News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Close Call for my Charger, too close...

Started by Moparman01, September 14, 2012, 07:00:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cooter

Quote from: RallyeMike on September 17, 2012, 09:17:20 PM

Well, you can't control the actions of the other dumb-ass, but you can control your own: There are other sane and legal ways to deal with it other than giving into testosterone-driven road rage and what is characterized by every State in the union as reckless driving. Try slowing down in 5mph increments until the jerk passes. Wave and smile as he goes by. Works every time and makes them madder than hell.

You know Mike, I tried that very thing tonight.....I'm in the fast lane doing my usual 10 over. Sure nuff, here comes one of the "Speeding sheeple" on my ass. I read in the thread and decided to try a different approach. Exactly what you decribe here. Sure enough, got all the way down to 40 MPH in a 65.. of which, I WAS doing 75.
35 MPH drop and STILL ON MY ASS???? WTF? They eventually passed, but WTH? Like they couldn't remove themsleves...It was raining.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Fred

Quote from: Cooter on September 17, 2012, 09:23:35 PM

Well, you can't control the actions of the other dumb-ass, but you can control your own: There are other sane and legal ways to deal with it other than giving into testosterone-driven road rage and what is characterized by every State in the union as reckless driving. Try slowing down in 5mph increments until the jerk passes. Wave and smile as he goes by. Works every time and makes them madder than hell.

You know Mike, I tried that very thing tonight.....I'm in the fast lane doing my usual 10 over. Sure nuff, here comes one of the "Speeding sheeple" on my ass. I read in the thread and decided to try a different approach. Exactly what you decribe here. Sure enough, got all the way down to 40 MPH in a 65.. of which, I WAS doing 75.
35 MPH drop and STILL ON MY ASS???? WTF? They eventually passed, but WTH? Like they couldn't remove themsleves...It was raining.

Way too many f**k knuckles out there just looking for trouble.

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

RallyeMike

QuoteYou know Mike, I tried that very thing tonight.

... next time the smile and friendly wave of the hand. Guaranteed - when you see their head explode it will make your whole week!  :lol:
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

JB400

Quote from: Fred on September 17, 2012, 08:55:19 PM
Quote from: stroker400 wedge on September 17, 2012, 03:05:57 PM
Can't we all just get along?

What a wonderful world it would be.   I'm happy to give it a go.  :yesnod:
Thank you!!!!!  Finally, someone willing to try a peaceful approach. If only we could get another 7 trillion people to try it......

Troy

Quote from: Cooter on September 17, 2012, 09:23:35 PM

When you have multiple lanes the left lane is the passing lane. Pass or move. It's actually illegal here in Ohio to "impede" traffic - although I doubt they've given too many of those tickets. The law probably came about from people driving their Prius at 50 in the fast lane. :D As I mentioned earlier, if you have nowhere to go (ie 2 lane road) then drive at whatever speed you feel is safe. In these situations I'll also slow down steadily until the driver behind me "gets the hint" (or explodes!) but if I have room I'll let them pass. It's common courtesy.

Any way, to alter the topic, I have a theory about sheeple driving. Most people are followers and are afraid to lead. For whatever reason they will pull out behind you and ride your tail but the second you move over they will sit even with your quarter panel or right off your rear bumper (way more dangerous to me than being directly behind). After a few miles they'll either drop off or you'll eventually need to pass someone and get back in front of them. At that point they magically find the gas pedal and suck right back under your bumper. I get it all the time when passing on the right. It's like, as soon as they see someone pass they realize how slow they are going, or, more likely, they subconsciously go into "follow" mode. Much like the attraction qualities of water, the act of passing "grabs" them and they momentarily speed up to match traffic. Once you've gone a ways and start to pull away they fall back into whatever speed they were traveling. I had a guy pass me 11 times on a trip to Tennessee once. I had the cruise set the whole way but this guy would ride my rear until I switched lanes, pass me like I was standing still, and then I'd catch up to him 2-3 miles later. As soon as I'd pass he'd get right behind me again. I believe most people aren't paying any attention at all while driving so it's mostly subconscious any way. It's easier to let the other guy watch the road and then just mimic their actions.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

myk

'OP as it's been said don't beat yourself up too much-we've all done something foolish in cars and our Chargers.  Did you ever pull a Dukes of Hazzard and jump your '69 by accident?  I did that and haven't lived it down yet.   Oh and another vote for disc brakes.  Now, I can tailgate with the best of them...

