News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Distributor retard

Started by flyinlow, August 30, 2012, 01:26:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flyinlow

Where any Mopar distributors equipped with an electric retard as part of the vacuum advance?

Having hot start issues with a 440 when I increased the base timing.

firefighter3931

Never heard ofany type of retard in the vacuum cannister  :scratchchin:

What starter are you using Craig ? Stock or mini ?

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

b5blue

I think I saw that part listed on eBay in the past, something like 71 6 bbl only?  :scratchchin:

flyinlow

Quote from: firefighter3931 on August 31, 2012, 09:56:04 PM
Never heard ofany type of retard in the vacuum cannister  :scratchchin:

Ron

Son's car 9.5 cr (we think) iron heads . Old style starter. A mini would be a good idea. Even have a used one sitting around,but I don't want to mess with his old headers until the driving season is over.

cdr

sounds like you have a dist problem,what is the initial & total timing set at
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

flyinlow

I tried 15* BTDC but hot starts where a problem.  Starts Ok with 10* , but then not enough total.  Put faster springs in starts advancing about 1500rpm and all in at about 2500 rpm.  Distributor was rusty and gunked up and the vacuum advance leaked badly.

Not sure my dial back timming light is working right.   It doesn't work right on my MSD equipted car , but this car has a stock Mopar electronic ignition. Need to clean up and mark the dampner with 30* and 40* marks

74bluecharger440

i'm haveing the same hot start problem with my 440 . also MSD ignition, i've tried lots of things, but pretty sure the  timeing is the problem now, I will follow this thread to get  advice ..Thanks .

cdr

if it just spins slow probably not timing,but if it spins fast then slow,fast slow,like rump rump rump rump thats a timing issue
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

shorty442

pretty.sure.way.back.when.,.....my.buddy's.'70.440.4spd.had.an.elect.retard.for.starting.purposes---likely.due.to.being.a.California.car;...smog,. emissions,etc..

nvrbdn

70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

A383Wing

flyinlow

Has trouble cranking after a 10 minute stop. Pull the coil wire and it cranks OK. Retard the timing and it starts when warm. I have a mini starter on my 440 and run 24* BTDC at idle and it starts fine warm. Different build with aluminum heads.

Quote from: 74bluecharger440 on September 01, 2012, 04:16:42 PM
i'm haveing the same hot start problem with my 440 . also MSD ignition, i've tried lots of things, but pretty sure the  timeing is the problem now, I will follow this thread to get  advice ..Thanks .

MSD just makes some dial back timing lights act funny. Their ignitions boxes are fine. They actually make boxes that retard the timing during cranking.

Quote from: shorty442 on September 01, 2012, 05:43:07 PM
pretty.sure.way.back.when.,.....my.buddy's.'70.440.4spd.had.an.elect.retard.for.starting.purposes---likely.due.to.being.a.California.car;...smog,. emissions,etc..

Thanks, I will do some looking.

firefighter3931

Quote from: flyinlow on September 01, 2012, 12:15:04 PM
Quote from: firefighter3931 on August 31, 2012, 09:56:04 PM
Never heard ofany type of retard in the vacuum cannister  :scratchchin:

Ron

Install the mini starter and your problems will be over. I have one on the 572 with the timing locked out at 35* and that little badboy spins the motor over like nobody's business  :scratchchin:

Ron

Son's car 9.5 cr (we think) iron heads . Old style starter. A mini would be a good idea. Even have a used one sitting around,but I don't want to mess with his old headers until the driving season is over.
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs