News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

won't start after sitting

Started by rayderluvr, September 02, 2012, 09:48:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rayderluvr

Finally got to see/drive my '73 Charger this weekend. If started every day it starts and runs fine, but if it sits  a day or more it will not start without priming. Any suggestions as to the reason?
Thanks!

nvrbdn

if you move the throttle, do you get fuel after the car has been sitting?
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

resq302

What kind of carburetor are you running?  My charger and our challenger does the same thing with a factory Carter.  Or el camino that has a Quadrajet does not seem to have this problem, probably due to the design.  I have noticed this problem more and more with the modern fuels.  I think a lot of it has to do with evaporation from the carb bowls.  Like NVRBDN said, try moving the throttle with the engine off and the air filter housing off and see if you are getting any squirt from your accel pump.  If not, there is a good chance that the fuel has evaporated out.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Chryco Psycho

alcohol in the fuel , it evapoates quicly

Brightyellow69rtse

my thermoquad used to do the same thing. if i remember right the gas would leak back into the line out of the carb if it sat for a day or so. it would always start but when that happened it needed to be crankedover a ton to get the fuel back up there.

Cooter

Electric Fuel pump.....Works every time.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

c00nhunterjoe

I do not have this problem with my holley's. I can go a month or so without running and give it 2 or 3 pumps and it fires right up. (Mechanical pump)  My neighbor has an edlebrock on his pickup and after 2 days its bone dry. Not sure why the style carb has anything to do with it as they all have bowl vents, but it seems the afb's and eddys are more prone to the problem.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on September 03, 2012, 09:17:27 AM
I do not have this problem with my holley's. I can go a month or so without running and give it 2 or 3 pumps and it fires right up. (Mechanical pump)  My neighbor has an edlebrock on his pickup and after 2 days its bone dry. Not sure why the style carb has anything to do with it as they all have bowl vents, but it seems the afb's and eddys are more prone to the problem.

:iagree:  Another reason I switched back to my Holley from the restored Carter I had...

Sometimes starts TOO fast after sitting for a few days....will crank engine a bit without the single gas pedal pump it takes to restart just to get the oil circulating a bit...
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on September 03, 2012, 10:20:20 AM
Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on September 03, 2012, 09:17:27 AM

:iagree:  Another reason I switched back to my Holley from the restored Carter I had...

Sometimes starts TOO fast after sitting for a few days....will crank engine a bit without the single gas pedal pump it takes to restart just to get the oil circulating a bit...

Mine usually kicks off before the 1st rotation ends.

twodko

In my case I don't have the heat block off thingy so after my car sits a few days the fuel in the drab has evaped and even some of the fuel in the line to it as well. I gotta crank it several times and pump hell out of it before it fires.  :Twocents:
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

B5charger

It 's the crappy fuel evaporating.  I found a spacer will work for shorter term restarting lik after a couple of hours, but after sitting for numerous days the best solution I found was an electrical fuel pump.

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: twodko on September 03, 2012, 11:50:40 AM
In my case I don't have the heat block off thingy so after my car sits a few days the fuel in the drab has evaped and even some of the fuel in the line to it as well. I gotta crank it several times and pump hell out of it before it fires.  :Twocents:

I run iron heads without the block off either.

Sitting for a week, no issues. Try swapping carbs unless you re staying origonal.
http://youtube.com/watch?feature=plpp&v=49tXvZX50BI

twodko

Bump.......what's a decent elec fuel pump and it's cost?
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

rayderluvr

It is the stock Carter, recently "rebuilt"......I guess I will just be sure to start it daily or keep some gas in a can handy......

NHCharger

I have eddys on both my Chargers. Same problem. I have a manual choke on the 72, makes a big difference, but still need to pump the pedal a bit if it sits for more than a week.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel