News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Pis of tinted widows on Chargers?

Started by b5blue, September 11, 2012, 02:49:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b5blue

Anyone got any? I ordered enough to tint my 70's windows, 50% tint silver with 20% reflectivity. (Well below Florida's legal requirements.) Added to my factory tint it should really cut down on the heat and glare down here.
  As I'm pulling all the widows on the sides to replace 3 and rebuild the registers along with replacing the rear glass it should be easy for me to do a nice job. Anyone else do it?

Silver R/T

I'd like to see some tinted Chargers as well.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Cooter

" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Ghoste

Practical purposes aside, and I definitely see the need for it in those hight heat areas, I'm not sure if I like the look of that blacked out way or not.  Maybe its the orange color and its too much contrast for my little brain to take in, I don't know?  I hope some other color cars post up with the dark tint for comparison.
Anyone done this to a 1st gen?

oestermarken

69 383 4bbl
White Hat Special
Light Bronze Metallic

Cooter

Quote from: Ghoste on September 13, 2012, 06:59:14 AM
Practical purposes aside, and I definitely see the need for it in those hight heat areas, I'm not sure if I like the look of that blacked out way or not.  Maybe its the orange color and its too much contrast for my little brain to take in, I don't know?  I hope some other color cars post up with the dark tint for comparison.
Anyone done this to a 1st gen?

Saw one in a Kid Rock Video and loved the look. Plus, if you've ever driven at night with some jacked up, rednecked, Sky walker truck blasting even LOW BEAMS all up in your ass as if they wanted to count the hairs on your head, you'd tint the hell out of those windows.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Ghoste

b5blue

Thanks guys! I was hoping for a pic of silver/mirror tint but these help me visualize.  :2thumbs: 

doctor4766

I tint for a living. In fact I have my own business.
Is there something specific you'd like to know?
I have some instructions somewhere that I wrote up a couple of years ago that I included with DIY kits I was selling on ebay if that's any good to you???
Gotta love a '69

doctor4766

Gotta love a '69

b5blue

Hey that looks nice! Dark tint on black!  :2thumbs:

doctor4766

Quote from: b5blue on September 13, 2012, 06:03:41 PM
Hey that looks nice! Dark tint on black!  :2thumbs:

Looks better than the choice of wheels lol

Feel free to like my FB page too  :2thumbs:

There's a few other Aussie Mopars in there too.
Gotta love a '69

NorwayCharger

Here is some more
AKA the drummer boy
http://www.pink-division.com

doctor4766

Gotta love a '69

b5blue

Quote from: doctor4766 on September 13, 2012, 05:53:21 PM
I tint for a living. In fact I have my own business.
Is there something specific you'd like to know?
I have some instructions somewhere that I wrote up a couple of years ago that I included with DIY kits I was selling on ebay if that's any good to you???
I was worried about regulations more than anything but found links to FL. statues. I'll be installing it on the windows out of the car as stated but any advise or tips would be great! If I like it I may do my Cherokee also and that would be "on the car". 

doctor4766

If you're doing the glass out of the car it may be a lot easier if you're a novice.
Keep the windows upright on the bench when you do them, as dust tends to settle quickly if the glass is laying flat.
You can get the film much closer to the edges and eliminate gaps if you do them on the bench.
Just one important thing though.
If you plan to fit darker than legal film to the back glass, you need to take into account that once the window is fitted, it will be a difficult job to remove the tint if you get busted by the cops for it.
You may even need to remove the glass again if that happens, so I'd suggest you leave a 15-20mm gap around the edge. That way the adhesive won't be over the film and will make it easier to strip off.

PM me your email address and I'll dig out my instruction sheet and send it to you. I did write it with the assumption that the windows would still be installed but there are a few good tips that may help.
Gotta love a '69

b5blue

Thanks I'll PM you. I've ordered well below the limits outlined @ 50% tint and 20% reflectivity, I'm mostly trying to block solar heat. Really dark tint here in FL. heats the glass and that heats the interior greatly that's the reason for silver. 

doctor4766

Oh yeah, reflective film definately has better heat rejection.
We're not allowed more than 10% reflectivity here in WA.
VLT (visible light transmittance) is meant to be 35% or more for passenger vehicles, but commercial vehicles can have a 20% VLT film fitted behind the front doors.
Reflective film shows dirt a lot more though, so you will need to be very fussy when you prepare the glass and whilst installing the film if you want it to look good.
The rear glass isnt as flat as it looks either, so you may need to heat shrink the film in order to get it done in 1 piece.
I havent covered that in my instruction sheet but you can google heat shrinking to get the skinny on that.

Maybe I should start an instructional thread if there's any interest?
Gotta love a '69

A383Wing

our 70...last pic is with both front door windows rolled down

Bryan

b5blue

Quote from: doctor4766 on September 15, 2012, 06:40:23 PM
Oh yeah, reflective film definitely has better heat rejection.
We're not allowed more than 10% reflectivity here in WA.
VLT (visible light transmittance) is meant to be 35% or more for passenger vehicles, but commercial vehicles can have a 20% VLT film fitted behind the front doors.
Reflective film shows dirt a lot more though, so you will need to be very fussy when you prepare the glass and whilst installing the film if you want it to look good.
The rear glass isnt as flat as it looks either, so you may need to heat shrink the film in order to get it done in 1 piece.
I havent covered that in my instruction sheet but you can google heat shrinking to get the skinny on that.

Maybe I should start an instructional thread if there's any interest?
I have a heat gun so I'm ready! A topic could be useful if others are inclined.  :scratchchin: