News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Keep the Dixie on the General

Started by Bobs69, August 30, 2012, 09:09:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

I'm shocked.  I wonder how long before some do-gooder group takes up the opposite stance now that its become something in the public eye?

Cooter

'Ya know, it's funny....Round here, it's the White people that are all stuck up when they pass my GL....EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THE BLACK[African American] Folk absolutly love it.

Tell you like a black friend once told me...."There's a difference between that flag on that car's roof and flying one off the back of your buddies jacked up 4WD, driving round looking for trouble"..

I swear, I think the White folk are in such a hurry to try and stir up sh*t over something as American as the General Lee, they screw themselves. The black folks watched that show back in 1980 just like we did. Hell, I wonder if any of these "Offended" Even Remember the black guy putting gas in Jessie's truck in "High OCtane"???

Look in your history books and tell me what kind of flag is flying off the back of the slave ships? Yep, the AMERICAN FLAG, not some Confederate flag. Just because a couple REDNECK idiots back in the late 20's wore some white sheets and used this perticular flag as a shield, doesn't mean that I have to give up my Southern pride because of a couple "Offended" people. It's heritage, not hate. I approve of this post and if you have a problem with my Confed. flag on the roof of my General Lee, you can eat sh*t, burn in hell, and go off somewhere and die.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Indygenerallee

And if anybody ever cared to do any research they would find out that "Horrible, evil, racist" flag was originally the Scottish flag that was adapted over the original stars and bars because when it was draped it was confused with "old glory" on the battlefield so most folks had a scottish flag from their homeland so they simply modified it. And the crap that is re-hashed and re-lived about the war being over slavery is BS, The rich northerners had just as many "Servants" (nice term for slave) as the south did.

scottish-flag by indygenerallee1, on Flickr
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Ghoste

Agreed, it had more to do with federalism versus the rights of states than anything else.  Abolition was a hot topic at the time and made a great issue to rally around.  Arguing about history aside, I wonder if this changes things for GL diecasts?

Indygenerallee

Supposedly yesterday WB released a statement saying they had "no intention" of removing the flag off the General Lee! I think the national attention was a bit too much and they had to do something, but they could just be saying that to get the outrage to calm down, hopefully they don't take it off..

Indygenerallee

Warner Bros. says it's not taking Confederate Flag off the General Lee

Thursday August 30, 2012 2:15 PM

"Dukes of Hazzard" fans don't have anything to be upset about after all.

A Warner Brothers Consumer Products spokesperson says they "were not, and are not planning to change the design of the General Lee on merchandise."

Reports on the Internet had claimed that Warner planned to remove the Confederate Flag from the roof of toy versons of the General Lee. Fans started an online petition asking Warner to change its mind. And Ben Jones, who played Cooter on the show, issued a statement opposing the plan. But the spokesperson says the reports are "inaccurate."

Ghoste

Sure runs counter to what people actually involved in the diecast business were apparently being told.

Indygenerallee

Yes, I had contacted WB at least 3 times and complained, as I said I think this was something they thought they could pull off without a huge backlash (still might) As I know several diecast dealers and they were told January 1st, 2013 there would not be anymore General Lee's with the Confederate flag made..

Ghoste

If it turns out the flag remains (and I still wonder how this will all pan out- the groups normally offended by this seemingly were unaware of it and they will be now) I feel bad for anyone who paid through the nose (did anyone?) to get one of the last of the real GL diecasts.  I know a lot of dealers had them flying out the door.

skip68

Cooter is 100% right.   The only bad comments I ever got about my General Lee was from white folks.   I call it "white mans guilt".    :yesnod: ::)
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

mrsskip68

Old Moparz

I stockpile Dixie cups in case the south ever rises again.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

hatersaurusrex

I grew up listening to Skynyrd and watching the Dukes, so I always just associated the flag with things I thought were cool.    I was well into adulthood before I realized anyone was offended over it, and you're right, it typically is silly white people being offended - on someone else's behalf no less.   What a waste of engery.
[ŌŌ]ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ[ŌŌ] = 68
[ŌŌ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ŌŌ] = 69
(ŌŌ)[ƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗ](ŌŌ) = 70

Cooter

I drove him today in total protest. Had a VERY good AF customer/Client come by and she LOVES it. Can't get enoguh, even has intentions on buying it. I asked "Steph, Ain't that there Flag gonna cause you some trouble round your people?"

Reply..."No, MY people know our history"...

Amen, Steph, Amen Girl.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Ghoste

Because at the end we are all just "us" people (some can't get that though).

Fred

Quote from: Old Moparz on August 31, 2012, 10:42:14 AM
I stockpile Dixie cups in case the south ever rises again.

It has to get above north to rise  :smilielol: :smilielol: an impossible feat geographically speaking.

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Brock Lee

myk

By merely getting out of bed you've already offended half of the planet.  At this point in my life, I just don't give a hoot anymore.  If someone's offended by something about me then that's their problem...

Ghoste

I thought the one guy on here connected with the diecast industry said they had been contacted by WB?  I'll have to locate the thread and re-read it.

bull

Reminds me of a move here in Oregon to ban any high school mascot reference to indians led by a commission of mostly white people. When some indians complained that the ban did nothing to address the real issue, and believed that many of the schools mascots should be left alone (including one of their own), they were basically told by the white folks that they were wrong.

"Both tribes (Confederated Tribes of Grande Ronde and The Confederated Tribes of Siletz Indians) had previously opposed a blanket ban, asking the board to endorse an alternate rule that would have allowed local tribes to work with schools on their portrayal of Native culture. The Siletz had hoped their public charter school could keep its Indian chief mascot and that other schools that wished to keep their mascots could do so if they provided cultural studies to combat stereotypes.

Brenda Frank, the chairwoman of the Oregon Board of Education -- and a member of the Klamath Tribes -- said she understood the tribe's concerns but ultimately disagreed."

Ghoste

Gives a whole new meaning to "whitewashing" the past.  I found the thread where I thought it was more direct about WB's involvement but they don't appear to have directly contacted anyone.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,88187.msg1077233.html#msg1077233

Kern Dog

The whole PC/Political Correct trend is for assclowns. Sometimes, people get offended for the silliest reasons despite nothing being wrong. To try to appease every OVERsensitive weenie is an effort in futility.
I'm sure that I offend some now and then, and I also get offended. It happens. What do I do? I take it like a man and move on. Others should do the same. Life is NOT about apologizing all of the time. You'd never get anywhere living your life that way.