar Survivors" starting getting a lot of ink and special displays at the various shows, now it seems like a lot of cars are surivivors.  Semantics I guess since any car still on the road has survived but to me personally it has to be very nearly with the same equipment it wore coming off the line.  I think the Vette crew allow for engine replacements but I'm not sure?

JB400

When did the vette owners dictate how the mopar camp plays?  Survivor ( not the one on tv :eek2:) status is clearly defined as an original paint car that has most of its original components still intact from the way it left the factory.  When you repaint the car, or freshen up the engine, or start adding aftermarket stuff to it, you broken that seal.  Replacing the fabric on the seats back to factory, falls under replacing belts and hoses.  They are normal high wear items.  Now when you start taking chrome pieces off in the interior, then you lose the survivor status as well.  Then your car is just an original paint car.
Vette guys have enjoyed the fumes too much to dictate how are cars our cars or others are judged.

One exception,  the dealer replaces a motor or other significant part under warranty.

Ghoste

I picked on the Vette guys because they have a published guideline as to what constitutes survivor status.  They even went to the trouble to trademark (or copyright whatever) the term to try and force other groups to play their way.  I don't know all the details of what they did but its part of the whole Bloomington thing.

JB400

Their definitions might be a good starting point, but it really needs to be decided by camp.  The Duesenburg guys play by their own rules.  Of course, it does depend on the time period.  Maybe, it's just a matter of opinion until you start getting into events like Pebble Beach where they have set guide lines.  That's probably the way everyone should be classifying their cars.

Mike DC

QuoteThey even went to the trouble to trademark (or copyright whatever) the term to try and force other groups to play their way.

.  .  .  which effectively validated all the bad stereotypes about the Vette crowd.

1970Moparmann

Glad I started a debate here. :popcrn:

Does anyone have any experience on the paint question?   

hatersaurusrex

I saw a recent thread over on the VW forums where someone was asking how to add 'patina' to a paintjob.  In other words, paint the car freshly, then purposely fade it to make it look like a survivor.

This seems inherently silly to me, does anyone in the Mopar camp do this that you guys know of?
[ŌŌ]ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ[ŌŌ] = 68
[ŌŌ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ŌŌ] = 69
(ŌŌ)[ƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗ](ŌŌ) = 70

Ghoste

Quote from: 1970Moparmann on September 17, 2012, 07:02:00 PM

I think the debate indicates there are a lot of variations on what defines survivor anymore.  As for the paint repairs, does your state allow for the right kind of paint to be used?  Tufcat is going through a lot of that now with his Coronet.  How big an area is it you are trying to do?  By the time you do underhood and a 1/4 panel are you maybe better off doing the whole car?

1970Moparmann

Quote from: Ghoste on September 18, 2012, 05:41:30 AM

I think the debate indicates there are a lot of variations on what defines survivor anymore.  As for the paint repairs, does your state allow for the right kind of paint to be used?  Tufcat is going through a lot of that now with his Coronet.  How big an area is it you are trying to do?  By the time you do underhood and a 1/4 panel are you maybe better off doing the whole car?

It's just the bottom portion (under a molding) of a quarter panel and then the rockers and minor touch up.   This is why I would love to try and keep it 90% original paint.  I read that a single stage in white might not be as bad to blend.  :shruggy:

Dino

You can blend anything but I would still topcoat it with clear to protect it.  If you don't, the paint will not last very long where you blend it.

I don't get the whole survivor thing.  If it was still near mint then yes but with all the work it needs now I wonder where the line between survivor and resto project is.  With very few exceptions I believe all these cars should be redone.  I don't see the point in not restoring it just because someone could call it a survivor.  That's just me though, I need to drive these things and use them for what they were built.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Nacho-RT74

I won't fix this car because has SURVIVED to the time... is not a fossil ( yet )

:lol: :nana:

actually keep a "survivor" onto the SURVIVOR status, worths the effort JUST if really doens't need anything and is PERFECT. One great example is the chargery9's 73 SE car... THAT'S REALLY A GREAT SURVIVOR... althought got a hit last week and needs some fix now.

Now... will you fix his car ? with the accident he got, is still a survivor, but now, won't you fix it because that ?

Is true the harder part is about the paint!!!!

if needs some fix, no matter if small, I can't see a reason why not fix it. I rather preffer to see a NICE car than a survivor needing work or replacement parts

now, when we talk about BUY a car, yes I preffer an untouched never fixed car, to not find HIDDEN secrets on it
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html

Mike DC

In a world full of brand new cars, a scruffy one is cooler. 

In a world full of neglected rustbuckets, a fully restored one is cooler.

In a world full of fully restored cars, a (decent condition) original one is cooler.

68X426

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on September 18, 2012, 03:34:31 PM

In a world full of fully restored cars, a (decent condition) original one is cooler.

Well said.  :yesnod:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

JB400

Quote from: 68X426 on September 18, 2012, 03:36:21 PM

Well said.  :yesnod:

:iagree: :yesnod: :yesnod:

1970Moparmann

I agree.

A friend who owns a body shop (major Mopar nut :2thumbs:) called me back today and said, he can blend it especially since it's white.  He said he'll just have to tint the base coat correctly and it will blend in well.   :2thumbs:

Just got off the phone with the 3rd owner of the car who picked it up from the barn.  He said the car was sitting on a cement floor of a barn that also had 50% of a dirt floor.   The miles are correct at 30k, and gave the low down on the history.  Pretty cool.... I pick it up on Friday!

A383Wing

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on September 18, 2012, 05:11:10 PM
Quote from: 68X426 on September 18, 2012, 03:36:21 PM

Well said.  :yesnod:

:iagree: :yesnod: :yesnod:

I like that! :yesnod:

but all depends on how the survivor actually is ;)

A383Wing

Mike, I'm keeping that quote...I'm gonna print it out and save it for car shows

Bryan (with your permission of course)

Ghoste

Yeah, its kind of like automotive Confucianism isn't it?