TUFCAT

Thankfully, Road Rage Cooter is only emparting his wisdom to drivers around Lynchburg, VA and not driving anywhere around me.

He's obviously dumb not to understand how these "little lessons" can destroy his life (which he must not value) or the lives of others.

Cooter ask yourself: "Is this worth being paralyzed or killed"? "Is it worth a jail sentence?"  "Is this it worth killing other people"?

If you can answer yes to any of the above GET HELP because your rage is out of control.  

{nicely edited}  :D

JB400

Alright Miss Kitty, play nice now.  That's it, be a pretty kitty.  :devil: I strongly doubt that Cooter has done anything like what he has listed.  I think it's just something that we would like to do.  We have all thought about it.  It's just against our better judgement that makes us settle down and behave ourselves.  We should probably practice it on the computer as well, don't you think?

TUFCAT

I hate to stir the pot...I really do, and I'm being very nice kitty. As nice as I can possibly be. :icon_smile_wink:

This interested me enough to call my neighbor (Police Officer) for his thoughts if this happened in Michigan.

If another person witnessed a driver hitting their brakes on purpose they could be charged with aggravated assault or battery if there was an injury. Both are felonies.

If no injuries and still proven to be "road rage" with or without causing an accident, the driver will be charged with reckless driving at a minimum, but most likely Reckless Driving/Felony Operation of a Vehicle.

Just FYI, in Virginia any driver can dial #77 on their cell phone and give a description of the driver's vehicle, license number, location, and direction of travel.

So Cooter, take it serious dude. :yesnod:

JB400

Quote from: TUFCAT on September 19, 2012, 12:37:13 PM
I'm being very nice kitty. As nice as I can possibly be. :icon_smile_wink:

Obviously, you've either had too much catnip or not enough. 
You better go have some more.

JB400

If someone's on my butt and I don't like it, I tap the brakes just enough to turn on the lights.  If they don't get the hint, then I add a little more brakes.  If they still don't get the hint and it still bothers me,  I pull over, let him by, and then return the favor, being a little more alert and having one foot on the brake at all times.  I try not to let it bother me too much.  Unless it's at night.   Biggest pet peeve ever.  Someone that stays behind you, or beside you at your left rear, with bright lights on. :flame:

Ghoste

I know its hard but the highway is just not a good place for revenge.   Its just too easy to end up on the losing side.

JB400

Quote from: Ghoste on September 19, 2012, 01:54:30 PM
I know its hard but the highway is just not a good place for revenge.   Its just too easy to end up on the losing side.
I agree.  Even people not involved in the conflict can end up in the aftermath.  Keep your cool and everyone wins.  The idiot doing the tailgating will pay for it eventually. :coolgleamA:

HeavyFuel

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on September 17, 2012, 06:08:04 AM
Why would disk brakes be any better?  He said all 4 locked up and he slid sideways.

C'mon, man....this is 'Brakes 101' stuff.  :nana:

In a panic stop, drums don't slow you fast enough, so you push them harder, until they lock, then you're screwed.  No mystery there.

Cooter

I hate to stir the pot...I really do, and I'm being very nice kitty. As nice as I can possibly be. :icon_smile_wink:

If another person witnessed a driver hitting their brakes on purpose they could be charged with aggravated assault or battery if there was an injury. Both are felonies.

