News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Trans leak and shift question

Started by Dodgerdallas, September 02, 2012, 04:10:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dodgerdallas

My trans is seeping from the lever on the left side that goes to the carb linkage.The trans may be a little overfilled a pint or so but should it be leaking even if its overfilled?Is there a seal or gasket for the lever and can it be fixed w/o removing the trans? Also the trans revs a little between shifts sometimes-any ideas?
This is gonna be cheap and easy......

471_Magnum

Yes. There is a selector shaft seal that can be replaced, but it's a PITA in vehicle.

If you're flaring between gears, you've got slippage. It's probably time for a rebuild.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

Dodgerdallas

Crap that's what I thought with the rebuild,thanks

FLG

Is the kickdown linkage adjusted properly?

471_Magnum

Quote from: FLG on September 02, 2012, 08:29:57 PM
Is the kickdown linkage adjusted properly?
That was going to be my next question, but if it's already flaring, the damage is done. More throttle pressure will help, but you're on borrowed time.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

Dodgerdallas

Yes it was slipping a lot worse before I adj the linkage,I followed the Chilton along w some instruction here to the T and it helped a lot- so just detach from the carb and extend it out to put more pressure? How far
Should I extend,1/4,1/2"?

Dodgerdallas

On the selector shaft seal,the Trans shop said they could change it while in the car but would have to drop the pan and plate at 140.00-is this pretty straight forward w no surprises that can be done at home or does it take any special tools?? also where do I pick up a seal and or gaskets for this?

Hemidog

You don't need any special tools, I found the best way is to drop the pan and valve body, if the tranny is in the car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWBZlJeI-X0

Replace the kickdown seal too (the rubber ring on top) (P/N 2466548)

It's a very straightforward job, although a little messy.  use a little bit of fine sandpaper on the selector shaft if it has grooves/corrosion on it, for a better seal.

Dodgerdallas

Thanks for the info,as far as the part # who is that with or do does Oreillys need to cross ref it?

Hemidog

That is the factory part number, I'm not sure how Oreilly works, but i found the parts easily on Rockauto.com
Selector seal is P/N 3878447. Please note if your 727 is in a '66 Charger, the the seal works on 727's and 904's from '66 and upwards, so it might be an idea to double check compatibility.

Valve body removal:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9O3lnHMuMA

Dodgerdallas