News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Any fix for loose valve/rocker adjusters?

Started by Dodgerdallas, August 15, 2012, 01:51:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dodgerdallas

Trying to set valves for 66 318 and some of the screw adjusters are so loose in their holes they can be turned by fingers- are these supposed to have tension to hold their adjustment? I pulled some out of an old head and still just as loose so I guess the looseness is in the rocker,any fix on this w/o buying new adjusters or would new ones even help?
This is gonna be cheap and easy......

Chryco Psycho

most have a locknut on the adjuster
I suppose you could install helicoils to restore the threads  but the adjuster will still rotate freely

Dodgerdallas

My adjusters are only 1 1/2" long,that only leaves 1/8" or less for a adj nut-which would be great,you know of any that are a bit longer that would work?

Chryco Psycho

I wonder if the adjusters from Crane rockers for example are the same diameter & thread , I know Crane is in limbo right now they went out of business but some products are still available , there are numerous rocker makes though .
T& D , Jesel , Harland Sharp , PRW , 440 source etc , someone should have parts available .

Dodgerdallas

Yeah I found one place called Hawkins speed shop,their called rocker arm adjusting screws in their store and 3/8 longer w nut at 72.00 plus shipping for complete set-ouch! This was supposed to be inexspensive.Their listed for big block Mopar,what I need though but out of stock for 2 weeks at least.Ill check some of the places you suggested,thanks

John_Kunkel

The original adjusters have an interference thread, after so many adjustments they lose the interference. One way to tighten them again is to lay the adjuster screws on an anvil and peen the threads a little...hillbilly but it works.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Dodgerdallas

My middle name is hillbilly-I'll try it on a couple and see thanks

cdr

also put A LITTLE blue locktite on the threads should help
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Chryco Psycho

not sue locktite will hold on a part that takes as much pounding as that does but it is worth a try

cdr

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on August 15, 2012, 10:43:17 PM
not sue locktite will hold on a part that takes as much pounding as that does but it is worth a try
very true ,but along with peening the threads the locktite should help,heck that stuff would hold my rattle trap harley together lol
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Dodgerdallas

Napa has them in name brands for 2.99 ea in case anyone wants to know....

Chryco Psycho

Dodgerdallas

Replacements,Sealed Power- Part # SEPMR1933