(Trying REALLY hard not to post my un-edited reply)...

Proof lies with the accuser. Go find that dog that ran out in front of my vehicle while dude was all up my ass. I dare 'ya. My word against his.
Most times you'll prolly hear the cop say something like "Damn, I wish somebody would kill that dog. He sure has been causing alot of accidents lately".

With that said, I generally do not worry bout assholes until they get within 4Ft. of my bumper. Then, it's on....
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

TUFCAT

Why am I not surprised wth all of the stuff you've said?  I'll bet you've been on the other side of the law most of your life, and the type of guy who's always getting into trouble.....but somehow it's never been your fault.

Cooter

Actually, All my older cars have never been backed into original paint or not, and my driving record is around 4-5 points to the good since I quit street racing.

I drive safely since i met the wifey. Now back when i was heavy into the club with my brothers? Well, that's another story all together(Had to get off bikes for good due to afore mentioned drivers). I bend the laws every now and then, but I manage to stay out of trouble. It's these idiots that cannot seem to remember their driving rules of the road that tend to frustrate me as well as many on the road including you to a degree. Do I do this Every single time I'm out? No, but I will do it if you ride my ass.

With all that said again, If I see a green ( turquoise) Coronet from outta state, I'll be sure to try and cut him some slack....

Chargerguy74

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on September 19, 2012, 01:51:26 PM
If someone's on my butt and I don't like it, I tap the brakes just enough to turn on the lights.  If they don't get the hint, then I add a little more brakes.  If they still don't get the hint and it still bothers me,  I pull over, let him by, and then return the favor, being a little more alert and having one foot on the brake at all times.  I try not to let it bother me too much.  Unless it's at night.   Biggest pet peeve ever.  Someone that stays behind you, or beside you at your left rear, with bright lights on. :flame:

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on September 19, 2012, 02:11:27 PM
Quote from: Ghoste on September 19, 2012, 01:54:30 PM
I know its hard but the highway is just not a good place for revenge.   Its just too easy to end up on the losing side.
I agree.  Even people not involved in the conflict can end up in the aftermath.  Keep your cool and everyone wins.  The idiot doing the tailgating will pay for it eventually. :coolgleamA:

Seems a little contradicting  ;)
WANTED: NOS or excellent condition 72-74 4 speed shifter boot for bench or centre armrest car, part number 3467755. It's a rubber boot that looks like it's sewn up leather.

WANTED: My original 440 blocks. Serial # 2A188182 and 3A100002

Vainglory, Esq.

Quote from: Cooter on September 19, 2012, 07:32:45 PM

(Trying REALLY hard not to post my un-edited reply)...

Proof lies with the accuser. Go find that dog that ran out in front of my vehicle while dude was all up my ass. I dare 'ya. My word against his.
Most times you'll prolly hear the cop say something like "Damn, I wish somebody would kill that dog. He sure has been causing alot of accidents lately".

With that said, I generally do not worry bout assholes until they get within 4Ft. of my bumper. Then, it's on....

Big, tough man, aren't ya?

Loser.

Ghoste

Quote from: Cooter on September 19, 2012, 07:32:45 PM

Within 4ft?  And you are typically doing 10 over when this happens?  I'm not buying this part my friend, I think if you were doing 60 mph and someone was within 4ft of your bumper when you tapped the brakes you'd have whatever their grille emblem is stamped all over the tailgate of your truck.  I'm betting you declare it's "on" quite a bit further out than 4ft.
Not that it matters really.

JB400

Can't we all just pull up a couple chairs, have a few cold ones, and all get along? :shruggy: :shruggy: :shruggy: :2thumbs:

Cooter

Quote from: Vainglory, Esq. on September 21, 2012, 01:39:51 AM

Big, tough man, aren't ya?

Loser.

And here you come trying to be a bigger/tougher man right? (poser). And BTW: I got your loser anytime.

JB400

Dino

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.