News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

SuperBird headliner install?

Started by Dirtybird, September 11, 2012, 09:34:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dirtybird

I'm putting in a new headliner in the Bird-  How do you do the sail panel area? drip rail first- then pull to back window? glue the bottom? It seems like it would be too straight from the drip to the window- vs. fitting the contour of the roof back there? what a pain- :cheers:

Dirtybird

Wow- no advice at all.  figured it out- what a pain, especially with the back window still in- Beer was needed. :cheers:

nascarxx29

There was a detail step by step in a news letter .Not sure it might be on the winged warrior website
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

oldcarnut

Well you could post your advice and some pics which maybe help someone out in the future when they do theirs :whistling:

WINGIN IT

Have to do this for my Swinger, not looking forward to it.
Just pulled the old one out this past weekend.  :eek2:

Dirtybird

My advice is to have beer at hand- and patience.  The Swinger's should be easy.
insert bows into "channels", center them, and cut the channel just to the ends
Start with rear bow, and hook the little wire things to it
-then the next bow moving forward-
-once all the bows are in place, pull it tight- dead center, and hook in the windshield area
-then go back and pull tight to center of the back window
-make sure material is laying out well side to side, and will pull down to the bow clips, without bunching up, trim channel more if necessary
-go back to the front, hook a few teeth, right- then left, back and forth til you have it most of the way across the windshield
- go back, and do the same in the rear
- once this far, I start pulling to the sides (bows) front to rear,
(THE best piece of advice I have) is to buy, or get from a junk yard, as many of the little clips that hold it to the side- I use at least twice as many as the factory- but you can move them as much as needed- and WAY easier than using glue at this stage.
_ keep pulling, adjusting, til you get it where you want, a heat gun used carefully will take out minor wrinkles in the end.
-replace mirror, trim, etc. it helps hold stuff in place.  If I need glue- I usually brush it vs. spraying- much cleaner. Good luck!

WINGIN IT

WINGIN IT

Well since I didn't have beer or patience, only a migraine, must be why I only got as far as putting it in with the bows.
Every time I went to pull it tight, the front bow would pop out, the like dominos, all the others, then the brand new headliner ends up on the dirty floor  :flame: 
And that ends headliner installation for the day... :RantExplode:

Dirtybird

Quote from: WINGIN IT on September 16, 2012, 12:38:50 PM
Well since I didn't have beer or patience, only a migraine, must be why I only got as far as putting it in with the bows.
Every time I went to pull it tight, the front bow would pop out, the like dominos, all the others, then the brand new headliner ends up on the dirty floor  :flame: 
And that ends headliner installation for the day... :RantExplode:

That's why you start in the back, and use the little wires to hold the rear most bow- as you go forward, the back bow being secured keeps the others from flipping forward-

WINGIN IT

Not sure I understand how to hook the little wire things to the bow, when the bow is in the headliner channels. They are more towards the center of the roof not towards the ends.

And the channel clips or whatever they are called that hold the bows, have a lot of play in them, I am assuming so you can move them forward or back , but not sure which position they should be in when installed.  Straight up? Towards the front?  :shruggy:

Dirtybird

Bows should be straight up for the most part- actually touching the roof. The wire hooks for the rear most bow, hook right through the white channel material like a fish hook. Do them first, and work forward with the bows, once there are all in place, pull tight dead center to windshield teeth, and start hooking a few at a time- first right, then left- or vice versa-

WINGIN IT

Thanks, I 'll try again over the weekend.

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

62 Max

When I removed the headliner from my 70 Super Bee about the first inch was cemented to the header panelthat would indicate it was installed front to back.I installed the new one the same way,made it wrinkle free and and probably took less than an hour.The bird was also glued,took it out and reinstalled it,no problems.

FJ5WING

Quote from: 62 Max on September 17, 2012, 05:53:41 PM
The bird was also glued,took it out and reinstalled it,no problems.

hey Bill....do you make house calls! :D
wingless now, but still around.

62 Max

Dirtybird

I do glue where needed after its in place- but I use a brush to control it- I found it easier to go back to front- but whatever works!

WINGIN IT

Quote from: nascarxx29 on September 17, 2012, 03:36:05 PM
Not Superbird but seen this
http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/howto/mopp_0608_mopar_car_headliner_replacement/viewall.html

Thanks I remember that article.

The teeth in the front are under a rubber seal, so it's going to be a bitch to hook in each one.
Do I need to use glue? Hate to as it's messy.  And if so , what kind?

The above link doesn't have the same inserts for the bows, they said they vary.
I wish they had a little more explanation of those wire hooks in the rear, but they only show a picture, and no description.

Will try and get a friend over to help over the weekend. Not doing this again by myself.  :rotz:

bill440rt

:whistling:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,31212.0.html

Just did another one for a friend on his GL. I'll be doing yet another one soon.
Hardest part is the upper corners at the back window.
3M's Super Trim Adhesive works really well. If you get any glue overspray on the headliner, wait a few hours for it to dry completely. You can then remove it by rolling it with your fingers, it will come right off.
:2thumbs:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

RealWing

A photo of the rear wire clip
1970 Superbird 440-6bbl
1969 Barracuda 340 Formula S
1969 Barracuda convertible  6.1 L Hemi
2015 BMW K1600 GTL